No, it isnt.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
No, they aren't.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
no. go die
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
no. go die

No need to be a scumbag about it, he's only asking.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Are the Spiders good..

That's a stupid question.

It's like asking if the Mona Lisa was good.. Was the statue of David good?

Yes they were.

But, evidently no the Spider isn't.
its basically a trend on UG to hate line 6's.

idk why...

but on subject i havnt tried one. so i wouldnt know
Call me Trey.
Quote by Untitled001
Are the Spiders good..

That's a stupid question.

It's like asking if the Mona Lisa was good.. Was the statue of David good?

Yes they were.

But, evidently no the Spider isn't.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I made the biggest mistake of my life by getting this amp head because guitar center ran out of the one I wanted and I got impatient...dont make the same mistake I made! The gain is more like buzz and it sounds flat. I know its only an opinion thing but go to a guitar store and see for yourself...but youll probably be waisting your time, these guys are right it isnt very good. get a vox or something
i don't like them because i'm spoiled with mesa boogie and fender lol.. the distortion is slightly less than par and the cleans aren't very good at all.. what kind of music do you play?
well....sorry
As an owner of one for 2 years, i can honestly say its one of the, if not worst purchases i've made in quite a while.
Quote by igotabcrich32
No need to be a scumbag about it, he's only asking.

my bad, i'm sorry, but no
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I have the 30 watt line 6 spider 3 and you can buy it off me if you want. I HATE it. It is absolutely junk unless you plan on playing below half volume. when I turned it up halfway then the problems atarted coming. speakers started to buzz when the amp is turned up loud. It sounds good at low volumes though. I would suggest getting something else. this is coming from someone who actually owns one
probably classic metal, pantera, megadeth, and some blues and rock like satch, vai, stevie ray etc.
It all depends on what stage of playing you're on. I was drawn to my Spider II 212 because it was relatively cheap (compared to Marshall, which is what I really wanted), it was mid-range quality (better than Crate 150W), and had a number of effects I could mess with (unlike the Fender 212R). That was great for me, because it was my first big amp, and I had no effects so I could toy around with theirs and begin to figure out what I liked and what I wanted.
If you already have a defined style, sound, or tone (and know how to get it, and have a few pedals to get you there) then the Fender amps are great. If you have the money, however, Marshall is the way to go. Line 6 Spiders were great for me because I was developing my style, and the models and effects helped me to find what I wanted in tone for each stage (clean, crunch, and a few Overdrives). Of course, it's still an amp, and it has power, and I use it for both my bass and my guitar. After I ger my next guitar (a Gibson SG supreme Emerald Burst), I'll go after some pedals that will help me get those tones, then a new amp.
Basically, the Spider series are great for players who are still developing their style and tone. That's why I liked it.

It will save you money, too; my friend bought a Fender 212 R, and though it's a very good qualiry amp, he was always dissatisfied with the drive and distortion. He's bought three OD pedals, and a few modulation pedals to supplement them. I can get those kinds of sounds (even if I can't tweak them to my exact specifications) with the Spider. I'll eventually get pedals, but it's not a necessity yet.
If you're looking for a modelling amp specifically, you should get either a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube. These are within the same price range and a lot better than Spiders.

Spiders aren't that bad, if i must say so myself. The lead guitarist in my band uses a Spider II (or I, not sure) on the clean channel with balanced EQ and uses a POD for the rest. It sounds great, maybe it's just the pod though. Spiders on their own aren't that bad, but they are just not that good either
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
It is easy to weed out the Line 6 bashers. Believe the people who own one and have been playing guitar for at least two years. I have a feeling that they may sound ok in the music store or at home at low volumes but may fall flat when turned up in a band situation, but I have only tried them at music stores. If people tell you they own one and it sucks (and explain why) it would be safe to assume they are trying to spare you grief. If someone likes them (and owns one) listen to them. I can almost always find something in an amp I can like.
Quote by cleft11
can i have some reasons why as well please?>

Cleans are bad, Distortion is ****e. You may as well play through a digital alarm. The effects aren't bad, but they mess with a poor sound. You can get far better for the money.
I own a 30 watt spider 3.

I LOVED it in the store. even when i got it home it was good, better then my 15 watt marshall. but then I took it over to my friends house to jam and turned the volume halfway and then problems started. speaker started to buzz at a little less then half volume and I'm just not happy with it. I'm buying a tube halfstack and I'm thinking about keeping it for a practice amp cause it's good at low volumes but not high volumes
They arent that bad, like said already, they're are good to get to know what different effects do and how to use them. Its also nice to have a variety of sounds to play with. However, if you actually need the amp to gig with or play loudly with friends, it does get pretty muddy when cranked. It depends on what you need them for.
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
its basically a trend on UG to hate line 6's.

idk why...

but on subject i havnt tried one. so i wouldnt know

Agreed Line 6 are actually vry decent if u know how 2 use them.. the spider 3's are much better then spider 2's.

My guitarist has 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IblhQws2oMQ
Spider 3s are a good practice amp as they are cheap but can go loud when need ba and have effects.

