is the vintage mohagany version of the studio any good?
cuz its only $750 where im getting it from and i think its a really good deal for a gibson its less than half the cost of the other lp hahaha
but would it be good for playing silverstein, from autumn to ashes, underoath, senses fail kinda stuff
like im in a gigging band and we play a show almost every week and i need a gooood guitar that stays in tune and can take a beating and i was wondering if this guitar could do the job
could it?
thanks for any help!
I play a Studio and it sounds amazing and is very sturdy. Some people claim they're no good compared to standards but the majority of the differences are only cosmetics anyways.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
I've played that particular Les Paul and I thought it was fine. If you don't mind the finish on it, then you're all set to go. The biggest difference with that one other than the finish is that it's all mahogany rather than having a maple cap, so it sounds a little darker than a typical Les Paul.

As for people who bash the LP Studio as "low end Gibson", I find they tend to be the folks who equate price tag with quality and need to justify having spent an extra $1000 for binding and a nicer paint job. Some of the best sounding Les Pauls I've heard have been Studios.

The best I hear is "Get a Les Paul Classic. It's MUCH better than a Studio...." Well, sorry to bust the news to these people, but the Classic is the same as a Studio, only with binding. And the classic is identical to the Standard, except the Standard has a figured maple top instead of a plain top like the Classic and Studio...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 9, 2007,
It'll be fine as long as you play all the ones they have and pick the best one.

I can count the number of good LP Studios made after '99 on one hand .

The best LP period that I've ever played is my buddy's '94. Tone just oozes from that thing.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Hello!

I'm probably not the best person to give you an answer because I've only been playing for a couple of weeks but I got a LP Studio for my first guitar and I love it. It's very sexy. When I went to GC the guy who sold me my guitar plugged in one of the vintage mahoganys and it sounded really nice. I have it in the classic white with an ebony fingerboard and it's the love of my life.
thanks guys!
i think im gonna end up trading both of my epiphones and my old jackson dinky for one
i really dont care about looks..like its not as fancy as a standard or a classic but it sounds alike and is just as good
Quote by FacingUsAll
It'll be fine as long as you play all the ones they have and pick the best one.

I can count the number of good LP Studios made after '99 on one hand .

The best LP period that I've ever played is my buddy's '94. Tone just oozes from that thing.

I can count the number of good Les Pauls of any model at any price (not average, but GOOD ones - only ones I'd ever consider buying) I've played in the last 10 years on 1 hand. And of those 5 that stood out, 3 were Studios, one was a Standard Faded, and one was a Custom. I've played a lot of "meh" average ones, and a lot of really ****ty ones too.

And of course, I bought one of these exceptional sounding Studios. I came close to buying that Standard Faded, but my (now ex) wife saw that look in my eyes as I was playing it, and one look from her pretty much told me I didn't have a chance in Hell of convincing her to let me buy it. lol
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by Crunchmeister
I've played that particular Les Paul and I thought it was fine. If you don't mind the finish on it, then you're all set to go. The biggest difference with that one other than the finish is that it's all mahogany rather than having a maple cap, so it sounds a little darker than a typical Les Paul.

As for people who bash the LP Studio as "low end Gibson", I find they tend to be the folks who equate price tag with quality and need to justify having spent an extra $1000 for binding and a nicer paint job. Some of the best sounding Les Pauls I've heard have been Studios.

The best I hear is "Get a Les Paul Classic. It's MUCH better than a Studio...." Well, sorry to bust the news to these people, but the Classic is the same as a Studio, only with binding. And the classic is identical to the Standard, except the Standard has a figured maple top instead of a plain top like the Classic and Studio...

The Classic is the same as the Studio, only with "binding"? What is that? I've LOVED Classics in my day. I was seriously thinking about getting one. You saved me about $1000 good Sir! So, seriously, binding doesn't affect tone? Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Binding is cosmetic only. And I believe the Classic also has different pickups from the Studio (not a big deal). In terms of material, quality, contruction, hardware, etc... they are indentical guitars. Body binding is cosmetic only. Fingerboard binding is a matter of preference. Some people swear it makes playing easier and smoother. I personally have both bound and unbound guitars and I can't tell the difference. To me, fingerboard binding is strictly cosmetic.

And no, binding has no effect on the tone whatsoever.

Thanks a lot man. It might sound trite, but you quite literally saved me a grand. I HAD been dead-set on a Classic, as the best Pauls I've played were Classics, and I've developed a rabid bias towards them. Now I can save a grand and get a nice amp. Thanks man.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
id recommend an Epi elitist standard plus if you want more note definition. the all mahogany body of the studio may seem a little muddy and less defined than an instrument with a maple top that adds some brightness. imo, the Epi sounds better because of this, and quality is on par if not superior to low-end gibsons. however, if you like the sound, look, etc of the studio, then go for it. their still great guitars. its all preference. good luck with your purchase!
i did that, i liked the high end epi and the low end gibby. i played them both through the same amp and they were both nice (the epi was prettier) but the gibson had a better tone (for me).

thats the one i got and i am glad i didnt get the epi for the looks (i know i would have wished i went with the gibson if that was the case)
Nevermind. Misread an earlier post and tried to delete my reply here, but can't...

Carry on.

congrats on the LP than. i just bought a Gibson LP Supreme with my some of my share of my grandpa's inheritance. words cant describe it.