I'm going to Iowa this summer, and i am NOT going another trip without guitar for a WHOLE week! I have a hardshell case, and a Dean Tuscon....so do you think my guitar will get beat up on the plane ride???
BTW, i already checked, i can't carry it on. It has to ride with the luggage.
with a hardcase? naw, i dont think so... unless the plane flies through the bermuda triangle, but then seeing as you are only going to iowa, it should be ok ^^
Quote by Nirvana-Man
Wait, i have a gig bag also, which should i take?? Gig bag or hardshell case??

You're . . . you're kidding, right? What airline are you flying? I'd double check with them, because every airline I've ever flown has either put my guitar in the overhead bin, or they've put the guitar in a closet area (along with golf clubs and other things people can't trust to the throwers).
If they won't let you take it on the plane, then ask who'll pay for it if it is damaged? if all else fails, bubble wrap it until it just squeezes into the case. It should be fine. Unless one of the throwers steps on it.
yeah, I traveled from Alaska to Michigan with my acoustic in a hard shell case in the luggage area. The case got a little beat up, with a few scratches on it. The guitar was just fine. I wrapped the neck in a towel to keep in from moving around, and I think I did the same with the body, I don't remember. Then I put a strap around the case, around the body-area of it, just in case the latches on the case came unlatched. But yeah, if you do have it as luggage, I'd make sure that the airline would compensate you for any damages, and then when you pick up the guitar at your destination, take it out in the airport and inspect it there before taking it home.
I used to work for the airlines and we would deal with this stuff all the time. Do a claim at gate with it and it will be just find. In case you aren't familiar with what that is basically instead of checking the guitar with your luggage you bring it through security and drop it off at your gate right as you get on the plane. When you get off you can pick it up right outside the plane. That way the guitar goes on the plane last so it's not buried underneath everything, it's handled more gently, and it will typically go in a heated compartment so you don't have to worry about it freezing or anything.
Freight it forward before you go that way you wont be seen as a terrorist trying to get it on as hand luggage. Also i would trust freight companies more than ground personal at airport.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
^in the US it's all the same. US mail is loaded onto the luggage compartment of passenger planes just like the rest of the stuff, it just has more time to get knocked around if you post it.

If it's in a hard case then you should be fine. Even though you checked, they still might let you count it as a carry on. What they will do is make you check it at the side of the plane but it will go into a smaller compartment that is a bit more safe.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Twist of fate
Get a hardcase and make sure they fasten it down. I think for special things like that they put them in a special compartment. My aunt used to travel with her guitar all the time

So you think i'll be able to get it as a carry on?? Or at least in the plane somewhere, not being hurled around by luggage people?
You should be able to. Just make sure you get written information on how they will cover it if it is damaged. My dad put his Applause through checked luggage once, and they put a big sticker that said "FRAGILE" on it. When we took it out of its case at the destination, a strap button was nearly impacted in its plastic back, and the preamp+battery+controls had dislodged into the body. It was repairable (and we didn't place much value on the guitar), so we didn't cry about it. Needless to say, on the way back it rode with us as a carry-on.
Hey hi Cord Naw, I meant land freight , Trucks , surley the USA still uses them. I suppose im biased as my family owns a trucking buisness LOL
P.S. Hey Cord how is the 'Old Dart' ?

Also the air freight if you freight it forward, doesnt go on the plane like passanger luggage. Yes it goes in the same hold of the plane but the difference is that they go on as a packed freight bin that fits the shape of the aircraft hold. When you go to the air freight company you can certainly ask to inspect the loading of the freight bin before it gets trucked to the plane. What im trying to get at is that you havent got some dickhead throwing your FRAGILE marked guitar. Man i have seen these guys in action (as i said family owns a truck buisness) & quite honestly things marked fragile, sometimes get "the treatment" from pissed off workers. "Opps this is fragile" as they drop it to the ground. or throw it headlong into the hold. Especially if they have a truck driver nearby to impress.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jul 9, 2007,
If you MUST be carried with the luggage. fill in the gaps of your hardshell case with rolled up shirts and you may also want to cover your guitar with a few layers of sheets, at an airport i went too, they wrapped up my luggage in some plastic wrap or something, for a few bucks.
Last edited by Kennethd at Jul 9, 2007,