Okay our band has written a few songs that are... well decent. But the thing is I don't know what key 1 is in. The chords are as follows:
Fmaj7, C, Am, G, D

I mainly use the pentatonic minor and major scale. So if I were to use the minor scale what key would it be? I was thinking A because F just doesnt sound right.

Also can some one explain too.

P.S. Sorry if this kind of question has been done before.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Fmaj7 would mean it was in F, but yeah, that doesn't seem right. Are you using the major or minor pentatonic?

And how well does it resolve?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I'd say go with A minor... but to fit A minor, you'd have to play a Dm instead of D! Not a big deal though, going out-of-key can add some spice into your songs!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Speak to your bandmates as what hurlyz said it cold be in one key but used an out of key chord.

Post a tab for part of the song it might clear things up.
i'd say A minor with an F# accidental just my two cents

to figure this out the best thing you can do is add up all the notes used in all the chords, remove the repeating notes (if more than one chord uses the same notes) and find what chord the song resolves to, this is GENERALLY the key.

as an addendum, most songs either start or end on the root key (not always, just quite often)
Okay. Thanks guys.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell