Alright...I want to write a catchy song like Nirvana's Polly or Incubus's Drive that has that simply repeation of only a few chords but I really don't know any theory. Can someone tell me what I need to learn to write a simply song like Polly or Drive?
My Gear:
ESP LTD F-50 Black Cherry Black Hardware
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to Join.
just find some chords that flow well. This will be your verse. Then find another group of chords that flow even better and sound really catchy to YOU. This will be your chorus. combine the two as you see fit, and ta-da! you have a song. btw, Polly is a great song, just had to add that. best of luck.
Wow thanks.
My Gear:
ESP LTD F-50 Black Cherry Black Hardware
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to Join.
Verse

I IV V

Chorus

V IV

So, in C major:

C F G

G F

Ta-Da, your basic rock song.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Can someone please tell septura and me how you create chord progressions in a specific key? or a link to where you can learn? I think this would be very helpful. Thanks
In key... Well don't think of staying in key as synonymous to playing only 7 notes for the whole song. That is the technical definition, but tons of songwriters step out of key when necessary because it just sounds better. There's a lot to learn, but I guess I'll answer your question. There are 7 4-note chords in the major scale:

Imaj7
IIm7
IIIm7
IVmaj7
V7
VIm7
VIIm7b5

And if you know anything about modes, the minor scale is the same but starting at VI. So by selecting only chords that use notes from the given major scale, you are staying 'in key.'
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums