hello all, im new here. my parents bought me one of those ibanez electric guitar jumpstart kits back in january and thats the first guitar ive had. i never really started "polaying" until mid to late march so id say ive been playing a good 4-5 months. anyway recently ive been having alot of trouble with the strings. they seem to keep snapping at the nut. i followed the instructions on how to string it and i followed them all. but i was starting to think maybe its time for a new guitar i feel that i deserve a little better than this guitar, it is a pretty good guitar for a beginner but once i start noticing things when playing songs i dont like all the things about it. so my question is what would a good upgrade be from this guitar, anything under $350 is my price range. i want to stay with the ibanez guitars so i was looking at the tremolo series guitars(love me some whammy) and i like the rg350dx. sorry for the long post
first, post what u play.

second, don't abuse the tremolo too much.

third, use quality strings. Ernie Ball, D'addario, DR, they don't snap at the nut from normal playing.

yea.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
first off u should stick with the guitar u got and just get better then go on the another guitar...and re-stringing ur guitar with a tremlo is really different then with the jump start one
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
i mostly play things like incubus, sublime, some jimi hendrix, franz ferdinand those kinds of genres. i dont use the tremolo on this guitar at all, i just find it a hassle and it makes the strings go out of tune a little bit. and i do use quality strings they were d addario strings. hope that helps, thanks alot
replace the nut. its probably sharp or sumtin.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by violencekid9
first off u should stick with the guitar u got and just get better then go on the another guitar...and re-stringing ur guitar with a tremlo is really different then with the jump start one
why do you say that, is it because it has a floyd rose, or a locking trem?
If you've been playing 4-5 months then you don't need a new guitar, you've said it's a good guitar for a beginner and you're still very much a beginner. To be honest your kind of attitude annoys me somewhat, it gives me the impression that you're blaming the instrument on your own shortcomings. You certainly don't "deserve" a new guitar after such a short time, and it won't make you play any better. You may have a sharp bit on the nut though, just take it to a shop to get fixed, it'll cost peanuts.

One thing I will recommend is replacing your amp, those starter pack amps tend to sound awful and can be quite discouraging. Ultimately when you're learning to play you want it to sound good, and it's a lot more rewarding when it does. I'd get yourself a Vox Valvetronix 30 watter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 8, 2007,
^ He's right

I didn't even get a new one after 2 years of playing. And definately a new amp. Vox AD15VT possibly.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Yeah, I think you should wait before doing something like that. 4/5 months is absolutely nothing, you're not supposed to be needing a new guitar at such a basic stage. Like the guy above, I played for almost 2 years and I don't even feel the need of a new guitar. If you keep having those strings problem, just take them to a professional or someone who's done it before.
Quote by rabidguitarist
safe mode is like safe sex. there are so many things you can't do.
Quote by steven seagull
If you've been playing 4-5 months then you don't need a new guitar, you've said it's a good guitar for a beginner and you're still very much a beginner. To be honest your kind of attitude annoys me somewhat, it gives me the impression that you're blaming the instrument on your own shortcomings. You certainly don't "deserve" a new guitar after such a short time, and it won't make you play any better. You may have a sharp bit on the nut though, just take it to a shop to get fixed, it'll cost peanuts.

One thing I will recommend is replacing your amp, those starter pack amps tend to sound awful and can be quite discouraging. Ultimately when you're learning to play you want it to sound good, and it's a lot more rewarding when it does. I'd get yourself a Vox Valvetronix 30 watter.

yes, i am terribly sorry that did sound a bit arrogant after reading it and thats not how i wanted it to sound. it just felt like the other guitar was alot more comfortable to play. the guitar i tried today was an ibanez rg321, it was only $200 so i didnt think i was being snobbish or anything, i just felt like it would inspire me to play more i might just end up keeping this one.
No offense, but DUH getting a guitar other than a simple starter pack is 99% guaranteed to be more comfortable...
Quote by rabidguitarist
Quote by Sami_296
No offense, but DUH getting a guitar other than a simple starter pack is 99% guaranteed to be more comfortable...

alright i guess i deserved that. but what do you think is a good time to get a new one, or atleast a small upgrade. any certain skill level or anything?
Quote by NightFang
alright i guess i deserved that. but what do you think is a good time to get a new one, or atleast a small upgrade. any certain skill level or anything?

