how often you guys change them..i know playing more wears them but how often for you guyhs!
i used dr pure blues and i only changed em after about 6 months, but they were pretty torn up by then. then i tried super slinkies and im switching those out every 2-3 months.
Gear
Epiphone Vintage Sunburst Les Paul Custom
Ibanez White Rg 120
Fender 40w Limited Edition Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
usually once a month or so. i would change them more if i had the money.

lol same here! The local guitar shop near down the street sells 2 packs for 10 bucks. not really a good deal or a bad deal
Well I haven't changed the ones on my X-plorer in about 3 weeks
and they are starting to die out..
but then again I'm always playing on it.

I saw somewhere a chart of string life. I just can't put my finger on where it was.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
4 weeks, some times 3, depending on breakages.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
they fall out of tune really easy.
sound quality is diminished
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Quote by SiKh22
how to you tell if strings need changing

They sound really dull, they come out of tune faster than usual, they feel dirty and grimy (especially the high E and B strings, brand-new they're smooth, but really old they're coarse and a little brittle)

For me, I use D'Addario XL .010's. I used to wait to change them for up to 2 months (I know before I learned the wonders of buying strings in bulk. But now that I have them ready at my disposal, I try to change them every 3-4 weeks. And I've NEVER broken a string, EVER. (I'm a pussy )
I probably change my strings about once every 2-3 months when they have passed that 'broken in' point and just sound 'dead', but I have 5 guitars in rotation so no single one is getting played constantly through that. Bulk is the way to go string wise. I haven't broken one in a long time, but when you buy in bulk it means you always have a set when you need them, even if it's 2 am on a sunday night. Buy a blitz cloth and use that on your strings if you want to make them last a little longer. Works but it's kinda oily so I just went back to dry wiping my strings
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
usually once a month or so. i would change them more if i had the money.

How do you have money for internet?

Anyways, I play atleast 3 hours a day 6 days a week and change every 2-3 months
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My strings are f'ed in around 2 weeks but I usually wait a month to change them because I can't afford to change every 2 weeks. How do some of you get your strings to last so long? What brand do you use and how long do you play a day?
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Quote by SiKh22
lol same here! The local guitar shop near down the street sells 2 packs for 10 bucks. not really a good deal or a bad deal

Dude, find a new guitar store, I get a pack for $2.33.

I change mine monthly, and I play about 7 hours a day.
Spastic Ink
until they break
im poor
or unless i need to change tunings then i get a new set
I play 2-3 hours a day, and I change them once I break them. The time it takes me to do this varies from one day to two weeks. If I did not break them, I would probably change them within one month
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
I play 1-3 hours a day, and change mine about once every 3-4 weeks, but i have been changing a lot more frequently laterly as im trying to find the string guage i know feels right.

I like ernie ball regular slinkies at the mo.
Quote by climhazzard
about every 3 weeks. 4 if i don't play too often (usually about 4-6 hours a day).

Im exactly the same as you... Also depends on recording and gigs....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
When I would go to a shop every weekend, I would change them every 2 weeks. But now I rarely go, so I'd say about every month and a half.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Well I would change the strings more often however after a while the price would add up so i guess I would change them every week or 2 depending on if the strings are still tuning up well or are they sounding baked...all depends on how that particular set of strings hold up.
Last edited by D_Vincent at Jul 9, 2007,
I change them when they begin to suffer from tuning instability. Sometimes I'll make an exception and change them if they've turned a disgusting brown color.

I really don't have the ear to notice the difference between new and old strings (other than that first day when new strings are exceptionally bright)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer