I'm scared to be bashed, for the fact that I am pretty much a stereotype..slightly fat, thick plastic frame glasses, beard..and I pretty much failed at the guitar, mainly for lack of practice

I know I know "if you sucked at guitar what tells you you'll be good with this?", I'm about to enter college, I'll be able to manage time better than in high school, that means more practice time

I want to start over with a new insturment, and I think this is perfect; I could start easily, and then master it slowly

so should i do this? and what should i get?
If you want to play bass be sure it's because you want t play bass and not because its a seemingly "easy" option. Good beginner basses are made by Ibanez, Squier, Peavey and Yamaha. At the start you only need a small practice amp and as you become more serious you might want to buy better and louder gear.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
if you want to buy a bass, then buy it

its not like you cant play both
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
well, I got the guitar as a gift from my dad, I had an acoustic since a long time ago, but I really didn't used much, my dad thought that an electric guitar would make me want to try it more..and so I did

I practiced more than wath I did with acoustic, but for some reason (lack of practice, coordination, or maybe will) I never got good at all-I've had the guitar for about 7 months now
^ If you're 100% sure that its not the instrument for you, then go to a shop, check out a few basses, and see if you like it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Jimbou
I'm scared to be bashed, for the fact that I am pretty much a stereotype..slightly fat, thick plastic frame glasses, beard..and I pretty much failed at the guitar, mainly for lack of practice

That's the stereotype for bassists?!
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Well no surprise you never got good! To me it seems like you never actually wanted to play the guitar in the first place. You said it yourself, you started to seriously practice the instrument just because your dad wanted you to and bought you an electric. You never got good because of the lack of motivation.

Now let me ask you: why do you want to play the bass? Express yourself musically? Prove yourself as a bassist? To be in a band & look cool? If you seriously want to play the instrument then go right ahead, but if you're just looking to do something with your free time then don't bother.

I don't want to sound like a dick or anything but the bass community doesn't need another root note pounding stereotype on the field. Just think really hard before making the decision.
lendorax is absolutely right...

it requires effort and it requires you to invest yourself into learning and playing the instrument...
Yeah I really want to. I guess I'll have to stand some critics of "so~..you sucked at guitar didn't you?", because I pretty much did. But if I get a bass, I promise to the UG community of bass players that I'll try my best on not being a root-note-pounding stereotype, and practice hard to be--at least--a decent bass player

all said what's the diferences between 4 and 5 string basses? I kinda like more how 4-string ones look, but is there something notably better on 5-string basses?
so youre one of those people like:

i suck at guitar, so im gonna pick up a bass, cose any retarted asshole can play one!

is that the case?
No..

I want to play bass because I like how it sounds and its role in most songs..

I'm not calling anyone retarded..or will tolerate someone calling me that
Jimbou, if you found it offensive, use the report post button which is the little ! mark in a blue box under his location in the left-hand column.

Definatly look into Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez. Feel is the most important thing in a beginner bass so get yourself down to the shop and try all the low end basses you can find and go with whatever feels the best.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Read this and this. These should give you a basic idea on what to look for in a bass. Then start going to your local music stores and check out different basses to see which one fits you the best.

Get a cheap bass and a small combo amp first. Look into Ibanez, great feel and tone. I personally like the narrow neck. But as I said before, don't get a bass because someone recommends it. Try it out before. It's not only how it sounds but also how it feels.

Good luck!
the simple answer is who gives a **** of what other people think? if you wanna play bass go out and buy one. you like blink 182 and since im a pretty big fan and started because of them, i'd get a squier precision bass if you don't wanna spend that much money or if you have more cash to spend, get a fender precision bass. mark hoppus, the bassist, uses precision pick ups so anything with split p's should sound fairly good for a pop punk kinda sound. you could call me a stereotypical bass player. im nerdy, should wear specs, not skinny, bit of an idiot but i make a joke out of it all and just have fun playing. the most important thing is to enjoy playing bass and if you do, you'll get a lot better and progress as a mucisian.
Quote by Jimbou
Yeah I really want to. I guess I'll have to stand some critics of "so~..you sucked at guitar didn't you?", because I pretty much did. But if I get a bass, I promise to the UG community of bass players that I'll try my best on not being a root-note-pounding stereotype, and practice hard to be--at least--a decent bass player

all said what's the diferences between 4 and 5 string basses? I kinda like more how 4-string ones look, but is there something notably better on 5-string basses?

An extra string?

Sorry

Anyway, the 5 stringers will be quite useless for the kind of music you plan on playing (Judging completly from your avatar, I might be way off if you like other kinds of music).