I'll wait till I really become a really good guitarist that mastered everything I find important for my playing to be excellent/nearly perfect (For example Sweep/alt. picking, tapping, legato, vibrato, theory, etc.)...Of course hardly anyone can wait that long, but you see, I'm sure that if you get another guitar before you play really well/have knowledge of stuff like Tone and if its a good guitar for shredding/sweeping/tapping etc. etc. then there's a 70%-80% chance you'll find something missing from what you thought will be your dream axe...

And if you're really considering a small upgrade, I'm kinda against it too....except if your guitar is really the suckiest thing ever made on earth, then buy something that just 'does the job', knowing that you're still at a level where something very expensive and full of features wouldn't really help you in any way.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Last edited by Sami_296 at Jul 8, 2007,
I would buy a new guitar if you feel you have out grown the one you have...nothing wrong with doing that...I dont see why you have to wait to buy something better...there is no rule saying you have to be at this point in time playing wise to have something nicer...actually a nicer guitar will help you improve faster I would think.

You could also try using nut sauce on the guitar you have now...just google guitar nut sauce and see what I mean.

Nut Sauce will reduce pitch drift, eliminate string breakage, increase sustain and harmonics by ending negative stresses behind nut/bridge/saddle.

you can't restring the guitar you have, what chance are you gonna have with a floyd-rose tremolo to deal with aswell? if you think you need a new guitar to sound good then you obviously haven't been playing enough. You should be able to sound amazing on the axe you have before getting a new one (imo). Any new one should have stuff customized for your playing, shouldn't make a loud buzz and shouldn't go out of tune with a whammy. I'm actually looking for a cheaper guitar so I can customize it and make it my own.
I don't think a "better" guitar would really improve your playing but i think a worse guitar would make you the guitarist you are going to be. If you can play amazing with the worst, imagine what you could do with the best. That's the way I see it. Also, my idea of being able to play the guitar is being able to pick up any axe and one day being able to play something that sounds amazing on anything I play and still sound like me at the same time. Any expensive guitar is going to ruin that and make me dependant upon only "the best". I also can't afford anything better so I have to think like this to keep my spirits up.
I do, however, see a lot of guitarists on here who rely on a lot of gear for the sound they want. It's a fine line between trying to play the sound in your head and just wasting money. I think in 95% of cases it's the latter.
Quote by untalented
you can't restring the guitar you have, what chance are you gonna have with a floyd-rose tremolo to deal with aswell? if you think you need a new guitar to sound good then you obviously haven't been playing enough. You should be able to sound amazing on the axe you have before getting a new one (imo). Any new one should have stuff customized for your playing, shouldn't make a loud buzz and shouldn't go out of tune with a whammy. I'm actually looking for a cheaper guitar so I can customize it and make it my own.
I don't think a "better" guitar would really improve your playing but i think a worse guitar would make you the guitarist you are going to be. If you can play amazing with the worst, imagine what you could do with the best. That's the way I see it. Also, my idea of being able to play the guitar is being able to pick up any axe and one day being able to play something that sounds amazing on anything I play and still sound like me at the same time. Any expensive guitar is going to ruin that and make me dependant upon only "the best". I also can't afford anything better so I have to think like this to keep my spirits up.
I do, however, see a lot of guitarists on here who rely on a lot of gear for the sound they want. It's a fine line between trying to play the sound in your head and just wasting money. I think in 95% of cases it's the latter.

no im not getting the one with the floyd rose, i decided against it after reading up on it more and from the reaction i got here. but the guitar (rg321) is not like ULTRA good or anything, i just feel that it would inspire me more, also since that was the guitar i wanted for like 6 months and then i had to get that one since it was "more cost efficient) but that story is too long to get into. i may end up sticking with this one depending on how things turn out. and its not like i cant play this one i guess its just a mental thing really.
i had a cheapie guitar when I first started playing and upgraded after less than a month of playing because the guitar wasnt good enough (guitar was a gift)...you dont have to be an expert to know when a product kind of sucks...plus crappier guitars are sometimes harder to play (especially acoustics) so why not buy something better.

It didnt hurt my playing...in fact it made it easier to learn...Its been many a year since that first cheapie guitar however I wouldnt hesitate to buy a new one if you want one.
Quote by D_Vincent
i had a cheapie guitar when I first started playing and upgraded after less than a month of playing because the guitar wasnt good enough (guitar was a gift)...you dont have to be an expert to know when a product kind of sucks...plus crappier guitars are sometimes harder to play (especially acoustics) so why not buy something better.

