Page 1 of 2
First, can I haggle down the price of an $800 U.S.D. Gibson Les Paul Mahagony? It comes with a hardshell case and is American made... I'd feel kind of tacky haggling, but I prize my monies.

More importantly: is it okay to call a store and ask them to put aside a SPECIFIC guitar that you're infatuated with and ~75% sure you are going to purchase, for a week or two? Is this okay? Is it done? I'm TERRIFIED this specific guitar will be gone come Friday, which is the earliest I can go there. Thanks for your input.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
I bought a$600 guitar once at GC, and got them to throw in a $80 hardshell case, so you can haggle a little. They easiest way is to actually ask for a discount on something else you're buying that day
Yes, you can haggle a little. Just don't expect a huge price difference and they'll usually only do it if you walk in and say something like, "I've got $750 in my pocket and I want that guitar, could you hook me up?"

They will not set aside a guitar for more than a couple of hours at the most. Many sales people won't even do that. If you can't get it right away, they do have layaway. If you do layaway don't expect a break in the price.
How old are you? Because if you're like 14 or 15 it's better if you take your dad or mom to haggle the price for you since the clerk at GC won't really take you seriously.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
i have that mahogany les paul, let me tell u man, it is very very sweet, i have the worn brown color and it is sweet
It's often very difficult and sometimes impossible to barter and haggle with national chain shops, you're better off getting friendly with the owners of some indie guitar shops.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I am 17 and I work at McDonald's.

What is layaway?

Yeah, the guitar I'm looking at is brown too. Beautiful.

Thanks!
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89

What is layaway?

Yeah, the guitar I'm looking at is brown too. Beautiful.

Thanks!

layaway is where they put your guitar to the side and you make payments on it over time to pay it off.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
IF you're buying a guitar from GC, make sure it's in good shape, meaning the neck/truss and hardware. They're notorious for selling crap floor models to unsuspecting customers and/or setting them up VERY poorly. Honestly, I'd suggest goin somewhere else - I've yet to have a good experience with GC. If you're set on THAT guitar, though, take it to a local small shop after you buy it to make sure it's cool - if it's not, take it back with the reciept.
^ I know what you mean.

So, anyone think it's that likely such a guitar in a quiet room will be sold within 1 and a half to 2 weeks time?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
^ lol will do. Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by Chickenparts
Sorry. I just loled so hard!
lol! Yeah. Hey, it's an honorable job. It's much harder work than the majority of jobs available to a 17-year-old. Plus, minimum wage is 7.15 in Michigan.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Haha nice, i'm 16 and i work at mcdonalds across the border of detroit (lasalle) ! But yeah you could probably tell them you'll buy the guitar like today IF they don't add the tax? works better in non-chained guitar stores though..,
Quote by rosswigley89

Either you've already made a LOT of bad choices or it's part-time.
Quote by shav0r
Either you've already made a LOT of bad choices or it's part-time.

Finished homeschooling. My respectable I.Q. should tell me I've made very few bad choices. You shouldn't make blanket statements out of ignorance, it's rude.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by Sense()Offender
IF you're buying a guitar from GC, make sure it's in good shape, meaning the neck/truss and hardware. They're notorious for selling crap floor models to unsuspecting customers and/or setting them up VERY poorly. Honestly, I'd suggest goin somewhere else - I've yet to have a good experience with GC. If you're set on THAT guitar, though, take it to a local small shop after you buy it to make sure it's cool - if it's not, take it back with the reciept.

Exactly. Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are one the biggest crooks in the music business. I once took a ruler to my local GC and told the first employee that I would give him $20 if I found one straight neck on any of the guitars there. I didn't lose those $20. Take your time, guitars are like buses, there's one every 15 minutes.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
^ I've noticed this in regards to Guitar Center, but, why exactly is that so? Why are their guitars set up so ****tily? I normally can't even PLAY the Strats they have at GC. Why is this situation possible? These instruments are set up properly at the factory, yes? What happens between then and GC?

Would it be inappropriate to make a new thread on this subject?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by Soul Power
Exactly. Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are one the biggest crooks in the music business. I once took a ruler to my local GC and told the first employee that I would give him $20 if I found one straight neck on any of the guitars there. I didn't lose those $20. Take your time, guitars are like buses, there's one every 15 minutes.

There are GCs in England???
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
There are GCs in England???

I actually live in El Paso, Texas but I just copied Smokey Amps avatar, location, title and sig just to mess with him.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Wait, does GC do something to the guitars after they leave the factories? Why are they so bad there?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Soul Power
I actually live in El Paso, Texas but I just copied Smokey Amps avatar, location, title and sig just to mess with him.

Oh yeah, lol. I only just realised you weren't him hehe.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Try and find other shops online that sell the guitar for a cheaper price. Take all of the printouts with you and basically say 'why should I buy this from you.'

Don't just use internet sites though, as they'll argue they don't have overhead costs, which is true. Find internet versions of real shops.
Why're GC guitars in such **** shape? Obviously, strings and tuning can be attributed to public usage, but what of intonation, and general quality? Again, you can blame a poorly put together Les Paul on Gibson, but, really, does GC just stock up on **** guitars intentionally, or is Gibson really that bad at creating some consistency in their product? Why do they basically "defloat" a Strats bridge? Anything you have to say on the matter, I'm curious, and I'm not the only one I'm sure.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Why didn't you just put this in your other Guitar Centre thread you mongoloid?

We don't have Guitar Centre's in the UK, as far as I'm aware, so I can't help either way
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Wait, does GC do something to the guitars after they leave the factories? Why are they so bad there?

If it's a company like Gibson in which the guitar is handmade, you don't have too worry that much. The thing I like about GC is that they will let you take it to a shop to have it checked out and if ther's anything wrong with it, they will take it back for a full refund. If the guitar is made in China, then you know there is a good chance that it's poorly made. Musicians Friend and GC know this and the fact that 5% of people who want to buy a guitar from them REALLY, and I mean REALLY know a lot about guitars, and these people are usually very well respected guitar repairmen. Even if you do buy a Gibson, take it to a very well respected guitar shop in your area to have it checked out. And where you live also affects the giutar too. If you live in a place where there is no moisture in the air, like El Paso or anywhere in the Southwest, the neck WILL curl up during the shippment.

© Soul Power
I think it's because they choice not to look at the new products coming in they just take them out of the box and sell them.
i have never bought from GC but i have heard that they are like wallmart for guitars, if u want average stuff well then its fine but their top stuff is garbage, i dont no how true that is but from hearing different people talk that is what i gathered hope it helps you out
My Gear:

Gibson Lp
ibson Sg
Fender Strat
Taylor 914

Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber
Mesa Boogie 4x12 w V30's
Marshall Avt 150

Wylde Wah
boss Ds-1
Boss Ch-1
Danelectro delay
Quote by Soul Power

...you do know that a neck is supposed to be curved elliptically right...
Quote by -February-Star-
It's often very difficult and sometimes impossible to barter and haggle with national chain shops, you're better off getting friendly with the owners of some indie guitar shops.

+1 I haggled my 1983 Gibson Les Paul Sudio from $800 to $700 because it was my birthday. It was at a local guitar shop not Guitar Center.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Wait, what's wrong with working at Mc.Donalds at the age of 17?

I mean if you're 22 and still working there you're in bad shape because you have no career and obviously didn't go to college, but if you're in high school, or were home schooled and are waiting/raising money for college what's the issue?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
i put a guitar on layaway recently without bartering. can i still barter when i pick it up or will they just say i can wait till i have saved enough?
You guys must have some ****ty GCs where you are. The ones I go to have everything perfectly set up, as in nice action, non-warped necks, and usually no scratches or dents anywhere. The only problems I've had are with wobbly volume/tone knobs and switches. The guys there are always nice too.

Also I think it is a bad idea to set a guitar aside if you are looking to bargain with them, since they know you want that exact one and are set on getting it. You'd probably have better luck just picking the guitar out at random (Or act like it's at random) and then going from there. I dunno if it would work, but that's kind of what happened to me.
Last edited by NightmareXT at Jul 9, 2007,
Quote by hamish5178
Wait, what's wrong with working at Mc.Donalds at the age of 17?

I mean if you're 22 and still working there you're in bad shape because you have no career and obviously didn't go to college, but if you're in high school, or were home schooled and are waiting/raising money for college what's the issue?

A bit off-topic, but my grillmates are a bit older than that, and they're great people. They also have futures. Ones going to college to become some kind of computer person, and the other wants to be a screenwriter. The latter might be a bit hopeful, but, hey, they're smart folks. Why the hate?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
I got an Ibanez SR500 bass ($550), a GK Backline 112 ($280), hardshell case ($80), and a strap ($10) which would equal to about $1000 after taxes for about $700 after taxes. So it depends how and who you deal with. You also have to know how to haggle. Don't just go in and say you want a $1000 guitar for half price. . . it doesnt work like that.

With regards to payments, you must put down a certain % of the cost in order for them to hold it. I think it is 20% down payment and you have a month to pay the rest. If my memory serves me right, that is how GC deals with layaways.

And on the topic of their guitars. . . some of them will be in pretty bad shape when they recieve them from factories. The woods may warp a little in transit, and some might sit in a wherehouse for weeks. Most places do a good job keeping the humidity just right, but you never know. When I bought my Martin from GC, I tried 5 differant guitars from the back to make sure I had the one I wanted. All of them played just a bit differant. So my advice would be to ask if they have any in the back for you to try out. Normally they will let you try as many as you want.

good luck

UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Quote by jono034
I got an Ibanez SR500 bass ($550), a GK Backline 112 ($280), hardshell case ($80), and a strap ($10) which would equal to about $1000 after taxes for about $700 after taxes. So it depends how and who you deal with. You also have to know how to haggle. Don't just go in and say you want a $1000 guitar for half price. . . it doesnt work like that.

With regards to payments, you must put down a certain % of the cost in order for them to hold it. I think it is 20% down payment and you have a month to pay the rest. If my memory serves me right, that is how GC deals with layaways.

And on the topic of their guitars. . . some of them will be in pretty bad shape when they recieve them from factories. The woods may warp a little in transit, and some might sit in a wherehouse for weeks. Most places do a good job keeping the humidity just right, but you never know. When I bought my Martin from GC, I tried 5 differant guitars from the back to make sure I had the one I wanted. All of them played just a bit differant. So my advice would be to ask if they have any in the back for you to try out. Normally they will let you try as many as you want.

good luck

Helpful post. Thanks much!

Tombstone FTW. I love that quote...
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
The reason the gear at GC isn't good is not becuase of ****ty equipment, rather it's because of lack of upkeeping after they've put it on the floor for every fool to bumble around with. Even the best guitar can go to **** faster than you'd believe if you don't take care of it. Either way, to the person who said their GC is perfect and can't understand where we're comin from -
I've been to GC across the states and they've all been the exact same case of sh*t. Everyone here shares simliar experiences - it can't be that it's all bs.
I don't know why everyone hates on GC. They're reasonable where I go. Most of the guitars are fine, pristine even. The fact that a few have been abused is (I think) a fair trade for everyone being able to try whichever guitar they want whenever they want.

As for haggling: I lowered a classical guitar 75 dollars (to 350) including a case.
I lowered an American tele 125 dollars (including a case) because it had a few scratches on the bridge pickup ( I don't even think that affects anything)

It can be done, just be persistent.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Page 1 of 2