Now I'm gonna get a new amp before I may get this guitar, but....

My local store just got a very slightly used BFG and they are selling it for around $800. I played it acoutically a bit and the action was nice and played fine and didnt have any buzz, which all my guitars seem to have, and I liked the look of it. Now I just have a few questions.
If I put clear coat on it, which I'm not, I'm just curious, will it looked like a normal Les Paul?
Also, can I replace the wooden knobs, I don't really like them.
Is it worth it? I don't really care about the name Gibson, I just want a good guitar.
Can it do metal? Its got burstbucker in the bridge doesn't it?
Thanks.
Quote by rockr09
Now I'm gonna get a new amp before I may get this guitar, but....

My local store just got a very slightly used BFG and they are selling it for around $800. I played it acoutically a bit and the action was nice and played fine and didnt have any buzz, which all my guitars seem to have, and I liked the look of it. Now I just have a few questions.
If I put clear coat on it, which I'm not, I'm just curious, will it looked like a normal Les Paul?
Also, can I replace the wooden knobs, I don't really like them.
Is it worth it? I don't really care about the name Gibson, I just want a good guitar.
Can it do metal? Its got burstbucker in the bridge doesn't it?
Thanks.

It would have to be properly sanded down before being ready for a paint job. Yes, you can replace the wooden knobs. If you like it, I'd say its worth it. Its pretty beastly as far as sound goes.
Be cool.
Cool, like I said, I don't plan on clear coating it, I just was curious. It already looks awesome, its red.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--GIBLPBG

If that is it, it only retails for $969 with a case, and it was originally cheaper. People seem to hate everything about this guitar, although most of it is sparked by the looks. I for one think they are one of the coolest looking guitars Gibson has made, and would love to be able to try one out.
Quote by munit
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--GIBLPBG

If that is it, it only retails for $969 with a case, and it was originally cheaper. People seem to hate everything about this guitar, although most of it is sparked by the looks. I for one think they are one of the coolest looking guitars Gibson has made, and would love to be able to try one out.

I feel the same way. I think it looks badass. I just hope the prices keep dropping, so I could pick one up for real cheap.
I don't like the look. But generally speaking, cosmetic appearance is pretty low on my list. I'll play pretty much any guitar of any brand as long as it sounds good and plays well.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Dr. No
I feel the same way. I think it looks badass. I just hope the prices keep dropping, so I could pick one up for real cheap.

I believe if it keeps selling as they are they will drop greatly in price...but eventually possibly end up discontinued, which would be good because we could pick one up dirt cheap and in 20 years it might be worth a good amount. Either way I do want to buy one eventually, but for $800 I might pass it up....

Plus this guitar features some high quality stuff, such as Grover Tuners, Tune-o-Matic bridge, and a kill switch which to me just seems cool...
The P-90 and Burstbucker combo would be a good alternative to the insane sounds that come out of my EMG's...therefore I could do more blusey and clean sounds.
Last edited by munit at Jul 8, 2007,
I like Les Paul's without pickup rings, or just guitars without pickup rings in general.
I like the clear cavity covers on the back too. I want to put a L.E.D. in there if I get it.
I'll probably put on a truss rod cover though.
Quote by rockr09
I like Les Paul's without pickup rings, or just guitars without pickup rings in general.
I like the clear cavity covers on the back too. I want to put a L.E.D. in there if I get it.
I'll probably put on a truss rod cover though.

i was thinking the same thing, it has the screws for a truss rod cover, but no screws for a pickguard
Quote by munit
I believe if it keeps selling as they are they will drop greatly in price...but eventually possibly end up discontinued, which would be good because we could pick one up dirt cheap and in 20 years it might be worth a good amount. Either way I do want to buy one eventually, but for $800 I might pass it up....

There will probably be a clearance sale on Musicians Friend with them for real cheap.

I think we're the only two people on this whole forum who likes that guitar.
If I have unlimited funds, I'd probably buy one just to have such an oddball instrument.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

I don't like the appearance. I don't like the top. I don't like the look of the missing pickup ring for the humbucker. I think those wooden knobs are butt-ugly. But I'd buy one if money wasn't an object, just to have such a misfit instrument.

Quote by Dr. No
There will probably be a clearance sale on Musicians Friend with them for real cheap.

I think we're the only two people on this whole forum who likes that guitar.

I think you're right (though I haven't played one yet)
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
The only thing I don't like about the looks are the knobs and not having a truss rod, which all are under $10 dollars to replace
I loved the one I played. Will probably end up buying one someday soon.

The burstbucker should kick a fair bit of ass for metal and the p-90 does really nice thick bluesy sounds.

I agree the knobs are tacky and I think the killswitch/pickup selector should be swapped back to their proper places. Apart from that I love it.

The black ones are uber-sexy.