It didnt hurt my playing...in fact it made it easier to learn...Its been many a year since that first cheapie guitar however I wouldnt hesitate to buy a new one if you want one.

yea thats how i felt. it depends on how much trade in value i get for the one i have now.
Why shouldn't he get a new guitar? If he's in to guitar and wants a new better one than some starter then let him get it! There's definately no rule that you have to wait to buy new equipment. Getting an axe you truly love and that you picked out yourself as oppose to one just gifted you will probably make you even happier about playing guitar and motivate you more. If YOU feel like you want a new guitar, get one. I find it kind of snooty when people rag on others saying they don't deserve a good guitar because they aren't gods yet. And I've never seen Night Fang say anything about blaming the guitar on his inability to do something, he said he didn't like it's sound. He didn't say, "damn this guitar is so ugly I just can do hammer ons or pull offs with it! Gah!"
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by 3holepunch
Why shouldn't he get a new guitar? If he's in to guitar and wants a new better one than some starter then let him get it! There's definately no rule that you have to wait to buy new equipment. Getting an axe you truly love and that you picked out yourself as oppose to one just gifted you will probably make you even happier about playing guitar and motivate you more. If YOU feel like you want a new guitar, get one. I find it kind of snooty when people rag on others saying they don't deserve a good guitar because they aren't gods yet. And I've never seen Night Fang say anything about blaming the guitar on his inability to do something, he said he didn't like it's sound. He didn't say, "damn this guitar is so ugly I just can do hammer ons or pull offs with it! Gah!"

thanks for the support guys. at first i didnt think i was going to get a warm welcome because of the first responses but as i can see there are alot of cool people on here. ill be sure to let you guys know if i get it this week or not. can anyone reccomend a nice amp? not too expensive though, like $120 or under.
As for amps the only thing I can see out there that looks half decent for the price are "Line 6" products.

Ive read reviews on their amps and the majority of people seem to like them...I think I would avoid any "Behringer" product because reviews are not so favorable.

"Behringer" and "Line 6" are the only two products that seem to be in your price range...I dont recommend buying very low watt amps...15 watt or something isnt good enough.

For around $200 to $300 I would buy a Line 6 30 watt amp...30 watts is plenty for playing at home.

Here are some examples of amps for the price range
http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=BrandSearch&nCategory=952&nLevel=4&nBrand=79&szSearch=line%206

I live in Canada so the site im linking to is for Canada however just go to the popular U.S online stores if you want to by online...I am assuming your in the U.S though.

Line 6 amps...Footswitchs cost extra...need footswitch to change from clean to Distortion channels since these amps are combo amps.

http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=BrandSearch&nCategory=782&nLevel=4&nBrand=79&szSearch=line%206

Line 6 products
http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=Search
Quote by D_Vincent
As for amps the only thing I can see out there that looks half decent for the price are "Line 6" products.

Ive read reviews on their amps and the majority of people seem to like them...I think I would avoid any "Behringer" product because reviews are not so favorable.

"Behringer" and "Line 6" are the only two products that seem to be in your price range...I dont recommend buying very low watt amps...15 watt or something isnt good enough.

For around $200 to $300 I would buy a Line 6 30 watt amp...30 watts is plenty for playing at home.

Here are some examples of amps for the price range
http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=BrandSearch&nCategory=952&nLevel=4&nBrand=79&szSearch=line%206

I live in Canada so the site im linking to is for Canada however just go to the popular U.S online stores if you want to by online...I am assuming your in the U.S though.

Line 6 amps...Footswitchs cost extra...need footswitch to change from clean to Distortion channels since these amps are combo amps.

http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=BrandSearch&nCategory=782&nLevel=4&nBrand=79&szSearch=line%206

Line 6 products
http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=Search

yea, this amp the kit came with is a 15watt. sure its good when your a complete begineer but once you know what your looking for you start to see the flaws which is the time i was waiting for to start thinking about upgrading.
Line 6 Spiders are atrocious, there's much better stuff available for the same price. For $120 you could get yourself a Roland Microcube. Don't be fooled by it only being 2 watts, it's surprisingly loud and the sound quality eclipses any of the no-name 10-15 watters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by NightFang
thanks for the support guys. at first i didnt think i was going to get a warm welcome because of the first responses but as i can see there are alot of cool people on here. ill be sure to let you guys know if i get it this week or not. can anyone reccomend a nice amp? not too expensive though, like $120 or under.

Hello!

