Hey

- Basically, I need a fairly good valve amp, for gigs, and playing high gain metal/death metal =]
I was thinking maybe the Peavey ValveKing 1x12?

- My Budget is about up to £300 =[

- I currently have a Crate 30 watt & metal zone pedal... both of which I want to sell =]
And a Jackson Flying V =]

- I'm quite a good player, I play fast & heavy stuff.. with hardly any mistakes =]

^^ don't see the point in that bit...

- And I AM willing to buy used =]

Thanks =]

Oh, I'm from the UK... yeah, it sucks for buying amps.. cos soundcontrol is waay overpriced =[
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Last edited by FNAFJ at Jul 8, 2007,
Grr.. I really need some advice...
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Dont bump your threads, its generally a no-no here.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
k... I'm just worried, cos I've got my first gig coming up.. and all te music shops round here are overpriced...
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

I'm not an expert, and I'm not sure how much they cost in the UK, but you should look for a used Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo (2 x 12). I hear that the Peavey XXX is similar to them, but is a little brighter.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
hmm =P

I'll have a look...

What about teh Valve Kings?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

or the Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 watt
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

I think peaveys are supposed to be overpriced in the UK, but I wouldn't recommend the valveking. All I can think of is the Windsor.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeah.. everything is overpriced over here =\
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

^Not Layneys or Marshalls I hear. Look into Laneys, I don't know any specific models though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
its not that over priced btw
they just seem expensive cause we have VAT, and yeh they a little bit mroe cause we have to import, but look on ebay, best thing is to check them out in music shops, guitarguitar sound control, w/e u like, just say ur thinkin of buying and your saving up
but yeh find the model/s u like and then look on ebay is your best bet, plus u get rlei good deals on ebay if u get a pick up only one,m u may need to travel a couple miles,., but no one bid's on them much, so u get a sweet deal, as is the thni g with most amps caus ethey so huge

p.s. y u want a valve amp for metal? im no expert, but i would assume the more heavy sound of a solid state would be better for that,,, with valves tending to make a LEd Zep kind of sound,,,, btw try a marshel valvestate 101,, altho they dont make em anymore, thats what my guitarest has and its amzing! 100 fucin watts mate! nice, i no
No, valves are good for metal to. Look at Peavey 5150/6505 or the earlier Peavey ultra. Or the Windsor single channel is good for thrash. Also Ashdown Fallen Angel or B-52 AT series. But I have no experience with those last two. Marshall is probably a little expencive for your needs. Valveking are okay amps. Generally beginner valve amps and generally not enough gain for metal. All those are tube amps, you dont need to go SS, but if you cant find a cheap tube amp online, maybe a Roland cube, pretty good SS amps, and they're cheaper than tube amps.
would a Ashdown Fallen Ange 60 watt be good?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

At least half of the metal players on this forum don't like the Valveking. About half do like it with a distortion pedal. If import duties raise the price of the VK over $429 USD (sorry don't know the conversion) it may not be such a good deal for you. You may want to check made in England tube combos. You will need something with a very good efficient speaker to handle metal tones well.
ashdown fallen angel or randall rg50tc would be the two best at that price, as far as I'm aware. you'd need to try them to see which you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeah. Ashdowns are very nice amps, I'm not sure if they will get to the level of gain that you want, but that can be sorted with a stop box of some kind.

Also have a look at the Laney GL series (i think its GL, i cba to look) they are single channel valve amps and sound immense when pushed. You'll need to go used for one of them though.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
i'm not sure if you'll be able to get an ashdown fallen angel, i've been looking everywhere and they're hard to come by. i was advised to try out a randall rg50tc as dave suggested to me also and it's pretty awesome for heavy music

edit: if anyone knows where i can get a fallen angel 412 cab or a 1x12/2x12 pm me please
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Don't get the VK for super high gain stuff unless you have an overdrive pedal. The MT-2 works quite nicely on it too, IMO. I like my VK, but metal isn't it's forte. Check out a XXX instead.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
i'm not sure if you'll be able to get an ashdown fallen angel, i've been looking everywhere and they're hard to come by. i was advised to try out a randall rg50tc as dave suggested to me also and it's pretty awesome for heavy music

edit: if anyone knows where i can get a fallen angel 412 cab or a 1x12/2x12 pm me please

dolphin music in liverpool, maybe. though i'm not sure i'd buy one of their cabs (unless you meant combo), there's a good chance you could get a better cab for not much more money (framus 2x12, for example).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i checked dolphin, they have them all listed but i don't think any are actually in stock. i need to check that out again
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
ah, ok, sorry. i think the fallen angel might have been discontinued, that may be why they're hard to find. i'm not sure if i'd buy one without trying to be honest- especially when you can (most likely) get to try the randall.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, I'm buying form a mate in england.. I live in scotland btw =]
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Quote by uldhppi
At least half of the metal players on this forum don't like the Valveking. About half do like it with a distortion pedal. If import duties raise the price of the VK over $429 USD (sorry don't know the conversion) it may not be such a good deal for you. You may want to check made in England tube combos. You will need something with a very good efficient speaker to handle metal tones well.

made in engalnd? u do reasle that the majority of amps are amde in asian counrtys? and that we have the exactly the same amps and stuff as you, but yeh i dont no about this import cost? the walveking could be gotten at lioke sound control or guitarguitar pretty damn cheap for whts its worth
i would recommend a windsor with a metal muff....you can push that windsor to hell if you know how to do it...it sounds alot better than the valveking...but it only has one channel...i needed a clean channel and the windosr is really hard to go clean with EMGs .....but if all you play is distortion then get the windsor ..i would rate the sound of it close to a 6505...if you know how to use the muff and eq everything

(the vlaveking is a really nice amp..it has enough distortion that keeps the notes ringing clear and not all muddy..and it will sound bright as hell if you eq it like dimebag..lol you have to turn down the treble and raise the mids .....it sound great
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Jul 14, 2007,