I was reading this article:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/left_hand_dexternity.html

...when I came across a problem. When I try to use the "classical" position with my guitar, I have to bend my wrists to a pretty extreme angle so that I can get my middle finger and thumb to line up near the center of the neck. Its really awkward and pretty painful for me to do, so is there something Im missing? Does anyone have illustrations of what the real correct way of playing classical looks like? Also, what about when you move your hand up to, say, the 12th fret... how do you maintain the classical position without dislocating your wrist? lol this all seems so difficult for me.

Thanks guys
I don't know about that position, honestly. I've only been playing for almost three weeks. I got books and DVD's to learn how to play and the way I learned to hold the neck, is you align your thumb with your middle finger, but they don't have to "meet". Keep your thumb straight along the back of the neck and your thumb should be aligned naturally with your middle finger.

It doesn't always stay that way, especially if I'm stretching to reach other frets, but I've found that it -is- the most comfortable position for me, and I have small hands.
dude i had that problem and i kind of still have it but anyways lol
you cant hold your guitar (i supose electric right ?) like a classical guitar,not all the way infact
classical guitars have a wider neck and it feels more naturaly to hold your guitar the classical way...so my point here is that its all about comfort lol
you should hold your guitar the way it suits you the best,experiment a little with positions and remember it dosent have to always be a classica position...i hope this helped you cause it helped me
COB Hate Crew

Rock On !
Quote by supersaianGohan
I was reading this article:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/left_hand_dexternity.html

...when I came across a problem. When I try to use the "classical" position with my guitar, I have to bend my wrists to a pretty extreme angle so that I can get my middle finger and thumb to line up near the center of the neck. Its really awkward and pretty painful for me to do, so is there something Im missing? Does anyone have illustrations of what the real correct way of playing classical looks like? Also, what about when you move your hand up to, say, the 12th fret... how do you maintain the classical position without dislocating your wrist? lol this all seems so difficult for me.

Thanks guys

wow.. nice username. Sorry, i won't flame. It just takes practice
I think the ultimate position is what you feel comfortable with
Quote by supersaianGohan
Does anyone have illustrations of what the real correct way of playing classical looks like?

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/classical.gif

Best I could find after 14 seconds of looking.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
wow thanks a lot for your replies, it really means a lot

This stuff really helps, but like I said before, its hard for me to keep the position after the fifth fret, pretty much. Its not like I have the guitar down to my knees either; its probably just a little bit lower than waist level. Im gonna see what I can do to work with this, its really bothering me.

IS my wrist supposed to bend a lot? It really kills after a while of playing

thanks again
Your wrist should not be hurting after a while of playing. Find something that is comfortable. That is THE best way. Just do everything comfortably. It takes time, but it's worth playing comfortably than playing while it hurts and end up looking like some water-head .
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
you have to look for the best position of your wrist and it shouldnt hurt after playing...my problem was that i was holding my wrist to much parallel with the neck..after solving that problem there was no pain
COB Hate Crew

Rock On !