Bad points:
Very flat sounding
Lifeless
Any tube amp would blow it away for quality and volume.

BTW mustaine=god your sig is wrong limewire pickups?
Use

The

Fucking

Search

Button
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
there terrible
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
It's best you try things out than asking the bandwagoners and haters here.

I found the Spider 3 to be ok, but the 2 is pretty awful.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
no, they're not, but i really like this new brand of 'search bar' amps...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
The 15 watter makes a decent practice amp for those starting out. Not much versatility but it's got lots of toys to play with.

Everything else is a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by mustaine=god
Agreed Line 6 are actually vry decent if u know how 2 use them.. the spider 3's are much better then spider 2's.

My guitarist has 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IblhQws2oMQ

honestly, ive fiddled witha spider 3 for a long time and i didnt lik eit. though at low volumes it isnt as bad as everyone says, i would still never buy it.

and no offence but your guitarist kind of sucks, not playing the solo and using the excuse " i didnt feel like it" is kind of lame if you ask me. and hes not getting a good tonne at all.
I actually don't mind the Spider amps (i really don't play too much clean songs though...) but i am thinking about purchasing one (the Line 6 Spider III 15 Modeling Combo) for $99 for a practice/portable amp... But whatever, go ahead and hate me U.G. users..
The thing about the Spider 3 15 watt is that you'd basically be better off getting a Toneport.

More versatile, more models and effects, and you can record vocals too.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you play metal 90% of the time and you find that the $50 difference between a Vox and Roland cube are too much then the Spider is your best bet.

I prefer the spiders over the Valvetronix. Spiders give me a dryer metal tone which is what I prefer. I prefer the Roland cube over both the Spider and Vox though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by minnaow
It all depends on what stage of playing you're on. I was drawn to my Spider II 212 because it was relatively cheap (compared to Marshall, which is what I really wanted), it was mid-range quality (better than Crate 150W), and had a number of effects I could mess with (unlike the Fender 212R). That was great for me, because it was my first big amp, and I had no effects so I could toy around with theirs and begin to figure out what I liked and what I wanted.
If you already have a defined style, sound, or tone (and know how to get it, and have a few pedals to get you there) then the Fender amps are great. If you have the money, however, Marshall is the way to go. Line 6 Spiders were great for me because I was developing my style, and the models and effects helped me to find what I wanted in tone for each stage (clean, crunch, and a few Overdrives). Of course, it's still an amp, and it has power, and I use it for both my bass and my guitar. After I ger my next guitar (a Gibson SG supreme Emerald Burst), I'll go after some pedals that will help me get those tones, then a new amp.
Basically, the Spider series are great for players who are still developing their style and tone. That's why I liked it.

It will save you money, too; my friend bought a Fender 212 R, and though it's a very good qualiry amp, he was always dissatisfied with the drive and distortion. He's bought three OD pedals, and a few modulation pedals to supplement them. I can get those kinds of sounds (even if I can't tweak them to my exact specifications) with the Spider. I'll eventually get pedals, but it's not a necessity yet.

this is almost exactly how i feel about this amp. i own the 75 watt.

it could be a lot better, but i feel that 300 for 75 watts is good, especially for someone who is still learning, which is me. it has alot of good settings but the range of the settings is not good enough, in my opinion. but it cannot be perfect, can it?

some of the "problems" i have may just be due to the fact that im a beginner and i dont know what im talking about, but i know that this amp is alot better than my last one. (i played a peavy bass untill i got this, i would tell you the story but it is long) so remember it CAN in fact be worse.

bottom line: try it. if you like it, buy it. remember you can always sell it if you absolutely hate it later on.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
i have have the spider 2 head and i have a beringer 4X12 cab it does kinda blow...one thing that bugs me the most is the all the effects, yknow it kinda sounds neat to have all the effects in there, but thy'r HORRIBLE, the only on i can use is a little delay....DON"T get a spider if you think th effects will sound good !
i didn't read anything beyond the initial post, and i'm only responding to that.
no they aren't any good (though i guess could be fun as a practice or warmup amp...but nothing beyond that).
Quote by cleft11
can i have some reasons why as well please?>
Use the search function.
There's about one of these threads every day.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I've got a Spider 3 150 watt combo (I hate tube hiss) and I've been playing for over 25 years. It's a decent amp at low & high volumes and I get no feedback or screeching even with my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow electric w/stock pups. Yes the chorus/phase could be a lot better (one knob w/no extra parameters???). Most of the 400 preset sounds are a joke and unuseable and a pain to scroll through, but all the sounds were created with the basic control knobs anyway. make & save your own or turn all of it off and use a pedal.
I also use the amp to do direct recording from the headphone out right into my 32 track Korg deck and it sounds great (stereo!).

As with anything, try before you buy. If your really a tube guy then no digital amp will do. Want more info about what is good & bad about a Spider? Go to the Spider forums...

p.s.
Cheddar1, does your cab have 2 inputs? I believe your head is a stereo amp? (I had the Spider 2 150 watt combo - yuk, then traded for the 3) so if your only plugging in one output from the head...? I'm not sure tho'...