Ben Hamelech
Hi, kinda late here, I had to leave on a rush for some personal reasons..

So, basically what I've red so far helped me a lot. I like mostly rock/pop/punk music. I listen--and love--blink 182 (and their relatives +44 and AvA..I like +44 better), and whatever is related to the genre. But I also enjoy something like atreyu, arch enemy, wolfmother, metallica, linkin park, muse..etc. Basically it's about if it makes my music sense ring, I'll add it to my playlist.

I like more 4-string basses..I think they look pretty much cooler than 5-strings basses, IMO..But you tell me what's the best to begin with

Oh..my budget..yeah ¬¬. Mmmhh..about that, it's pretty much the cheapiest possible. I cannot afford too much these days. I have only like $50 on my "piggybank", I hope my dad can complete the rest as a birthday gift (that if I get my freakin scholarship, if not, maybe I'll use a pre-pre.christmas present -,- ). So anything cheap will do. Still I don't wanna go with a low quality starter set, so maybe I'll look for a Squire one..I've seen they're about 300 on guitarcenter webpage..I'll check my nearest store though

I don't want a cheap and crappy beginning set (I wont be inspired to play with a Xbrand bass -__- ...kinda picky with those things ¬,¬")
Quote by Jimbou
Hi, kinda late here, I had to leave on a rush for some personal reasons..

So, basically what I've red so far helped me a lot. I like mostly rock/pop/punk music. I listen--and love--blink 182 (and their relatives +44 and AvA..I like +44 better), and whatever is related to the genre. But I also enjoy something like atreyu, arch enemy, wolfmother, metallica, linkin park, muse..etc. Basically it's about if it makes my music sense ring, I'll add it to my playlist.

I like more 4-string basses..I think they look pretty much cooler than 5-strings basses, IMO..But you tell me what's the best to begin with

Oh..my budget..yeah ¬¬. Mmmhh..about that, it's pretty much the cheapiest possible. I cannot afford too much these days. I have only like $50 on my "piggybank", I hope my dad can complete the rest as a birthday gift (that if I get my freakin scholarship, if not, maybe I'll use a pre-pre.christmas present -,- ). So anything cheap will do. Still I don't wanna go with a low quality starter set, so maybe I'll look for a Squire one..I've seen they're about 300 on guitarcenter webpage..I'll check my nearest store though

I don't want a cheap and crappy beginning set (I wont be inspired to play with a Xbrand bass -__- ...kinda picky with those things ¬,¬")

well if your not going to be inspired just by wanting to play. then dont bother.
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I want to play ¬¬ ..it's just some attitude I have..I usually don't like crappy or generic stuff

If I get a bass, I want to get a good one..not just any sh*ty excuse of a bass..but if all I can afford is a sh*ty bass excuse, I'll stick with it..because it would be what I can afford then..later on, I could get money and buy something better

I just had bad experiences with Xbrands...a keyboard I had suddenly stopped playing about half of the keys..and I saw how a friend's Xbrand guitar produced the crappiest of sounds I've heard on a guitar (luckily for everyone at hearing range, he got something better when he got the chance to)..

Don't blame me for wanting good stuff, and not settling with the first thing I see
The Squier P-bass package is probably a ****ty excuse for a bass, but it'll get you going, and it won't be a huge loss if you lose interest in playing..
But I do suggest getting a package. If you don't like the Squier, there's Epiphone, Dean, Ibanez and other brands that make packs.
eh..... i think bass takes a lot of inspiration to be motivated and have creativity to create your own style of playing.. inspiration as in watching one of your fav bands play live (in a video.. or in person) then noticing the bass stand out. that's what did it for me. a friend showed me a video of flea, then larry graham. i was like :O thinking I WANNA BE ABLE TO DO THAT. and i went out and bought bass about 6 months ago and have been playing atleast 2-3 hours a day ever since.. and i'm not anywhere near bored of it. i always find new techniques and styles to try and play with. i'm in a band and i've changed the sound of the band (in a good way) since i joined, due to my influences.
Quote by Jimbou
I am pretty much a stereotype..slightly fat, thick plastic frame glasses, beard..and I pretty much failed at the guitar, mainly for lack of practice

I don't know who's stereotyping but you. I for one am incredibly sexy.
About the 7 months thing, yeah, I'm pretty busy most of the time, and I was also trying to get better..no results apparently. I tried to improve since my dad bought the guitar to me, but I couldn't do it. And actually my sister is planning a garage sale, so I plan to sell my guitar there (hopefully), and maybe my acoustic too, just for the money (and also, it's pretty damaged from the inside because of some stupid accident ¬¬" ..but..there's no need for anyone to know that, right?)

