On my Les Paul, when I am not playing (but the volume is still up) there is a hum that comes throught he amp.

It stops when i touch the high e string, OR when I touch the metal of the bridge...

Is this normal??
No, sounds like you have a grounding problem - specifically, your bridge is not grounded properly.
No, that's normal. WHen you touch any of the metal components on the guitar, you essentially ground it and the hum stops. It's normal with any guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by mark_wuk
No, sounds like you have a grounding problem - specifically, your bridge is not grounded properly.

is it possible to fix it?

it's not a big deal, but if it can be fixed, I might like to fix it (sounds like an excuse to take my guitar apart and check out its insides)...
There's nothing to fix since there's nothing wrong. This is normal of any guitar. Now... bad grounding of the amp itself will cause that hum to worsen, but a hum is compltely normal. That's why they have the ground wire between your pots and your bridge, so that when you touch the bridge os trings, it kills that buzzing.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

gotcha, i assume that the amp is ok since when i touch it, it DOES stop.

ok, thanks for the info!!
It's absolutely NOT normal! It's indicative of a fault (i.e. your bridge isn't grounded properly) my SG doesn't do it.

None of my guitars do it, but then they are grounded properly! There are a million and one posts on how to fix it in the gear building and customizing forum, I'd suggest looking there, or using the search.
Whether or not you hear that slight hum depends on various things, one being the amount of gain used. On a low gain amp / setting, you won't hear squat for humming unless you have a badly grouded electrical system that the amp is connected to, or dirty power. Kick in high gain, and there's a hum / buzz. It's not loud if there's nothing wrong with the guitar, but it's there. If there was a bad bridge ground in his guitar, touching the strings / bridge would have NO EFFECT on the the hum. The fact it goes away when he touches it means the bridge grounding is working fine.

My Gibson does it, my old Warmoth V did it, my old Stratocaster did it, the borrowed Fender Heartfield I have at home does it, and my band's guitarist's Ibanez Destroyer and Charvel Model 5 do it. I actually had to resolder the ground wire on his Ibanez because touching the bridge didn't cancel the buzz.

The only guitars I have that don't have the hum are my EMG equipped guitars.

If the guitar was not grounded properly, the hum would get louder when you touched the strings. It's very common on guitars as manufacturers generally do not shield them as well as other electronic equipment (saves production costs).
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by jasamb
On my Les Paul, when I am not playing (but the volume is still up) there is a hum that comes throught he amp.

It stops when i touch the high e string, OR when I touch the metal of the bridge...

Is this normal??
The fact that it quiets when you touch a string (It should quiet when you touch ANY string) means that the strings/bridge are properly connected. You should check to be sure the outlet the amp is connected to is properly grounded. But if there are strong EM fields in the room you are playing in, even proper grounding won't cure the problem. You may have to change locations or just live with the hum.

Cheers,

SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.