Ok, everyone I've seen (quite obviously) fast-picks with alternation of the middle and index fingers. Am I the only one who finds it easier to just use the index finger only? Or is that just me being lazy, and needing to train my fingers some more?
It prolly is easier for you as of right now, since i'm assuming your a newbie.But as you continue playing and you start to get to the faster songs and ****, using more fingers becomes more convenient
ya train your fingers some more. If you ever play any Iron Maiden that one finger will be left in the dust 9,999,999 miles behind..... and there are of course plenty of other groups that play quite quickly too. I personally use index and middle most of the time and bring my ring finger into it when i have fast successive notes. Also if i play for a really long time i try to use my ring finger on parts where it isn't too crazy just to give my other fingers extra rest time between notes.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Train both of your fingers lazy bastard..
It gives more control, obviously more speed, and is just a better way.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I always use two fingers, index and middle. Save for the occasionaly all out heavy metal/funk/jazz fused crap that I once wrote when I was bored. Then I use Index, middle, ring, and thumb. Good stuff. (Not really)
yea using one finger is ok when not playing a very fast rhythm, or u could use two fingers at the same time whne u need a stronger note. but start using both fingers because itll help when u play faster songs, and when u havent got ur bass to practise it, just tap ur fingers on tables and stuff if it doesnt annoy anyone too much in the near vicinty.
Never use just 1 finger. It's a bad habit that will haunt your playing forever. Always alternate index and middle, and if you're hardcore enough, try the whole 3 finger thing. But stay away from getting used to 1 finger.
What you are doing is called hooking, and the only person I know who did this with any sort of competence was James Jamerson.

I played this way for a long while and once you get used to playing this way, its a seriously hard habit to break. Its better to learn two fingers now and get your speed and competency up. Its going to feel awkward at first, but keep up the practice and you will notice significant increase in your speed and fluidity in bass playing.

Make a conscious effort to use both. My current teacher had me saying middle index, middle index for weeks out loud as I played and that finally broke the habit.
I consider myself lucky, I always just used two fingers. But ya, you can go waaaayyyyy faster with 2 fingers.
Emmmhh..I don't own a bass*yet*..but...what's a good way to practice speed with fingers? on the right hand, of course..on the left hand some GH could do it for a while at my friend's house I suppose (I think that could help in fret switching speed..tough it could not help on precision)
Quote by Jimbou
on the left hand some GH could do it for a while at my friend's house I suppose (I think that could help in fret switching speed..tough it could not help on precision)

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You phail. guitar hero<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<bass.
ok, ok ..sorry, bad guess, I....guess ¬¬ ..

Just some asumption about things I've heard..I really don't own the game..or plan to own it..only played it at a friend's house..well, whatever, who cares about GH

Emmhh, good way to practice speed with my fingers? *on a bass...with right hand*
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You phail. guitar hero<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<bass.

No need to be a demeaning, condescending, bitch about it. There's also no need to steal Bumpmachine's phrase.

A good way to practise speed is to just do plaing old scales. I know it sounds boring but you just need to work on it at slow speeds and then gradually go faster. I'm talking 5 BPM at a time here. Make sure you can play it fluently at each speed before you move on to the next speed. The next day move back 10 BPM from where you were the previous day and move up from there.

Oh and I apologize for the asshat.
Quote by Jimbou
ok, ok ..sorry, bad guess, I....guess ¬¬ ..

Just some asumption about things I've heard..I really don't own the game..or plan to own it..only played it at a friend's house..well, whatever, who cares about GH

Emmhh, good way to practice speed with my fingers? *on a bass...with right hand*

Dont worry, we just get mad when people compare guitar hero to any real instrument, dont take it personally. I guess you can just move your fingers as if you were plucking strings, but your just doing it to the air. Sometimes I do that, and practice my double tongueing for tuba at the same time, kill two birds with one stone.
Haha..ok, sorry..I won't compare GH to any instrument anymore (well, maybe a piano...naaah...well, maybe to those "My first piano!").

And yeah, I've pretty much been doing the "plucking to the air" thing for a long time now, just to follow the beat of a song. So I will just need to get used to the bass' strings.
Last edited by Jimbou at Jul 9, 2007,
Ya, I dont think theres really anything you can do right now that can simulate bass strings. So just keep air plucking. And you dont even have to do it to a song. Just alternate pick as fast as you can while your watching tv or something.
Oh you don't have a bass. Okay, first step before you even start to learn bass; get a bass. Even if you try to do some preliminary things ultimately when you pick up a bass it's going to be different and therefore there is little to no purpose behind doing said exercises.
Quote by poetvirgil
Ok, everyone I've seen (quite obviously) fast-picks with alternation of the middle and index fingers. Am I the only one who finds it easier to just use the index finger only? Or is that just me being lazy, and needing to train my fingers some more?

2 fingers=always for picking
1 finger=practicing fingering a girl
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue

2 fingers=always for picking
1 finger=practicing fingering a girl

be nice to the noob, he doesn't know any better, we were all there once.

EDIT: I like your bass though.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.