If I get enough, I'll be able to get a decent bass value pack

And also, what I like about the bass is how the solos sound compared to guitar solos. I like bass solos (the few I've heard, at least) because of that smooth sound they have, compared to that sharper and sometimes frantic feeling to guitar solos. My creativity is what I like most of myself, actually. I'm quite sure that once I get the hang of the bass, I'll be able to come up with some styles or sounds.

And for the sterotype thing, it is that mostly a bass player is seen like that..or at least, different than the rest of the band (dressing or hair style). I'm not saying everybody is like that, I'm talking about how most people (ignorant or close-minded people, usually) see bass players. Well, that's my guess, correct me if I'm wrong
Quote by smb
I don't know who's stereotyping but you. I for one am incredibly sexy.

True story .

Anyway, 50$ wont get you much, if I were you I would just save up the the Squier starter pack.

Ben Hamelech
dude, do what you want to do. I play guitar and have been for 3 years but when I pick up a bass it's so fun and I can imagine it will be even better palying with a band. Cause I see you have a blink avatar, mark hoppus's songs are really easy one note chords. except carousel and a few others. but bass is so fun and it's easy. If you have money get a used mark hoppus bass or jazz bass, I find they sound really good
Sadly enough, I had the same idea that bassists were stereotyped like that, of course whenever I got into it I realized that it's not so. But yeah as for all of these guys giving you hell about it, don't listen to them. If you are serious about giving bass a shot, then do it. Since you're going into college you should have time to practice, but when you practice don't just sit there and play the same scale pattern over and over, find something that will challenge you and drill it until you've got it down
Quote by Jimbou
I just had bad experiences with Xbrands...a keyboard I had suddenly stopped playing about half of the keys..and I saw how a friend's Xbrand guitar produced the crappiest of sounds I've heard on a guitar (luckily for everyone at hearing range, he got something better when he got the chance to)..

Is Xbrand an actual brand, or just a generic term you use to describe crappy starter instrument companies (Austin, the Walmart FirstActs, etc.)? If you're getting something like that, then yeah, it's gonna suck. That's kinda the point of a starter bass-you learn to sound good on a crappy instrument so that you sound great when you move to a better instrument.

With that said, Squier and Ibanez make good starter basses. Ibanez is an actual brand, not a cheap clone company like Austin, and Squier is owned by Fender.

If you don't mind ordering online, you can also order an SX bass from www.rondomusic.net and find an amp and stuff elsewhere (there's one bass starter pack on there). Since they're cheap, they're also easy to upgrade.
Quote by Jimbou
About the 7 months thing, yeah, I'm pretty busy most of the time, and I was also trying to get better..no results apparently. I tried to improve since my dad bought the guitar to me, but I couldn't do it. And actually my sister is planning a garage sale, so I plan to sell my guitar there (hopefully), and maybe my acoustic too, just for the money (and also, it's pretty damaged from the inside because of some stupid accident ¬¬" ..but..there's no need for anyone to know that, right?)

If I get enough, I'll be able to get a decent bass value pack

And also, what I like about the bass is how the solos sound compared to guitar solos. I like bass solos (the few I've heard, at least) because of that smooth sound they have, compared to that sharper and sometimes frantic feeling to guitar solos. My creativity is what I like most of myself, actually. I'm quite sure that once I get the hang of the bass, I'll be able to come up with some styles or sounds.

And for the sterotype thing, it is that mostly a bass player is seen like that..or at least, different than the rest of the band (dressing or hair style). I'm not saying everybody is like that, I'm talking about how most people (ignorant or close-minded people, usually) see bass players. Well, that's my guess, correct me if I'm wrong

I've gotten the impression that the bassist is usually the cool one from the group . But as for solos, yeah it's a bit different than guitar solos. Guitarists tend to get away with playing the pentatonic scale over and over again with high distortion. There's nothing wrong in using effects though, to spice up your playing.

I like to take advantage of the low end that the guitar solos miss. Like when playing a melodic complicated part really high to build up tension and then go back to the booming E string. Makes a nice little effect.
Hahaha, yeah, Xbrand is a generic term. I've never thought of that "get good on a crappy instrument to sound awesome on a high quality one", really, hadn't thought of it.