So you're pretty much a newbie guitar player. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and, while I don't have a crappy beginner guitar, even if I did I wouldn't go out after just a few months of playing and buy a new one. Especially one that's in the 200 dollar price range because how much of an "upgrade" is that really going to be?

I would use the one you have for a while longer, save up some more money and then when you feel like you're really ready for a new guitar, you'll have the money to spend on something much nicer than what you're currently using.

You irritate me. Everyone has given you good advice but just because it's not the advice you wanted to hear, those people are not "cool." But the people who did tell you what you wanted to hear are. If you already know what you want to do and you're going to do it no matter what advice you get from better and more experienced players, why bother to come onto the forums and ask?

Be a little more thoughtful in the way you phrase your questions and posts, and you'll get -alot- more positive responses. Trust me on that one.

And good luck with your guitar.
Quote by HollyW07
Hello!

So you're pretty much a newbie guitar player. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and, while I don't have a crappy beginner guitar, even if I did I wouldn't go out after just a few months of playing and buy a new one. Especially one that's in the 200 dollar price range because how much of an "upgrade" is that really going to be?

I would use the one you have for a while longer, save up some more money and then when you feel like you're really ready for a new guitar, you'll have the money to spend on something much nicer than what you're currently using.

You irritate me. Everyone has given you good advice but just because it's not the advice you wanted to hear, those people are not "cool." But the people who did tell you what you wanted to hear are. If you already know what you want to do and you're going to do it no matter what advice you get from better and more experienced players, why bother to come onto the forums and ask?

Be a little more thoughtful in the way you phrase your questions and posts, and you'll get -alot- more positive responses. Trust me on that one.

And good luck with your guitar.

yea i know, i just wanted to see second opinions. but the guitar isint some cheapo. the rg321 is a good guitar, its only $200 because they are having a sale and its not new in box.
^^^

Well if that's what you want to get, then no one is stopping you. Just make sure you don't buy something that you're going to regret buying, because then you'll never want to play it.
Quote by HollyW07
^^^

Well if that's what you want to get, then no one is stopping you. Just make sure you don't buy something that you're going to regret buying, because then you'll never want to play it.

oh no thats most definetely not the case
I'm in a pretty similar situation, both being new around here and fairly new to serious playing. I was also in the situation where my first guitar, an old Peavey raptor EXP (basically a H/S/S strat clone in the sub $150 range) just didn't seem like it was doing it for me. It has a very round, somewhat think neck and I was having troubles as a result of sometimes not being able to get my fingers where I wanted them.

So I decided to hit the local Guitar store, and picked up a second cheap guitar, an Ibanez RG-120. With the Ibanez style neck (a little wider and a lot thinner and flater), I was suddenly able to do a lot of things and my playing progressed better, IMO.

But eventually, I got to the point where there were styles I couldn't make sound right on the 120, so I picked the Peavey back up and it was like a totally new experience for me. With the fingering confidence I had picked up on the Ibanez, I could suddenly do all the things that I couldn't do before, and which led me to buying my second guitar to begin with. Plus, with the strat-style pickup, I could achieve tones and styles the Ibanez just couldn't pull off no matter what I tried (nothing beats single coils in the neck for bluesy tones IMO).

So I guess my advice would be, if the guitar you have now isn't doing it for you, then by all means look at some new stuff (and BTW, the RG321 is an excellent, lower-middle of the road choice, probably the best you can do for under $300 or so). But don't think that a new guitar is going to be the magical cure. It might help out in the short-term (neck sizes and shapes make a huge difference in the beginning steps of learning, something I haven't seen mentioned here so far), but in the long run you will be just as good on your old guitar as you will on your new one, and you might miss out on some of the tone you could get out of the old one but can't from the 321.

As for amps, no doubt unless you have a few extra bucks or a lot of time and skill to mod out a valve jr. (and even then, it's only good for "a" style, while being diverse in what that style is depending on your mods) go with the microcube. Best SS for the price right now, and it doesn't suffer too much from the "fake" sound a lot of modeling amps seem to be plagued with.
$120 might get you a used Vox AD15VT, which is a great great practice amp. I'd sell you mine if I didn't like it.
I used the same guitar from 7th grade till about 5 months ago, finally got me Strat!, but I was fine with it, if you really feel you are ready for a new guitar go for it. And no offense to HollyW07 but I wouldn't really take advice from someone whose's been playing guitar for a couple of weeks.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
RG321MH are good guitars for the price, Go with a roland cube (Minus the cube 15) or vox valvtronix. The spider amps are not good quality and they sound awful once you hear a real amp. The cubes and valvetronic amps at least have decent modelling.
Yeah I still don't see how Nightfang has been rude in anyway, even with all the people telling him irritates them and ragging on him he seems cool about it. And for a person only playing for two weeks you really shouldn't be jumping down his throat either. You have a different opinion thats fine, but no one really cares if Nightfang irritates you...so don't tell us about it.

Personally I'm all about acoustic guitar so I don't know too much about what amps are good at that price range, but Vincent seems to know a lot and same with some other people here. I'd just make sure to check consumer reviews and really check out any amp before you buy it so you make sure to not get screwed.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

As for the Line 6 products...I never actually used or owned one however the majority of reviews seem positive.

Here are some comments for the line 6 spider II 112...I believe its the 75 watt amp which runs around $250 - $270 online...Ive also read great reviews for other Line 6 amps as well...it seems people like them.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi.../spider_ii_112/

The reviews are generally either from kids that wouldn't know a good tone if it bit them on the ass, or people who do know better but refuse to admit they bought a lemon....the Line 6 spider is junk. The Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix are similar products in the same price range but both offer far better value for money and superior performance.

I don't think people have exactly been overly harsh on Nightfang, it's more brutally frank. After a few short months of playing the guitar you might think you're great, but you still know next to nothing. Your certainly in no position to make an educated judgement on what makes one guitar better than another. Sure, you've read a load of stuff on the internet, and you know that xxxxx guitar costs more than yours, and looks cooler so must be better. And you're probably right, but you're not in a position to appreciate it or understand why it's better.

4-5 months is nothing, you're still in training wheels and still will be for a while to come. When you've got used to the instrument and can better appreciate the subtleties of it and also have some degree of technical competence then maybe look at an upgrade. There's little point in upgrading unless you can put forward a reasoned case to yourself as to why you need it..."I want that one becasue it's better" isn't really a good enough reason.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 10, 2007,
yeah...I was editing my post when you quoted me...Im not saying I like line 6 or I dont like line 6 because I have not played any...Just have to go by reviews however if you say they are junk I beleive you...I was basically looking for some cheap amps online however its tough to find a good one for cheap.

If anyone has any other suggestions for amps post a link to the amp...Personally I like fender amps however they are more expensive...Fender Princeton Chorus is an awesome amp...at least the ones they built 15 to 20 years ago were good...not sure about the ones they build now...they should still be good though if they even make them anymore...not sure...havnt looked around to see.
Last edited by D_Vincent at Jul 10, 2007,
I got a Line 6 with my first guitar when I went to GC because I didn't know any better. I did alot of research on my guitar I wanted but I didn't even consider amps and cables and the rest of what you need.

I didn't take it back and exchange it because I'm not planning on doing anything spectacular with my amp. It's fine for what I'm doing, which is learning and practicing. Later on down the road once I know more, I might get a different amp but for now, the Line 6 I have does just fine.

The reason I got it was because the guy at GC suggested it to me as a good amp and I didn't know anything about amps and next to nothing about guitars so I went along with what he said and thought I was getting something fabulous.

Research pays off. It really does. I could have gotten something much better for the money I paid for the Line 6 if only I'd just done a little research.
i have a micro cube and its pretty nice, sounds a MASSIVE amount better than the crappo starter package amp i had before

and if you arnt happy with your current guitar and can afford a new one that you like alot better and will enjoy playing more, then go for it
the one thing that puzzles me is that you are willing to spend up to $350 on a guitar but only $120 on an amp? if you spend $350 on an amp you'll be happier with the sound than a better guitar as the amp affects your sound most. if you're getting bored of how your guitar sounds i'd say buy a cheap multi effects pedal, it'll make it a little more fun for you and won't waste so much money. i waited 2 and a half years before i changed guitar and i'm only changing amp now after 3 years, i wish it had been the other way round though. after 5 months i was still stuck playing 'for whom the bell tolls', so unless you're a prodigy i'd say you're at a somewhat similar level and don't need a more professional guitar yet. however i can relate that it does get boring playing the same guitar for ages if it isn't "cool" i mean let's face it if we all had the money to burn we'd all be buying new guitars in our weekly grocery outing anyway if you can't resist the urge just go for it, you only live once, but you honestly don't need a new guitar.

edit: for $350 you could get a vox ad30vt (i thinkit's within $350) which wil do you for the next couple of years as it will do for band practices and small gigs.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Jul 10, 2007,