It's my birthday on 9th july and i was wondering if anyone could help selet a guitar.
I'm leaning towards a Gibson Flying V.
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this guitar, or suggest a different one?
uh, i guess cons are

It's expencive.
Pointy ends can get damaged easier than normal shapes when placed down.
V's are awquard to play sitting down.

Pros:
You'll have an expencive guitar.
Should have a nice sound.
Looks cool.
If you ever needed quick cash, you could sell it off and know you will nearly always get *Closeish* to what you payed for it within £200-600 or so, depending on the deal.
v's are meant to be played standing, so if u play mostly sit i dont advice u to buy one..
How much would you be getting for your birthday, just as an estimate?

and i'm guessing you play metal, right?
I've been playing for about 4 years.

My parents said i could get anything

I play all types of music.
Gawd, V's are the EASIEST guitars to sit with. Sit with your thigh inbetween the wings of the V, capeesh? Flying V's are nice. Maybe look into SG's too? Or an American Strat?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by indie guitar
I've been playing for about 4 years.

My parents said i could get anything

I play all types of music.

ANYTHING????? get a vintage LP for $4000 (2500 pounds???)
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
ANYTHING????? get a vintage LP for $4000 (2500 pounds???)

im not going to abuse it though...

ive been playing for 4 years, i want to get something that i like.

i dont want a £2500 guitar until ive been playing a few more years.

but then again... thanks for the idea
definetly, please tell me if your amp is good... like realy good and what brand, and if you have any affects (pedals etc.)
try things out before you buy. and dont shoot lower grade gutars out.

but i like the SG's body and sound. :-D
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
What style of music do you play?

If you play metal go for the Jackson RR24, they play and sound amazing. I could rant about it all day but i won't bother lol. If you really wanna spend alot of money get a jackson soloist or somephing

But I can't really make any good recomendations untill I know what bands you like ext.
Man if you like the V then get it. There isn't anything wrong with those. Always go play it in person at the store and try other things also to make sure. Get what you want and like.
Get an ESP custom... *drools* but seriously, if u play most styles of music I'd get an ESP H-1001 with seymours. Good for cleans and overdrive, and it's pretty damn sexy. Or if ur looking something more expesive, an ESP Eclipse II. There's an ESP for everyone
Seriously, name off some music or artist's you enjoy much. It can help think of better ways to narrow down your guitar choice.

But, i'd say your best bet, based off general reason, would be an American Strat + mods.
A faded Gibson Les Paul or a Standard SG
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
V's aren't that hard to play sitting down, but you have to hold the guitar classical style instead...

I think they're easier to play sitting down than strat-styled bodies, but that's cuz my arm hurts if I play with a strat-style guitar sitting with it in jazz position...
Wow. Gibson Flyng V's rock, but just out of curiousity what amp are you playing it through?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by rhcp_freak
Gawd, V's are the EASIEST guitars to sit with. Sit with your thigh inbetween the wings of the V, capeesh? Flying V's are nice. Maybe look into SG's too? Or an American Strat?

disagree. V's are definately not the easiest to sit with. Thatd probably be a strat or tele, since theyre light and confortably shaped.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
u know what... my birthday is today. 11:53pm. 7 minutes till my birthday is done. and u know what i got?

Eric Clapton: The Autobiography.

loving the book, he writes good stuff, but hey, not a guitar worth $1000.

so consider yourself lucky to get a guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have my my Flying-V, wouldnt trade it for all of king midas's silver (Dodgball reference)
Its really a great guitar.
what the hell, who woke up this freaking thread???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard