If I were an enlisted marine and after 4 years decided to join the Navy to become a SEAL would I just enlist and go through the Navy's basic training or is there any other ways to do it? The only reson I ask is because my friend said there was a way to skip the Navy's basic but I couldn't find anything to back that up. He said it had something to do with the Marines being a department of the Navy but I though the became their own branch a long time ago. Anyway, any help would be awesome. Thanks
i think you skip the training if you were a marine, but you cant go like from the army to the navy and skip the training, it just works for marines...

i think...
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
i think you skip the training if you were a marine, but you cant go like from the army to the navy and skip the training, it just works for marines...

i think...

I doubt it.
no, you don't have to do Navy's basic if you join the Marines. I looked at doing the same thing a few years ago and you can apply for BUD/S from the Marines.

Its not the glitz and glamor that everyone makes it out to be or that it was 10-20 years ago. I suggest you do a good deal of research on the training and effort that goes into the SEAL program, its very difficult and 99.9% of the people today can't make it. People that do make it are pretty much born for it and are special cases. It goes well beyond physical and mental strength.

There is a lot of reading material and information out there today on the program, read up on it and see what you think. A lot of people join USN or USMC with the intentions of going into the seal program and most of them don't make it, not to mention you can't do it for a few years after being in.

My advice, unless you can run 5 miles in 30 minutes, do 800-1000 pushups in one sitting, an hour of flutter kicks, all on 3 hours of sleep for the entire week and covered in close to freezing water, join the Army. Not that Army infantry is easy, but its practical.
SEALs

PFFFT

SAS FTW
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
What's the point? You're already a marine.

Marine=My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

And yes, you can skip basic.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
There is a time limit for skipping basic after leaving any branch of service and I don't remeber what it is. 7 yrs comes to mind. In the U.S. any basic will allow you to transfer to another branch without retaking basic within a set time period that I really don't remember
SAS>SEALS don't make me laugh. Similar but don't go fuck with either. If you haven't been there please keep your opinions to yourself. And I know youv'e never been there or you would have never said it. Any special ops training from any branch of service from any country is intense beyond your imagination with dropout rates well above 90% for all of them.
U.S. Army Airborne Infantry ftw.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Marines -> Navy is different from the other services since the USMC is a part of USN, but don't tell a Marine that...
And yes you have to go through basic again. The navy seals basic is different from everyone else in the navy. YOu apply to the seals, you can't skip anything. You have to go through the same stuff all the other guys go through. Although on the plus, your already in shape and know weapons training again, so it should be easier. In this case it makes no difference, you could be in the navy and still have to go through basic again. its to give everyone the same experience.

Fun fact, the navy seals are the only special forces anyone (including civilians) can apply for and automatically get in (whether you make it through training is another thing).

The army (green berets/special forces) marines (pathfinders/force recon) and air force (parachute rescue jumpers) all must be in the service, apply for the transfer and go through an application process to just get a chance to train.

Friends dad (ex-green beret) explained this too me. Most special forces consider the navy seals as and i quote him "the pussy way of getting in"

EDIT: and i don't mean to be a prick but Army airborne is NOT a special forces branch. Nor the airborne rangers. They're a lot better than most army units, but they're a step below say the green berets.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by LordSephiroth
no, you don't have to do Navy's basic if you join the Marines. I looked at doing the same thing a few years ago and you can apply for BUD/S from the Marines.

Its not the glitz and glamor that everyone makes it out to be or that it was 10-20 years ago. I suggest you do a good deal of research on the training and effort that goes into the SEAL program, its very difficult and 99.9% of the people today can't make it. People that do make it are pretty much born for it and are special cases. It goes well beyond physical and mental strength.

There is a lot of reading material and information out there today on the program, read up on it and see what you think. A lot of people join USN or USMC with the intentions of going into the seal program and most of them don't make it, not to mention you can't do it for a few years after being in.

My advice, unless you can run 5 miles in 30 minutes, do 800-1000 pushups in one sitting, an hour of flutter kicks, all on 3 hours of sleep for the entire week and covered in close to freezing water, join the Army. Not that Army infantry is easy, but its practical.

My grandpa was a Marine for 23 years. He said I can apply for seal training from the Marine Corps. I would be a Marine serving as a Seal he said. I dont know if I could meet the physical standards but I know the Marine Corps is within my reach. So if I can get through the Corps I might build up more endurance. Just looking at my options. I thought about the Army but I wanted to do something more challenging. Both my Grandpas were Marines so I'm kind of following in their footsteps.
Last edited by iluvmyprs89 at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
And yes you have to go through basic again. The navy seals basic is different from everyone else in the navy. YOu apply to the seals, you can't skip anything. You have to go through the same stuff all the other guys go through. Although on the plus, your already in shape and know weapons training again, so it should be easier. In this case it makes no difference, you could be in the navy and still have to go through basic again. its to give everyone the same experience.

Fun fact, the navy seals are the only special forces anyone (including civilians) can apply for and automatically get in (whether you make it through training is another thing).

The army (green berets/special forces) marines (pathfinders/force recon) and air force (parachute rescue jumpers) all must be in the service, apply for the transfer and go through an application process to just get a chance to train.

Friends dad (ex-green beret) explained this too me. Most special forces consider the navy seals as and i quote him "the pussy way of getting in"

EDIT: and i don't mean to be a prick but Army airborne is NOT a special forces branch. Nor the airborne rangers. They're a lot better than most army units, but they're a step below say the green berets.

I guess I just need to ask a recruiter. My grandpa (Marine 23 years) said I could apply for Seal training AS a Marine. So I wouldn't go through the Navy's basic. But I'll find out. Seems as though your friends dad should have more respect for the fellow service men. I dont think anything that has to do with the Navy Seals can be described as "pussy". ha.
Quote by Jackal58
There is a time limit for skipping basic after leaving any branch of service and I don't remeber what it is. 7 yrs comes to mind. In the U.S. any basic will allow you to transfer to another branch without retaking basic within a set time period that I really don't remember
SAS>SEALS don't make me laugh. Similar but don't go fuck with either. If you haven't been there please keep your opinions to yourself. And I know youv'e never been there or you would have never said it. Any special ops training from any branch of service from any country is intense beyond your imagination with dropout rates well above 90% for all of them.
U.S. Army Airborne Infantry ftw.

Well he might have played the video game... practicaly the same thing right? lol
Quote by iluvmyprs89
I guess I just need to ask a recruiter. My grandpa (Marine 23 years) said I could apply for Seal training AS a Marine. So I wouldn't go through the Navy's basic. But I'll find out. Seems as though your friends dad should have more respect for the fellow service men. I dont think anything that has to do with the Navy Seals can be described as "pussy". ha.

Like I said before, seals aren't what they used to be.
Ever seen the training of the "Légion étrangère"? that's sick.
And you can't compare SAS to SEALS, but I do think SAS are a bit better on their own (SEALS are highly trained with long-distance equipment, aren't they?)
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
first of all you have yo be an officer geniuses. i cant believe someone didnt say that. 5 miles in 30 min is a lil over exaggerated because some of the best xc runners in college/world can only run 6 miles in 28. now ya there are a few people who can run it in prob about 26 or under. now i am not saying it is not hard. their training lasts for a year. then they get deployed to a unit and have to work some more before action. i would also like to meet a person who could do 1000 pushups in one sitting. im not saying someone cant because someone can but it would be way cool. and yes you could probably transfer from marines to seals because marines is part of the navy in a way.
like a chicken on a junebug.- coach teasdale

if you dont want to play basketball go to underwater basket weaving. coach teasdale

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
-- Douglas Adams
Seals are mother****ing badass
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by youngandplayin
first of all you have yo be an officer geniuses. i cant believe someone didnt say that. 5 miles in 30 min is a lil over exaggerated because some of the best xc runners in college/world can only run 6 miles in 28. now ya there are a few people who can run it in prob about 26 or under. now i am not saying it is not hard. their training lasts for a year. then they get deployed to a unit and have to work some more before action. i would also like to meet a person who could do 1000 pushups in one sitting. im not saying someone cant because someone can but it would be way cool. and yes you could probably transfer from marines to seals because marines is part of the navy in a way.

I can't believe you did say that. Where did you get that little tidbit of misinformation from?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by youngandplayin
first of all you have yo be an officer geniuses. i cant believe someone didnt say that.

No, You don't have to be an officer.

5 miles in 30 min is a lil over exaggerated because some of the best xc runners in college/world can only run 6 miles in 28. now ya there are a few people who can run it in prob about 26 or under. now i am not saying it is not hard. their training lasts for a year. then they get deployed to a unit and have to work some more before action.

No, thats not how it works. Considering you have to make a 5.5 mile swim in a certain amount of time, running 5 miles in 30 minutes would be much easier
Pff SAS > Everything haha.

Even if that's not true, at least our Bushmasters pwn your Hummers.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by greety
Pff SAS > Everything haha.

Even if that's not true, at least our Bushmasters pwn your Hummers.

Land Rover Wolf > All
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
Comparing the SAS to the SEALs is a harsh. There both the same. In an international crisis i'd choose both.
Quote by Moggan13
Comparing the SAS to the SEALs is a harsh. There both the same. In an international crisis i'd choose both.

You get more value for money with the SAS, it only takes about 2 SAS to do a job that would take about 20 SEALs.
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'

PM me to join
Entering training to become a Navy SEAL is voluntary. Anyone can volunteer, and officers and enlisted men train side by side. In order to enter SEAL training, however, they do have to meet certain requirements. Those wishing to volunteer for SEAL training have to:

* be a male active-duty member of the U.S. Navy
* be 28 or younger (although waivers for 29- and 30-year-olds are possible)
* possess uncorrected vision no worse than 20/200 in each eye and both eyes must be correctable to 20/20 through contacts or glasses (corrective surgery is also possible)
* be a U.S. citizen
* pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
* pass a stringent physical screening test:
o swim 500 yards in 12.5 minutes or less, followed by a 10-minute rest
o do 42 push-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest
o do 50 sit-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest
o do six pull-ups, followed by a 10-minute rest
o run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in less than 11.5 minutes

Navy SEALs undergo Vessel Boarding Search and Seizure training.
Underwater Demolition Team jumps over the side from boat.
SEALs in woodlands operation.

SEAL recruit training has these components, lasting 48 weeks (or 11 months):

* 25 weeks Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training at the Naval Special Warfare Center in Coronado (San Diego, CA)
* 1 week of static line jump training, followed by 3 weeks of Military Free Fall(MFF) Qualification training at Tactical Air Operations in Otay, CA.
* At Coronado, 19-week SEAL Qualification Training (SQT).

After this, the trainee is officially named a SEAL.[1]

Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the PST, which requires the following minimums:

* 500-yard swim using breast or side stroke in under 12:30
* At least 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in under 11:00
* Members’ vision must be no worse than 20/200 in both eyes. Vision must be correctable to 20/20. SEAL candidates may qualify for PRK surgery to correct their vision

Again, the above are the minimum requirements necessary to qualify for BUD/S. Prospective trainees are expected to far exceed these minimums. Competitive scores (according to Stew Smith, an ex-SEAL) are as follows:

* 500-yard swim using breast or combat side stroke in 7:00-8:30 minutes
* 100 push-ups in 2 minutes
* 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* 15-20 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in 8:30-10:00 minutes

I copied this from Wiki just to sort out the people arguing about what sort of training SEALs do.

PM me to join
Quote by Dr.Tomahawk
You get more value for money with the SAS, it only takes about 2 SAS to do a job that would take about 20 SEALs.

lol sorry but that is just BS and people are just being fanboy bitches for whichever country they are citizens of / reside in / have a boner for.

SAS and Seals are very comparable, though Seal Team 6 has a more similar role to the SAS.

They both have similar training methods, though SEAL training is notorious for washing out nearly all of its trainees.

The other notable difference I find is that the SAS have a nasty practice of shooting every single square inch of a room when they enter (unless its a hostage situation thats how they do it, up, down, sideways, every which way, all sprayed with bullets).

Still, they are very similar organizations and neither is more elite than the other. Stop deluding yourselves people.

Anyways, to help answer the OPs question, check this link -----> http://199.208.208.41/seal/osvetoverview.aspx

Everything you need to know you can find there. Cheers.
just an addition to the above, the run is on sand. That may not sound like much of a difference, but anyone thats ever tried to distance run on sand will tell you its not as easy as it looks, depending on how soft it is.
Quote by Dr.Tomahawk
Entering training to become a Navy SEAL is voluntary. Anyone can volunteer, and officers and enlisted men train side by side. In order to enter SEAL training, however, they do have to meet certain requirements. Those wishing to volunteer for SEAL training have to:

* be a male active-duty member of the U.S. Navy
* be 28 or younger (although waivers for 29- and 30-year-olds are possible)
* possess uncorrected vision no worse than 20/200 in each eye and both eyes must be correctable to 20/20 through contacts or glasses (corrective surgery is also possible)
* be a U.S. citizen
* pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
* pass a stringent physical screening test:
o swim 500 yards in 12.5 minutes or less, followed by a 10-minute rest
o do 42 push-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest
o do 50 sit-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest
o do six pull-ups, followed by a 10-minute rest
o run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in less than 11.5 minutes

SEAL recruit training has these components, lasting 48 weeks (or 11 months):

* 25 weeks Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training at the Naval Special Warfare Center in Coronado (San Diego, CA)
* 1 week of static line jump training, followed by 3 weeks of Military Free Fall(MFF) Qualification training at Tactical Air Operations in Otay, CA.
* At Coronado, 19-week SEAL Qualification Training (SQT).

After this, the trainee is officially named a SEAL.[1]

Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the PST, which requires the following minimums:

* 500-yard swim using breast or side stroke in under 12:30
* At least 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in under 11:00
* Members’ vision must be no worse than 20/200 in both eyes. Vision must be correctable to 20/20. SEAL candidates may qualify for PRK surgery to correct their vision

Again, the above are the minimum requirements necessary to qualify for BUD/S. Prospective trainees are expected to far exceed these minimums. Competitive scores (according to Stew Smith, an ex-SEAL) are as follows:

* 500-yard swim using breast or combat side stroke in 7:00-8:30 minutes
* 100 push-ups in 2 minutes
* 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* 15-20 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in 8:30-10:00 minutes

I copied this from Wiki just to sort out the people arguing about what sort of training SEALs do.

Oh wow. I have the fitness to be a seal. Boy, does that feel good.

'Cept...you know...my eyes. What do you mean by 20/200? Is that like 2/20?
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
Oh wow. I have the fitness to be a seal. Boy, does that feel good.

'Cept...you know...my eyes. What do you mean by 20/200? Is that like 2/20?

20/200 = almost legally blind (legally blind is 20/273, I believe). 20/20 is normal. 20/10 is extraordinary.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by graybass_20x6
20/200 = almost legally blind (legally blind is 20/273, I believe). 20/20 is normal. 20/10 is extraordinary.

Whew. Now I can be a Seal!

How cool is that!

Hopefully I can maintain my fitness for the next few years though. Lol, I'm only 14 right now. How come the requirements are so low? I mean, that's gotta be only like average fitness, and being a Seal is pretty 1337.
Gear...