And I know Ibanez is a really good brand, and that Squier is owned by Fender (heheh, owned), I kinda knew that when looking for a starter set, I saw a Squier set, with a fender amp.

I don't mind buying online.....my dad does mind ¬¬#. Hopefully, with the garage sale, I'll be able to sell some things and get me enough money to get something decent. The cheapiest I'v found a good starter set is around $299 .so it's a hard way to go compared to my $5 I have on my wallet. If I get lucky, I can get a pre-pre-christmas present.
go to somewhere with a big variety and a few amps they'll let you plug into (guitar center's a good place) then play a few basses. ask what makes each bass different, and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. maybe try out a few expensive basses, figure out what makes them expensive. see if there are any cheap basses that have cool stuff like the big ones. you may be pleasantly surprised.

don't forget to grab an amp. the most uninspiring thing is being unable to hear what you're playing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ya if you're gonna get a starter set i'd suggest the ibanez set because they are known for relatively good quality on their cheaper stuff but also if you can go to a guitar shop or a pawn shop look at the used stuff.... sometimes you can get a great deal like that ... just make sure it works and isn't beat up too bad....like it looks like it's been dropped down a few flights of stairs or something.

And that prechristmas thing might go over.... I got my first bass for christmas.....In mid-November.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Pssh, that stereotype fits the guitarest where I come from. (The bassist here are cooler than the guitarest, for obvious reasons....)

I'd say get the Squier starter kit. But that's a little bias, but either them or Ibanez, and maybe Hartke, but I'm leaning towards the first two.
Hey, I just went to a friend's dad music store (that I kinda forgot about -,-). And I saw an Ibanez an it's cheapier little brother (according to what he told me), Cort. If I recall, it was at $170 (a big difference to the Ibanez's $370). The con to that is that I would have to buy the amp sepparatly..and it will be other $150 (I think that price is kinda exagerated to a practice amp ¬¬..but..I don't know too much)

The pro of that is that since it is a friend's dad, he might give me a discount. Maybe drop the $320 of the bass and the amp to $300. I assume Cort should be decent since it is Ibanez lil' bro..but I want your opinion, since I don't know too much about brands quality, is Cort a good brand?

EDIT: I just remembered asking something. The Cort I saw was an--I think--a J-bass.. what's the difference between the J-bass and P-bass? I assume their sound, but, how is it different?
Last edited by Jimbou at Jul 9, 2007,
Dude, make sure you want to play first by buying something simple. My parents bought me a used Ibanez bass and amp 3 and a half years ago for $200 all together. After a year I had already realized how much I loved the instrument, and had upgraded to a rockbass and a peavey amp(which has since been upgraded to an ampeg). So you wont spend too long with the crappy-brand bass if its what you really want to do. And just in case it doesnt catch on, you didnt waste to much money.

And dont let anyone stereotype you. Your not the typical bass player...your a dude who looks like you do, and happens to play bass...The only stereotypes I ever pay attention to are ones that make guitar players look like losers, haha. Welcome to right side of stringed instruments!
Yeah, I agree with that, I want to get the cheapiest I can get, right now I really don't care about the brand, since now I realized that my $50 I had saved were used by my sister..and I don't think she'll give it back to me in quite a while ¬¬..so whatever I can afford by extending my pre-birthday/christmas gift -,-" ..

I just want to know if $170 is a good prize for a Cort, and if the Cort is a good bass?..I think the prize for good bass/amp starter combos are between $200-300 ..so I should think about this if I have no chance to check at a guitar center (since there is none close to where I live..and the store I went is here..mmhh, and I could count with my friend's dad to help me with straps, picks, strings and whatsoever, now that I think of it..)

And still..emmhh..the difference in sound between the j-bass and the p-bass?

Hehehhee.."Welcome to the right side of stringed instruments!", I lol'd at that

EDIT: I'll take a chance to ask..what's the best price to sell a used classic acoustic guitar, no damage; and an electric guitar, no serious damage (just a weird scratch that I have NO idea how it got there, but..it's in the back, so it doesn't mather), both with gig bags (the classic guitar one is padded and really good; the elctric guitar one is a basic starter set). And I guess I'll sell the amp when I repair it..or should I sell it really cheap saying it's damaged but that can be repaired?..what do you think?

....<.<

...>.>

..I need money -__-"

EDIT2: Holy..I write a little bit too much >.<
Last edited by Jimbou at Jul 9, 2007,
you'll probs get $50 to $75 for all of that. i know i wouldn't pay anymore for that stuff than that. just get a job. you say your going to college so you're old enough, get a weekend job.