In a few hours i will be buying a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
I've had it for a day, but haven't had time to play around with it.

The clean channel started distorting when the volume was on 5 with my Fender MIM strat, so will it be loud enough for smaller gigs at around 4-5? (inside; 40-50 people)

A friend who stopped playing gave me a Boss Dyna Drive, and it sounded ok with the hot rod, but still to bright. Would something like an English Muff give it more bass. Or would it be smarter to buy a EQ pedal for the Boss. ( for sounds such as AC/DC )

Kind of a silly question. The fender has 2 inputs. If i use one with the guitar, can the other be used as an auxiliary in for a CD or perhaps an input for a microphone. Or is that only possible with solid state amps. ( my previous amp was a Cube 30).

Also could you suggest a fairly good EQ pedal. I doubt i could find a MXR 10-band EQ in my local music store, but how is the Boss EQ-7?

thanks
its very common that people over look the fact that there is a master knob as well and a volume knob for the clean channel. if you didnt miss it did you have the master low and the volume high cause that could be the cause of distortion
You are completely right. I thought the master volume was for the Drive channel. Thanks.

But what about the 2 inputs. Can i run a microphone through the second input while playing guitar? (There wouldn't be a mixer in-between the microphone and the amp.)
Quote by ateitup
its very common that people over look the fact that there is a master knob as well and a volume knob for the clean channel. if you didnt miss it did you have the master low and the volume high cause that could be the cause of distortion
The master volume is just a volume control for the OD channels. It doesn't really act as a master volume.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by ateitup
well you could but it wouldnt be a good idea.

How come? Will it damage the amp, or will it just sound bad?
It wasn't meant for two inputs simultaneously, one is for low gain, and one is for high gain. While the original bassman could do that, I don't think the hotrod was meant for that.

The way the hotrod's inputs would work with two instuments (guitar, mic whatever) is that it would equal the resistance with each input.

Now, not only will you lose some gain/volume, you will get a volume mismatch with the OD in use.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 8, 2007,
jea i guess that makes sence. But putting aside the volume loss and everything else.
Will the simultaneous use of Input 1 and Input 2 damage the amp in any way?
probably not, but guitar speakers are only capable of producing frequencies up to 5khz usually. PA speakers go up to 20khz. Big difference, right?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i play my hrd live and when if i turn it to 3 its too loud.
so yeah, its plenty loud for any size gig.
Quote by MuffinMan
The master volume is just a volume control for the OD channels. It doesn't really act as a master volume.

This guy is correct.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C