I'm thinking about building a boost (and possibly some other effects in the future) and I have a couple questions about the components:
1. For resistors, they should be 1/4 and 5%, right?
2. What composition should they be?
3. What type of capacitors are the best to use?
4.And what voltage rating should they be?
5. And finally, I think I'm going to make an LPB-1 or similar boost, are there any others i should look at?

Thanks a lot.
The resistors can be anywhere from 1/8 watt up, the only difference is size. If it's too small, they'll fry, but 1/4 like you said will be fine. As for tolerance, 5% is OK. I use 1% metal film resistors, there's less noise and the actual values are closer to the advertised values. As for caps, poly film is OK for the non-electrolytic ones. Electrolytics should be... electrolytics. Anything above 16V is OK for voltage- just like the wattage of the resistors, the biggest difference other than power handling is size. Higher voltage, bigger cap. As for the boost, hmm. LPB-1s are pretty simple, so that's a good starter project. Maybe look at a Rangemaster, too. It's a germanium treble boost circuit, excellent for a first project, and it sounds great.
1. Resistors can be either 1/4 or 1/8th watt, it's not too important as there's not a lot of current running through them. I'd be using 1% resistors, they aren't very expensive at all these days.
2. I use all metal film resistors where possible. I have had to use carbon film in the past for a few components, the only thing is they have a higher tolerance (5% instead of 1%)
3. It all comes down to preference. Where possible, use MKT capacitors - they are a good compromise between price and tone. A lot of people stick away from ceramic caps for the smaller values, you can use silvered mica instead (expensive though). For large capacitances, just your standard electrolytic caps are fine.
4. I use 16v electrolytic caps (as they are physically smaller than 25v types). For everything else, I use 50 or 100v. It's not really an important value though as the voltage going through them shouldn't exceed 10v.
5. The LPB is an awesome first project and sounds pretty good to boot. Check out any of the sites listed in the stickies and see if you can find another pedal that interests you. Have a look around for MOSFET boosts - they are known for being fairly transparent.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
What are MKT capacitors? And is poly film polyester or polypropylene?

Edit: What enclosure should I use?
Last edited by Codog at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by Codog
What are MKT capacitors? And is poly film polyester or polypropylene?

Edit: What enclosure should I use?

MKT = metallised....... something or other. Basically like poly film caps, but smaller.
For enclosures, use something slightly bigger than you think you're going to need. It makes your layout a lot easier to work out. I think the Hammond `590 is pretty standard for effects.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."