Ok, first off I have a Squier Standard Strat and a Fender G-DEC for an amp.

I'm getting annoyed with the hum that comes with the single coils, and I was going to shield my guitar but I have no idea how to. So does anybody know a good site with a tutorial on how to do it?

I also don't like how it "hisses" when I turn the volume pot, so I was going to replace all the basic electric hardware when I shield it. I found a set and was wondering if it was any good: http://guitarelectronics.com/product/PK1CT I've heard that audio taper pots weren't the best for volume knobs, so I'm questioning whether I should get the set or not, any help there would be appreciated.

Later in the year (I have to save up some money for it) I plan on upgrading my pickups. I was planning on getting some Seymour Duncan SSL-2s for the neck and middle pickups, and a SSL-5 for the bridge. Anybody know if this would be a good choice for better cleans, but also good for harder rock?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Shielding a Strat

Audio taper pots are what's generally used for volume (sometimes tone too, it's nowhere near as important as volume being log/audio taper) - it's got nothing to do with the quality. Not being too familiar with US prices, I'd be saying that's a tad on the expensive side for what you're getting.
As for the pickups, I'm not too knowledgeable on the SD single coils. Wait till forzaknazrael pops by; he knows a lot more about SD's than I do.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Jul 8, 2007,
Thanks, anybody know about the pickups?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
My humble suggestion is spending about $250 and getting a set of custom handwound pickups. I'm not a fan of over-the-counter stuff from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Not so long as he's playing through that G-DEC. I recommend handwound ones as well. CorduroyEW, a user on here, winds very nice pickups...I bought my single coils from him. They're awesome.

The SSL-5 Is a nice high output single, and works very well for hard rock. SSL-2's are nice, too. That'll be fine for what you want.

However, instead of shelling out money for new pickups...I recommend just saving up the cash you would spend on pickups and aiming for a nice little tube amp. Perhaps look at the Crato Palomino V16. The amp you're playing through now isn't going to show that much of a tonal improvement with new pickups.