Well Im just starting out on acoustic and I just got a job so I'm savign for my first guitar. I dont want crap so im going to save all summer with ym job and hopefully get a nice guitar. Since Its my first I dont want to pay more than 650$ so what can I get for under 650$ thats great for beginners and will let me learn and play on it for a while?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
For that kind of money you can get alot. I would say, just get a western guitar that you find good looking and plays good. For about 400$ there are quite some good guitars.
I would set the bar lower. Since it's your first guitar, you'll wanna go cheap IMO because A) In case you dont like it that much, you wont be out a ton of money, and B) When you're first starting out, your equipment isn't gonna make a huge difference in your sound. I'm not saying get plywood or somthing dirt cheap like that, but keep it in the $120 - $190 range. Theres a lot of quality in that price range, and you can use the left over cash to get some extras (guitar bag, strap, picks (you'll lose a lot of those, buy more then a few), spare packs of strings (I recommend A'ddagio), tuner, string winder, etc).

IMO you'd be better off going cheap, getting your basic stuff, and getting about 6 months to a year of playing under your belt. Then, not only will you better appriciate the tones you get out of a higher quality instrument, but you'll also know what you want in a guitar and you'll be better able to make a decision you'll be happy with.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 8, 2007,
Hell no Garou! The 190 range won't get you a decent plywood guitar let alone a solid top. Go for a 300$ dolar range and check out the sticky, some very nice beginner guitars there.
LoL. I spent $80 on my first guitar about 8 months ago and it's served me very well. I also saw some very nice acoustics in shop for anywhere between $120 - $200. All I'm saying is what's the good in having a high quality guitar when all you can produce are low quality sounds. Plus you need to be able to understand what kind of action/feel you want, what kinda tone, etc etc. If you start out on a $300 guitar, then find out a year later that it sounds nothing like you want and you dont like the feel/action, you're screwed. That's always been my take on it anyway. lol. Not to mention the afformentioned extras you need to buy when you first start
Action can be fixed with sand paper and the right information. This is my take on it. To split the difference Keep it at 290$ with the Yamaha in the stickie. Don't tell me that's a bad beginner guitar because I think it's the perfect one. It's all round and has very nice playability. Though I'm more of a classical guitarist and go by what the bulk of people that answer these threads seem to say.
I'll concede that one. Yamaha makes some fine, reasonably priced starter guitars. Just make sure you like the feel of it, cause you'll be spending a *lot* of time with her
For $650 you might be able to land a decent used higher end guitar. Buuuuut my suggestion would be to take $300, buy a Yamaha FG730s and spend the other $350 on a good case, tuner, picks, strap, capo.. beginner's book or even guitar lessons.
Alright I made up my mind, Ill get the 730s and then spend about 100$ on accessories and stuff. Then with the rest buy a case for it. Sound good?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Get a hard case, not a gig bag. This way you'll never have to upgrade the case. Also try getting one that you can check on a plane. A good case is very important so don't cheap out.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
Get a hard case, not a gig bag. This way you'll never have to upgrade the case. Also try getting one that you can check on a plane. A good case is very important so don't cheap out.

+1