Now is the time for this little kiddie here to get a new classical so help me choose one and I'll be happy happy happy!

I can cough up numbers of about 1000$, but what a mighty cough it would be! And I can only order one online, because in my country you can only get a good classical for muchy muchy much money and from abroad but abroad is not in my country!

So extend a helping hand - suggest what guitar I should get and where should I order it from so that it makes to me with a cheerful smile and a jolly ring!
well for starters, tell us what kind of music are you into and you need to go to a shop somewhere just to try out a few, see what you like the feel of and the sound of.

For a personal preference is say tanglewood or fender.
Quote by ben__dawson
well for starters, tell us what kind of music are you into and you need to go to a shop somewhere just to try out a few, see what you like the feel of and the sound of.

Did your momma slap you around when you bothered her drunken slumber as you were a child or something?

Edit:

Just in case you didn't get it: I wants to gets a classical, I like classical music, friends, Romans and countrymen have said that I don't really have a chance of getting one in my country and thus can't try one out.
Last edited by Apeliotus at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by ben dawson

Dude since when do Fender make classical guitars lol. For that cash I would go for an Alhambra. Google them and check out their website, they are very nice guitars. There is a dude on here that knows a **** load about classical guitar in general as well he is called Im_LoUsY or something, PM him and he will sort you out. He knows his ****.
But from which site would it be best to order? I'm paranoid and don't want to have my new lover arrive with "you suck" scribbled all over it with a pink marker.

And what model should I go for? I can PM that one guy but his lousy suggestions might not do me much good as a diversity of opinions make a happy purchase!
I would say that their site is pretty reliable and if not musicians friend or something similar.

Trust me he won't give you lousy suggestions.

Quote by ImLoUsY
Hmm you haven't seen classicals over $800? LOL you haven't seen alot then! IMO a decent intermediate player and above deserves at least a $1k guitar.

To add on, Australian luthier Greg Smallman has guitars a little over $800 Aussie. Like maybe at least 9k for a 2nd hand one?

Well here are a few choices for your consideration:
Alhambra and Almansa student models - Great value, pretty nice balance of treble and bass.
Esteve student models - Great value too, more of a powerful romantic bassy tone.
Yamaha - Looks great/Plays great/Lasts long, BUT tends to have a very neutral tone and lacking in dynamic range. Treble/Bass balance is great though.

I honestly don't think that's a lousy suggestion. Ask some of these guys to, they are pretty much the resident classical guitarists: Nightwind, Dreadnought(he is on holidays) there are quite a few more but I can't think of them.

Another brand that's nicer but slightly cheaper and more "factory" made is Admira, my guitar is and Admira Sevilla and I love it, problem is that they abuse the fact that they are spanish to get more sales.
Well well Fenders do make classicals. Or rather, nylon string guitars I prefer to call them. And they sound bad! So does Ibanez.

As pasted above, those are my suggestions. Ask around I agree, but as you can see from above, non-classical guitarists lurk around here and sometimes give hilarious recommendations. No offence to them but post in thread you know about.

Good luck with it.
Quote by confusius
See what I mean about him knowing his ****?

I see, I see, praise be unto Him.

Well then, Lousy, oh esteemed one, if I were to doubt between Esteve and Alhambra which is more suitable for Segovia and which for Williams if they both were playing 'Asturias'? I wants to play Williams style more, ya'know: sharp , chilly and controlled and such, as opposed to Segovia's more warmer and dynamic playing (bare in mind I no nothing of theory so I can only describe it as a pure, child-like ignorant soul that I am), so I should go for Alhambra, non?

And yeah, I could PM you, but it's more useful for other people this way.
I agree it's more useful this way. And please stop with the worship style! LOL

Yes, Alhambra in this case. Esteve is constructed in the style of the Madrid-school, same for Segovia's Ramirez. For an even more balanced and controlled tone, go for something with a spruce top rather than a cedar top.

Keep in mind that Williams' main instrument for a long time was a Smallman guitar (lattice braced). The tone was powerful and volume was amazingly loud. A spruce top should come closer to it as opposed to a cedar top. However, Smallman builds with cedar tops (the irony!).
Alright, I'm going for the Alhambra then. But now about the retailer, I'd like to get the best deal possible. Seems like the highest model I can catch with my money is the 6P but then there's this site: http://en.woodbrass.com

And especially http://en.woodbrass.com/GUITARE+CLASSIQUE+ALHAMBRA+8P
or even http://en.woodbrass.com/ALHAMBRA+10P+CLASSICAL+GUITAR which I could probably actually afford.

But the thing is that other sites give considerably higher prices, this one seems very fishy, although tempting. So what about it, is it trustworthy? Or are there any other good sites (good = cheap)?
If possible, get a full solid guitar rather than just a solid top.

Could someone else give advice on online purchases?
I'm afraid I can't. I don't trust the computer with a credit card number. Try Dreadnought he bought his guitar over the net. Though he is on holidays...bah I don't know. Make a separate thread in the pit. There are some clever people in there that can get you covered.
Ok, I'll make one in the Pit.

But do all the models come different constructions (i.e choosing between cedar and spruce) or does it depend on the retailer or should I be shot for even asking this?
All models should come in both cedar and spruce. There may be slight price differences but the price is worth it. But don't think that cedar is inferior, it's just that in your situation I feel that spruce is more likely to be suited to you. However in the end, the differences are purely personal preference.