Hey folks,

I'm planning on getting a 5-string soon but I have no idea what to go for. I've been playing an old, battered, white Marlin Sidewinder 4-string for 5 years now (i wouldn't change it for the world, i love it) but i've never had a five string so I don't really know what to go for. I don't want to break the bank but at the same time I don't want something that's going to cost $75 but won't stay in tune and will sound crap. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

boycew30
Well what genres are you interested in playing would be handy?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Well what genres are you interested in playing would be handy?

my bad, i mainly play heavy stuff but have held off from the Metallica & Trivium because of my lack of a 5-string. that's the kind of stuff i'd be playing.

thanks for the ideas as well DR0
I think you should definatly look into the 5 string ibanez, I never see ibanez around by me so i dont know the models but from what i've heard it would suit your style extremely well.

And from word of mouth they seem much better than any of the basses Deso listed.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Ibanez anything (I hate Ibanez but understand they are very popular for metal) or Schecter Stiletto.
yeah, i was looking at Ibanez and Mike D'Antonio uses them so they must be good!

i don't suppose any of you know anything about the Schechter Damien-5? it's one of the most beautiful basses i've ever seen and it's not completely out of my price range either.
and i hate most ibanez ahah.......except the blue ATK that smb owns... i love that one........the srx700's are good as well......but i think the ones i listed are way better.... just personal opinion, but i dont see what most people see in ibanez basses really (PLEASE DONT KILL MEEE)....
Yamaha RBX375

personally i dont think its a good bass.....
the peavey millenium..... oh yeah.... thats a sweet bass! (the one with humbuckers, i dont really like the ones with jazz pickups as much, but they have a great punch though....

bottom line..... you should go to a store near you and try them out to see what fits you best....
Quote by DesolationRow0
bottom line..... you should go to a store near you and try them out to see what fits you best....

Yeah, i'm gonna try and get down to the store some time next weekend. a buddy of mine just got a new electro-acoustic from this place i've never been before but apparently it just had walls and walls of guitars and he said he'd take me there too. i'll keep an eye out for anything made by Ibanez and Schechter and will try a Fender Jazz Bass too. thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!
the the spectors and warwick rocksbasses to.... they have great growls to them, they'd definitly fit your music style...
Cool, cool. Also what about the Ibanez GSR205? Looks like a beaut and, well hey, it's an Ibanez.
i dont like ibanez.... all the ones i mentioned are basses are far superior to that particular ibanez, although more expensive..........
but i mean, if you try an ibanez and it sounds good and feels good, dont listen to me... go for whatever sounds and feels best to you... let the instrument pick you, not the other way around!!
Quote by DesolationRow0
the peavey millenium..... oh yeah.... thats a sweet bass! (the one with humbuckers, i dont really like the ones with jazz pickups as much, but they have a great punch though....

I hate those peaveys, they weigh far too much for a 5 string. like its made out of concrete! plus the lack of centre détentes in the pots always annoyed me
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.

I hate those peaveys, they weigh far too much for a 5 string. like its made out of concrete! plus the lack of centre détentes in the pots always annoyed me

ahah, yeah, theyre heavy, but i think they sound great, with the exception of having a B string that's a little muddy.... theyre not too heavy for me, and im not strong at all.... there arent many basses i wouldnt buy because theyre too heavy, if any.... i just flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy when im playing so i dont even notice... i do notice a couple of hours later when my shoulders are killing me, though, but worth it =)
Quote by DesolationRow0
but i mean, if you try an ibanez and it sounds good and feels good, dont listen to me... go for whatever sounds and feels best to you... let the instrument pick you, not the other way around!!

I've just arranged to go down to this huge shop in Birmingham with a guitar playing friend of mine and they've got most of the basses mentioned here in stock (including the GSR205) so I'll give them all a go and see. Thanks again.
ADD ONE MORE STRING to that 5 string bass and there u have it a 6 strings of beuty or a real guitar yes bassists a bass is the lazy option go out and buy a real guitar
Quote by THE PIGMAN
ADD ONE MORE STRING to that 5 string bass and there u have it a 6 strings of beuty or a real guitar yes bassists a bass is the lazy option go out and buy a real guitar

A bass is a lazy option if you choose it because you find guitar too much effort. I however, along with a lot of the other bass players on here, also play guitar too.

Plus, if there were no bass players out there cuz everyone played guitar then music would sound shit because it would have no backbone. Guitar riffs are all well and good but they don't exactly have much muscle on their own. Look at the White Stripes, they don't have a bass player and their music is bollocks. It sounds like they're playing is a garbage can. Playing bass may not seem as glorious as leaping into frenzied guitar solos but it's an important job nonetheless.
Last edited by boycew30 at Jul 9, 2007,
I bought the bass at the link below last week, and it's one badass bass.

http://www.rondomusic.net/product947.html

It looks good, feels good, and has bowel-clearing low end power. This is one seriously powerful sounding bass. It just seems to light up under my fingers. The only thing that really miffed me about it is that the setup was totally ****ed when I got it. Not really a big deal, since I know how to set up instruments. But out of the box, the setup was pretty bad. But for the cheap price, I think it's more than worth it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^ ^ ^
Niiiiice, that is a real beauty. Trouble is I know nowt when it comes to setting up instruments. Luckily though I've got a buddy who could dismantle and re-assemble a guitar blindfolded so I'm sure he could have a good go. It's a gorgeous looking thing though (especially in blue!).
personally i would go ibanez... maybe because thats cause i have an ibanez sr505 which is awesome