I'm thinking about switching the pickups in my rockbass streamer for something a different, perferably EMG's or some other active pickup. They are the soapbar pickups so I would like to get a direct replacement, which one's do you guys perfer? I play little genre's, except for funk and country. Is this bass even worth switching the pickups out for something different?

Thanks
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
I have the warwick rockbass corvette which has the MEC active jazz pickups, and they are quite good. If I were you, I would upgrade my entire bass, and not only my pickups because you will get better sound with a good bass with good pickups than with a cheap bass with very good pickups.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by pagiatis
I have the warwick rockbass corvette which has the MEC active jazz pickups, and they are quite good. If I were you, I would upgrade my entire bass, and not only my pickups because you will get better sound with a good bass with good pickups than with a cheap bass with very good pickups.

That's what I was thinking also. I actually went and looked at Fender MIM Jazz bass yesterday at GC and the neck felt awesome on it, but I just can't bring myself to buy a fender (I'm that kind of guy). I was thinking of either getting a rockbass corvette standard or maybe a second hand warwick corvette standard
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
That's what I was thinking also. I actually went and looked at Fender MIM Jazz bass yesterday at GC and the neck felt awesome on it, but I just can't bring myself to buy a fender (I'm that kind of guy). I was thinking of either getting a rockbass corvette standard or maybe a second hand warwick corvette standard

Why on earth? If it's the bass you want, buy it. Don't go for something worse because you have some retarded notion against fenders.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by pagiatis

RockBass may be Warwicks budget line, but they're far from "cheap".

And to the threadstarter, MEC pickups are extremely good... but aside from that comment I piked out, I'm quite in agreement with pagiatis. They're not all that worth changing, because they're excellent pickups anyhow.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Forcemaster
Why on earth? If it's the bass you want, buy it. Don't go for something worse because you have some retarded notion against fenders.

I don't know, I just don't like to follow the trend, EVERYONE has a fender, although I like the way the jazz felt, I don't think it's my style. So the MEC's are decent pickups? I might just switch out for another bass, not sure
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
I don't know, I just don't like to follow the trend, EVERYONE has a fender, although I like the way the jazz felt, I don't think it's my style. So the MEC's are decent pickups? I might just switch out for another bass, not sure

Might come as a shock to you but on a "pubs, clubs and self-booked" level, I hardly see any Fender instruments at all. Here, at least, the music scenes have been taken over by Gibson/Epiphone, Ibanez and Schecter. Most people I see using Fender gear are the seasoned cover bands and semi-pro older bands that are running the club circuits again.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i think that if you fiddle around a bit, you'll find the tone youre looking for... the warwick has endless tonal options, especially if active...
I believe all Warwick RockBass models have an on-board 2 band EQ (bass/treble, +/-15dB).
Oh come on what an ass! You loved the Fender and yet you won't buy one because they're not your style? I tried a Schecter bass it wasn't my style and yet I still tried it. Why didn't I buy it? Because the sound was a little too growly and biting for what I need it for. Not because it looked "rock" and would be out of place in a "jazz" outfit. I see tonnes of people at jazz concerts playing Schecters, Warwicks and Ibanez...s. Just like I see tonnes of people playing Fender Jazzes at rock gigs. There is no "norm" and there is no bass that should be ignored because people play it too much. Asinine notion.
There are two very similar threads on this subject pertaining to replacing the MEC pickups. They are both in good basses and are good pickups. I think maybe a preamp addition or an amp change is what will get them to the tone they are searching for. I'm not saying this is what they should do , but think about it, good bass, good pickups. Seems like the weak link is somewhere else. IMO
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Quote by Caustic
Might come as a shock to you but on a "pubs, clubs and self-booked" level, I hardly see any Fender instruments at all. Here, at least, the music scenes have been taken over by Gibson/Epiphone, Ibanez and Schecter. Most people I see using Fender gear are the seasoned cover bands and semi-pro older bands that are running the club circuits again.

I play some band nights, and it is a Fender affair. Others and not a Fender is sight.

I was once put off from playing a Fender by this awful awful pop rock group. Both guitarists and the bassists had a white plate on a sunburst finish and a maple neck. I thought it looked so cheesy.

But fate had other plans in me. I now am the proud owner of a Fender Jazz, being for a while a Warwick man. It is funny how musicians change. So to the TS, if you like the Fender, buy it regardless what anyone else thinks. By and large, the audience don't give a flying toss what instrument you're playing. More about how you are playing it.

Anyways, back on topic. Save up and buy a Warwick. That's my opinion.
Thanks for all the input. By me saying it's not my style, meaning the look of the guitar is not one that I am too crazy over, I'm not saying that it won't the style of music I'm playing. I would like to buy a warwick, but I don't have the money for one. BTW, don't know if people are getting them mixed up, I have the warwick rockbass streamer, not the rockbass corvette, the streamer has passive pickups.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
The MEC gold pickups aren't active. The 9v you are putting into the back your Bass are powering an EQ module that is controlling your volume and tone. This is essentially like having passive pickups and a two band EQ/Volume pedal built into your guitar. The neck pickup on my Vampyre sounded like someone farting into an oil can complete GARBAGE. This electronic setup is not truly active(JUNK). If you run 18 volts in series to this system it will be regulated down to 9 volts at the sound module. The twin Jazz didn't sound too bad at the bridge though although both pickups are wired in parallel and you are unable to blend them in any way. I replaced them with three EMG SJ(short jazz) active pickups wired it to 18 volts, three volumes One Tone pot. What a massive Improvement. HUGE increase in headroom. Lows are way fatter and juicy.  Mids gained much more spatial clarity, almost piano like. The highs cut through and sing. Major Improvement sounds like a way higher end bass.
Last edited by m38972 at Mar 29, 2017,