I know many threads like that were made before but they all end up confusing me lolll -_-'

I want to buy a new amp.... using tubes (I heard it's better) for playing metal... Bands like Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Quo Vadis, In Flames, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

I have a budget of 500~700$ and I'd need to be able to do small gigs with it and all but also being able to practice in bedroom....

Should I keep my 15w for bedroom??? or the smallgigs amp at lower levels can do the job too???

Hmm, lastly, I'd like to know.... I'd rather have a combo but would it be worth it to have a half-stack (head+cab) ????

Thanks!

PS: I'm currently using an Ibanez RG321MH with EMG85/81 through a Digitech RP80 lolll.... with a Laney HCM15R amp but I want to change the amp (which is why I made this thread). Should I change my pedal aswell?? Cause it has a few effects I enjoy using so it'd cost a whole lotta cash to get a pedalboard with these effects... I'd rather stick to it if possible... or use the amp's overdrive/distortion!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Sadly, to get even a tube amp head that has the gain you're looking for, you'd have to save up a few hundred more. I would go with a half-stack personally, just because I think combos are too wussy for metal.

Try and find a used Peavy 5150 combo. You may have to save up a little extra, but it's an ass stomping amp for metal.

EDIT: According to this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
You might be able to go for an Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 watt combo. Since it's tube, it'll be about as loud as an 80 watt solid-state amp, and should have some decent distortion.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by Shinozoku
Sadly, to get even a tube amp head that has the gain you're looking for, you'd have to save up a few hundred more. I would go with a half-stack personally, just because I think combos are too wussy for metal.

Try and find a used Peavy 5150 combo. You may have to save up a little extra, but it's an ass stomping amp for metal.

EDIT: According to this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
You might be able to go for an Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 watt combo. Since it's tube, it'll be about as loud as an 80 watt solid-state amp, and should have some decent distortion.

wtf...too wussy for metal, that's a complete fail, just because it's a combo doesn't mean it's wussy. The peavey windsor combo would own an MG halfstack of a similar price for metal, and would probably be louder overall anyway
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by MurderCore
Dude, stop spamming.

Ashdown Fallen Angels are amazingly good value in the UK and do great overdrive, and 5150 combo's really are 'killer' metal amps.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Kk... I'll consider both of those then! But I heard that 5150's weren't made anymore, being replaced with 6505?? Something like that???

As for the Ashdown Fallen Angel, do they make it in Canada??? Cause I live in Canada and I'd like to buy my things at a store/shop... I'm just gathering information on amps so when I get in the store I know what kind of amps I want and I don't get ripped off!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

Yes the 6505 is the same thing as a 5150. The list price for a new 2x12 6505 combo is around $1500 CAD. Definitely not cheap.

Options :

Traynor YCV50 Blue (might be able to buy new @ $700??)
Used Peavey XXX combo
Used Peavey 6505 combo (I paid a little over $700 for a mint used one).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by mcw00t
wtf...too wussy for metal, that's a complete fail, just because it's a combo doesn't mean it's wussy. The peavey windsor combo would own an MG halfstack of a similar price for metal, and would probably be louder overall anyway

Who on earth would use an MG half-stack for metal anyway? ANYTHING (except maybe a Line6 Spider) would own a MArshall MG. Seriously, you can make almost any amp look good by comparing it to such a POS. I was simply saying I personally think (live) metal should be played through at least a single 4x12. It's just one of those things I'm set on.
Quote by hurlyz
^ Kk... I'll consider both of those then! But I heard that 5150's weren't made anymore, being replaced with 6505?? Something like that???

As for the Ashdown Fallen Angel, do they make it in Canada??? Cause I live in Canada and I'd like to buy my things at a store/shop... I'm just gathering information on amps so when I get in the store I know what kind of amps I want and I don't get ripped off!

5150: No they don't make them anymore, that why I reccomended finding a used one, because they would be cheaper than the production 6505 combos.

EDIT: Yes, Ashdown has dealers in Canada.
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/dealers/index.asp
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 9, 2007,
I would try to up my budget a bit. The 6505 would probably be your best bet. You can get a Windsor or Valveking inside your budget. I don't play metal but some metal players use a pedal with them and they do ok. Some don't like them for metal at all. The Windsor gets more approval for metal than the Valveking.
You may want to at least try out a B-52, either at112 or at212 model. They're right in that price range, 60w and 100w respectively. They have a ton of gain so getting a metal tone is no problem, and they also have very good cleans. The only real problem with the amp I've found is that it's ****ing heavy as hell.

Oh, and btw, Ensiferum rocks
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
hmm go with randall tube series, randall has brutal metal tone. They have really good combo amps all the way up to stacks. Theyre decent priced too. Quo vadis is godly but avenged sevenfold is gay
My Gear
Randall RH 150 G3
Randall RXCM 412 Cab
Marshall MG 50 DFX
ESP LTD M-400
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Acoustic
Quote by Op3th
Oh, and btw, Ensiferum rocks

I found a dealer of Ashdown amps at about 15km of where I live so I'll take the car and go try it soon enough!

Quote by Resiliance

i've been looking for fallen angel combos everywhere, apparently they have ceased producing guitar amps and only do bass amps now. checked the official site too which confirms that they dont make any more e-guitar amps. if anyone can prove me wrong i'll be happy

i agree that a randall tube combo will be metal enough, and probably better value than any stack for a similar price
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
theres one on ebay right now, i just saw it a couple hours ago.
*zooms to ebay*
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD