Page 1 of 6
Okay, so i'm new to pedal building. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to electronics and know roughly what i'm working with, but this will be my first time actually building a pedal and I could do with some helping hands along the way

So I decided on the Dallas Rangemaster: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_sc_pp.gif

But a slightly modded version. I'm making it with a NPN Transistor and negative ground so I can use it on the same power supply as my other pedals. I'm using a reverse-bias germanium diode in there; it's reverse-biased which prevents any effects temperature have on the germanium transistor, as they're known for this side-effect, even though I made sure to get a heatsink-equipped transistor. I'm using a 1M resistor at the input and output sections to prevent 'popping' with bypass. I'm also using metal film resistors to cut down on noise, and other various high quality components.

It shall be called the Ganja Booster.

C'EST FINIT!

Finished it all off with my new soldering iron today, works fine. One problem though - It's a bit harsh. I dunno why this is - maybe the transistor isn't a particularly nice one - I'm wanting to do a few more mods to it to change the sound a bit whatever is wrong with it. It's just a bit harsh, imagine like a Boss Metal Zone but with a lot less gain and a lot more clarity. Final pics in a bit.

I've added two more caps in parallel to the 0.0047uF input cap - another 0.0047uF and a 0.01uF, bringing the input capacitance upto 0.02uF - this changes it to a mid booster. It's affected the tone - taking alot of the edge off, making it a bit smoother, adding mids and generally making it a lot more pleasant, but it's still got the same characteristic of slightly-crunchy-yet-fizzy tone you hear on those classic Rory recordings when. It's still a bit harsh though. I think the Transistor is a bit harsh, if I ever do another one I'd use a different transistor. Pretty happy with it as is though. It's definitely alot more natural sounding than my Bad Monkey.

Pics start on Page 6.

- Update -
I've been fiddling with it some more - fixing dodgy solder connections and loose wires going to ground that shouldn't be there. It's taken away alot more harshness and made it more musical. I decided that this pedal has alot of potential - and so I'm rebuilding it.

I'm taking away alot of the modern accoutrements - it will be PNP, with a ~85hFe AC128 transistor, but then I'm adding in the pop-prevention resistors and changing the input cap to .022uF to make it a midrange booster. Oh and an ultrabright (15000mcd!!) green LED. Wish me luck! I ordered parts on Wednesday 23rd so I should get them next week.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Aug 23, 2007,
Ooh! Please do built a Rangemaster- they're tons of fun. It's really treble boosty, but not harsh as you'd expect. It's very smooth and tasty. I hope you have fun with the build, the specs look good!

One suggestion, though: use metal film resistors if you can. They're lower noise, and they help a lot with the Rangemaster's natural hum and hiss. Plus, they look cooler!
DON'T use the 600V orange drops- they're far too big to do anything with besides amps.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by cokeisbetter
Ooh! Please do built a Rangemaster- they're tons of fun. It's really treble boosty, but not harsh as you'd expect. It's very smooth and tasty. I hope you have fun with the build, the specs look good!

One suggestion, though: use metal film resistors if you can. They're lower noise, and they help a lot with the Rangemaster's natural hum and hiss. Plus, they look cooler!
Cool, looking back now I can't remember why I chose to do Carbon Film resistors, if there's really no difference then i'll change to metal

You're actually the one who inspired me to do this build haha, I was browsing these forums and you recomended some guy should do one of these. I looked at the schematic and thought "hey, I can do that, it looks real simple," 'cause i'd been looking for a project to do for ages as tubescreamers looked a tad complex for a first-timer.

Plus I wanted to see if I could achieve that Rory Gallagher, raw but crunchy tone

Tubaboy: No, I was looking at the '225P' series Orange drops, the 100V ones.
Which orange drops did you mean?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I wouldn't- you can't tell from the pic, but they're about an inch to two inches long each- bad for PCBs.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Like in this pic, of the 0.0047uf one (Invalid img), i'm guessing? If they're too big, what else would you recommend?

Oh, and I don't think i'm using a PCB, i'm using stripboard for this one...
Mallory makes great ones too.

And with those, the bigger the value, the bigger the cap.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Mallory, you mean as opposed to them all being choc-off big? I understand Marshall uses Mallory caps, so they can't be half-bad then.

I'm guessing a Mallory 0.01 + 0.0047uF cap would be pretty small then. I'm happy to use whatever, if it's reasonable quality

EDIT: These are okay for the electrolytic caps, right? http://www.banzaieffects.com/Sprague-Atom-50uF-50V-pr-17722.html
Quote by MrCarrot
Cool, looking back now I can't remember why I chose to do Carbon Film resistors, if there's really no difference then i'll change to metal

You're actually the one who inspired me to do this build haha, I was browsing these forums and you recomended some guy should do one of these. I looked at the schematic and thought "hey, I can do that, it looks real simple," 'cause i'd been looking for a project to do for ages as tubescreamers looked a tad complex for a first-timer.

