I have a special faded Gibson SG with a 81 in the neck and a 89 in the bridge(split coil is pretty cool sometimes) and i don't play metal anymore and I've been getting pretty sick of them because i just don't feel they do anything else that well.

so i was thinking Seymour Duncuns
now I play
-classic rock (blue oyster cult, led zeppelin, van halen(on the metal side)
-blues
-alternative (i.e. radioheadish)
-indie (silversun pickups, blood brothers, interpol)

so i want something that dosn't over do it on the gain but i still want to be able to kick in a pedal and give it a big push on the distorted side here and there. but i want pretty cleans too sooo educate me please
How much do you want to spend?

Quote by flamingmarble27
Seymour Duncan JB?

I don't think the JB does anything of what he wants .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I my self am an ex-metal head, and also have a Gibson Les Paul with emg's. I contemplated getting rid of mine for awhile because I thought the same thing but realized it's not true. I have the 81 at the bridge and I really like the overdrive sound it produces it's smooth and not to harsh. you just have to adjust the height of the pickup to suit your sound most people miss good tone because they do not do this. so I would suggest changing pickup positions. the 89 is actually a really good neck pickup.
Amps: Vox AC-30 and a Modified Peavey Classic Vt.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul and a Schecter 7-string.
MFX & Pedals: Line 6 Pod Xt, Jekyll & Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal and a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive.
Last edited by AC-30 at Jul 9, 2007,
i honestly do think that the JB will do what you want, although i honestly...do like the custom's tone more, the JB is a lil higher output and is more trebly

i second azrael's reccomendation

if you're willing to spend around 150-200 i'd say a pearly gates in the neck and a duncan Custom in the bridge, i love that combo
Quote by Dark Aegis
Yeah I want to do a pick up swap in one of my guitars

It'll be about two weeks or so till they are available probably

180$ for both?
get some gibson pickups, i've had nothing but good experiences with them, you can grab a pair of 57 classics from a guitar center for that if you haggle them a little, just tell them you have 180 bucks and you want those pickups and they'll hook you up, make sure you get a veteran sales person..

i've heard that guitarfetish.com has decent paf humbuckers, better than duncans from what i've played.

edit
i totally agree though, people with 666 in their sn do have abnormally small penises
Last edited by sempri_fi at Jul 10, 2007,
Gibson pickups are way overpriced.

You can get custom wound pickups at www.highorderpickups.com for cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Why does everyone rec' the JB blindly..?

SH-1 '59 + SH 14 Custom 5. That'll do it. Install push pull pots for series/parallel options, and you'll also get some great cleans.

I third that, seeing as somebody already seconded it...the Custom 5 is a great pickup for getting a Les Paul to sound more raunchy and downright rock and roll.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Check these out too:
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

A Runaway in the bridge and a Condor is a perfect combo for you. I have a Runaway in the bridge and it's absolutely awesome, a great classic rock pickup!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by AC-30
I my self am an ex-metal head, and also have a Gibson Les Paul with emg's. I contemplated getting rid of mine for awhile because I thought the same thing but realized it's not true. I have the 81 at the bridge and I really like the overdrive sound it produces it's smooth and not to harsh. you just have to adjust the height of the pickup to suit your sound most people miss good tone because they do not do this. so I would suggest changing pickup positions. the 89 is actually a really good neck pickup.

what changes did you make to your setup to make it less metal more classic rock, eq pedal etc wise and such
I actually traded my Mesa Duel Rec half stack for a Vox AC30 and I couldn't be happier. the Vox is one of the best sounding amps I have ever played. It has an awesome clean tone and sounds great with a good distortion box. and it's plenty loud, and a lot easier to get around with. It can do everything from light jazz to death medal. A couple days ago I actually played with one of the metal bands I used to play with and I had no problem keeping up with there mesa's. as far as everything else I use it's in my signature. P.S. metal taught you that mid range is your enemy they were wrong. It holds the key to great tone.
Amps: Vox AC-30 and a Modified Peavey Classic Vt.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul and a Schecter 7-string.
MFX & Pedals: Line 6 Pod Xt, Jekyll & Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal and a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive.
Quote by AC-30
. P.S. metal taught you that mid range is your enemy they were wrong. It holds the key to great tone.

+1

Mids are your friend! When I try to scoop my mids it sounds thin and not full.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...