It could well be a stupid question, but I'm curious as to how you would go about re-creating bass effects used by Radiohead in the songs 'Exit Music (For a Film)' and 'Myxomatosis', and I suppose in 'Time is Running Out' by Muse.

Is it some sort of extreme fuzz effect that's used, just a plain standard fuzz pedal, an abuse of the production studio or something else entirely? Whatever it is, its damn cool.

Oh, I'm also assuming it is actually the bass doing it, as its exactly the same line as the bass just with this weird sound to it.
Yeah Chris Wolstenholme uses a Russian Big Muff and Colin Greenwood uses a Shin Ei Companion Fuzz and a Lovetone Big Cheese so I think it is really just a very heavy fuzz effect.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
you can get a russian big muff just about anywhere...

dont search for colin's effect though......its obscure and EXTREMELY RARE.... those pedals go for more then 400$ on Ebay, when there is anyone selling them, which is not usual at all... (i mean the Shin Ei Companion Fuzz)

the lovetone big cheese is easier to find, yet the price is very very very high...
Quote by DesolationRow0
you can get a russian big muff just about anywhere...

dont search for colin's effect though......its obscure and EXTREMELY RARE.... those pedals go for more then 400$ on Ebay, when there is anyone selling them, which is not usual at all... (i mean the Shin Ei Companion Fuzz)

the lovetone big cheese is easier to find, yet the price is very very very high...

You must be confused. Just try searching for an envelope filter, on say musicians friend. I bet you can find one for under 100 Bucks.
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
You must be confused. Just try searching for an envelope filter, on say musicians friend. I bet you can find one for under 100 Bucks.

He meant the fuzz pedals not an envelope filter. He wasn't replying to your post. Yes envelope filters are popular for funk playing.
Quote by Bumper

So the Muse guy is using the Big Muff Distortion pedal to make that kind of smooth fuzzy sound at the beginning of 'Time is Running Out'?

Does anyone understand the effect I'm talking about? I just want to make sure there is no miusnderstanding, as I'm not trying to just find out the gear these guys are using.
I think he might use a synth on that intro as well, not just a Big Muff.
Quote by Bumper