Plus I wanted to see if I could achieve that Rory Gallagher, raw but crunchy tone

Tubaboy: No, I was looking at the '225P' series Orange drops, the 100V ones.

Sweet! It is an excellent first build, it's what I did.
http://www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/rangemaster.php

I like these plans for a Rangemaster. Negative ground, and a germanium diode that's reverse biased with the tranny, to prevent any kind of problems when the circuit gets hot/cold. No temperature instability! Also, no bypass popping.

EDIT: 100V is still pretty big. You could just use low voltage poly film caps, I don't think it would sound different.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 8, 2007,
http://buildyourownclone.com/boostinstructions.pdf look at germanium third of the boost stage. u can change the caps to make it a treble boost, a mid range boost, or a full range boost. i thought u might like it. cuz i do. it's on the cesar diaz rangemaster!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Forsaknazrael: Thanks for the schem, I wanna keep it nice and simple as it's my first build so I don't wanna go tinkering with things much. I've changed the specs to the Mallory 150 caps and metal film resistors now though, the metal film resistors will cut down noise but yeah I don't wanna stray to far from the original spec! Maybe as a second build

ECisthebest: Cheers for the ideas, maybe in the future i'll do something like that but for now like I said I just want to keep this build simple and original
i see. that sounds tight. i want to buy the tri-booster kit.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
Aww...the one I posted isn't complicated at all...Plus, C'mon, negative ground! This way you can use it with your other pedals.
ATM I have only one pedal and one PSU, and the PSU i'm using fortunately is a switchable one, so I can select negative and positive power along with the voltage. I barely ever use the Bad Monkey anyway, but it barely drinks batteries at all.

I may do something like that for a second build, I was contemplating doing the positive ground and then that 'rangeblaster' model, maybe selling the first one. But then again I wanna build a fuzz face

Today my friend's been helping me with planning out my 'board, he's gonna scan in it when he gets it finished at home and then I can verify it on here.
^^ You want to do a Fuzz Face, eh? You could do a 2-in-1 like I did. Rangemaster on the left, Fuzz Face on the right. It actually works pretty well.
Okay, I'm thinking now the differences to the circuit using the PNP Negative (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_sc_pn.gif) circuit as opposed to the PNP positive are basically non-existent, just a small amount of relocation. I may change the design...What advantages does the negative ground afford, just the ability to use with other pedals?

EDIT: ^
it's mostly non existent...Mostly just flipping stuff around. The biggest thing is just the transistor, and getting a trannie that's NPN or PNP.

And for advantages...that's pretty much it, except no chance of frying the circuit if it's negative ground, when you plug in a negative ground adaptor? I build all my effects with reverse polarity protection.
What sorta problems? I don't want to rearrange the circuit too much, as we've already spent a while planning out this board. But yeah, please check.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't give in to his weird multiple-effects-inside-one-enclosure obsession....Me and hendriko have been trying to get him help for months.

I'll have you know that my LPB-1 is only one effect in one box.

^ Anyhoo, wiring PNP as NPN. You're reversing the polarity of each leg of the transistor, not running it how it's intended to be run. That can apparently cause all sorts of wierd problems with hum and funky sounds coming out of it. If you want to go negative ground, get an NPN transistor.
Yeah. Will I need to rearrange the circuit for an NPN transistor if I need to change it?
^ Reallly pushing that, eh?

^^ You need to flip the battery leads and reverse all the electrolytic caps if you do an NPN negative ground, shouldn't be that hard.
They don't have the NPN Rangemaster on there? I think I may just stick with the PNP, original version. It's just a first project, I can build more I should be ordering the parts in a few days if i'm lucky. Will I need any extra equipment (IE multimeters) or should I just go for it as is?
A multimeter is really useful for checking voltages and continuity and stuff. If it ends up not working, you'll be able to use one to fix it.

Otherwise, I guess you'll need a soldering iron, some desoldering braid, and... yeah, that should be it.
http://www.banzaieffects.com/Selected-AC128-transistors-pr-16288.html

Fortunately the site does specific selection of the transistors, so if I tell 'em I want hFe 80 they'll give me hFe 80

EDIT: Just to be sure, as i'm not using an LED but am using true bypass, what switching do I need, DPDT or 3PDT?

EDITAGAIN: Actually, I am using an LED, it just didn't show on my schematic. How it is wired is shown on here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_lo_pp.gif

So 3PDT or DPDT?
Last edited by MrCarrot at Jul 9, 2007,
Ya they do. I am also building one but with some mods. I am ordering my parts from smallbear.
Quote by forsaknazrael
3PDT, if you want true bypass.

BTW, that site is aweosme if they match it for you.

EDIT: Do they do international shipping???
Rightio!

Actually, I decided to change the project. I'm now doing the fuzzcentral rangeblaster schem.

Last edited by MrCarrot at Jul 10, 2007,
^ Alrighty then. So, that's got the reverse-bias thing, polarity protection, and the NPN transistor, yeah? Sweet. I might add reverse-polarity to mine.