when amps say that u can plug into extension speakers, does that mean i can just buy a cab and plug it into that, or is it more complicated?
spinelss
uh... i kinda don't get what ur saying... but lemme guess.

your cab needs to be more wattage than ur amp's output. if u have a 40watt amp, u'd want more than 80watts. 50 would be kinda iffy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
nah, i mean like, a 60 watt cube isnt big enough do do a large gig, if i put a line out into the cab, would that make it powerfull enough to do large gigs?
spinelss
the output is the same if it goes through an "extension cab" out.

if u go line out, its... is it enough to use on cabs?
isn't line out really small? u should put through a PA if its a line out.

but don't quote me on that...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ahk, i get what ur saying, so to increase volume, i go strait into PA
spinelss
It makes it a bit louder, if you plugged it into am 8x12 stack, it would be around 2x as loud. every doubling of the speakers adds about +3dB. It also spreads the sound better, because it moves more air.

A line out is not for a cab, it's for going into the board. It does not have enough power to drive a cab.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by winno
Just since its on topic, if plugging an extension cab doesn't make the sound louder, then whats the point?

As Rein said, it will increase the volume some. What it really does is give a "fuller" sound, and with the right choice of speakers, can really improve it. I run a Tone Tubby 2x10 in parallel with the stock speaker in my Vox AC30CC1. Not for volume, but for tone. It sounds awesome.

It's not complicated. Just make sure the cab can handle the power, and that the ohms match up.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.