Can it? I play a lot of metal and I have a budget of $2,000 to spend on a guitar. I really like the JEM, but if it can't play metal (stuff like Children of Bodom, In Flames, Megadeth, Metallica, Necrophagist) then I can't get it. Also, can anyone give some good recommendations for metal guitars for $1,500 to $2,000?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
you could get a JEM

or you could get a custom shopped ESP guitar.

might be a bit more than 2k but its a one of a kind.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Of course not. Everyone knows Steve Vai is a strict Flaminco player.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ExplorerFreak
Christian Muenzer from Necrophagist plays a JEM. Sometimes.

Where are you getting that info?

Muhammed did use his brother's JEM with a tonezone in the bridge for leads though.
Quote by Guitarislife125

Muhammed did use his brother's JEM with a tonezone in the bridge for leads though.

Tonezones are lower output than the Evos that are in the JEMs to begin with.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Tonezones are lower output than the Evos that are in the JEMs to begin with.

I meant neck by the way too, it's late
Quote by Guitarislife125

I saw it in a video once (and no I am not mistaking for his Universe (which is an equally sexy guitar.))

If I am not mistaken Muhammed used nothing but Ibbys for recording.

Completely off the topic, I got to talking with Muhammed and As Blood Runs Black at Summer Slaughter, can you believe Muhammed is one of the designers of MercB's gas tanks in current production models? He is cool as hell. I told him about the fourms and he said he is on one too but I didn't push for details.
Damn straight it can play metal.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
2 grand hey? Personally I'd lean towards something like an ESP MH-1000 with EMGs. You'd get an awesome metal guitar, and still have a little cash left over.
Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Yah man, if I were you I would get something even MORE suited for metal. Look at ESPs or high end Jacksons. Maybe even some high end RGs that you could mod the **** out of.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
A JEM can definitely play metal. It's a pretty versatile guitar, contrary to many people's beliefs. I for one love the JEM.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Jari Maenpaa plays a JEM in a video Ive seen. It played metal.
Spastic Ink
Unearth have been known to use a unviverse live and i know that isnt a jem but amazingly similar.

Unearth are metal as F**K
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Almost any guitar will 'do' metal if you get it going through a good amp or stompbox and EQ it up right. The JEM will do this very easily, All Ibanezs except the hollowbody ones are pretty good at metal
ohai little sig.
Let me check... yup
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Are you buying the proper JEM or the JEM555 ?

doesnt the JEM555 come with an edge pro II floyd rose ?

ISnt that floyd rose bad or something ?
About the ESPs. I was thinking of getting a custom, but I'm kind of pushing it by even getting the JEM. My budget really is $1,500, but I'm thinking of going over since I'll save a lot in the long wrong. The only other guitar that I'm seriously looking at is the Ernie Ball John Petrucci. I know those are good for metal, but for some reason I associate them with John Petrucci (obviously) and I'm not really fond of his playing so buying a signature guitar of him feels a little weird. But, at least it doesn't have a Floyd Rose :P.

Thanks for the responses.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Oh yeah I forgot about the non custom ESPs. First off, I don't like active pickups because you have to put in batteries. Second, even though I play mostly metal, I still play some Jazz occasionally and I think that the JEM would be more suiting.

Thanks.
Quote by DieKrupps
Are you buying the proper JEM or the JEM555 ?

doesnt the JEM555 come with an edge pro II floyd rose ?

ISnt that floyd rose bad or something ?

Yes, the JEM 555 comes with a low-end Edge Pro II and for the price you pay for a JEM 555, it's insufferable.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by MetalheadA7X
Unearth have been known to use a unviverse live and i know that isnt a jem but amazingly similar.

Unearth are metal as F**K

Yeah... no. Unearth is straight up metalcore. If you are going to talk about a band using a Universe, you should probably talk about Morbid Angel (Even though I'm pretty sure the PUs were switched).

Back to the topic, TS a JEM will be fine for metal, just be sure to play cleanly since the pickups are extremely unforgiving. No one wants to hear sloppy metal :P
Wait what about a Universe? I haven't been able to find any on musciansfriend.com, samash.com, or whatever so can anyone tell me how much they cost and how they stack up to the JEM. A link to a site selling them would be appreciated.

To the guy who said the pickups are unforgiving. Would you say this would be a bad choice for me then? I'm still kind of a beginner (if you consider 3 years a beginner) and I play a bit sloppy. But, I suppose this will make me become less sloppy then. Alright nevermind.

And thanks for the responses.
Ibanez UV777
You have to search for the model instead of Universe apparently... But it's basically a 7-string JEM but with Blaze pickups instead of Evos. I think it would be better to learn on a guitar like this, since mistakes would be more visible. BTW, what type of amp do you have?

*EDIT* The Universe is also made of basswood, has a Lo-Pro trem instead of Edge Pro, and I believe the neck is different, but it doesn't specify what kind it has.
Last edited by NightmareXT at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Wait what about a Universe? I haven't been able to find any on musciansfriend.com, samash.com, or whatever so can anyone tell me how much they cost and how they stack up to the JEM. A link to a site selling them would be appreciated.

To the guy who said the pickups are unforgiving. Would you say this would be a bad choice for me then? I'm still kind of a beginner (if you consider 3 years a beginner) and I play a bit sloppy. But, I suppose this will make me become less sloppy then. Alright nevermind.

The Universe is Steve Vai's signature 7-string guitar. I don't think you're looking for a 7-string, right?

EVOs are high output pickups and thus are more sensative to string vibrations. Effective muting techniques are a must no matter what guitar you play - with these pickups, you just need to be a little more disciplined with your muting techniques. The low E string tends to sound out alot on its own.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Oh I didn't know the universe was a seven string. Never mind. Alright I guess the JEM is the best bet unless you guys think the Petrucci model is better. I'll go look at a JEM this week at Sam Ash.

Thanks.
Quote by StrokeMidnight

yes, blaze pups are VERY hot!

the guy from aborted uses a universe on the "dead wreckoning" video.
Today someone said I shouldn't get it because Ibanez is going purely on reputation now and it's not worth it. He said that they make cheap guitars. Is he right or should I look into another guitar?
Maybe some of the lower end models are getting that treatment (Edge III is everywhere now), but the higher end models are still awesome. Trust me, you won't regret getting a JEM.
Quote by mr kipling
It is slightly different, however.

Yeah, like having lower-output pickups than the JEM7VWH.

Quote by NightmareXT
The Universe is also made of basswood, has a Lo-Pro trem instead of Edge Pro, and I believe the neck is different, but it doesn't specify what kind it has.

Not anymore. The UV777 has had an Edge Pro 7 for years. Musician's Friend simply hasn't updated the page. The neck is a Universe neck, which is a bit thicker than the JEM's neck. It's kind of like the difference between a Wizard neck and a Wizard 7.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 17, 2007,