Hey, i know valvekings are cheap, i've played them and they dont sound THAT bad. i play alot of metal and metalcore though and theres not enough distortion. how do you think a nice overdrive pedal like a maxxon or something along with some of the valvekings distortion? has anybody tried this?
I used a boss blues driver with mine and i can get metal tones, very noisy though, a noise reducer is definatly advised.
Why not just save up for a combo that can actually reach that territory like a Marshall TSL 602 or something. I advise that you don't get a VK. Why get an amp to serve a purpose that it wasn't supposed to?

IncuEdit: However, Maxon OD-9's are great overdrives so recommend getting one anyway.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I do not play metal. However the consensus seems to be:
Replace the tubes with better ones.
Upgrade to a better speaker.
Use a pedal.
People who own them and play metal say this makes them acceptable for the genre.
For me (classic rock ala Hendrix, Cream, white boy blues) they have plenty of distortion stock. I don't gig but have cranked it in loud jam situations and have no complaints about the stock speaker. The stock tubes seem just fine. You have to tweak the knobs until you get it right. After the amp is burned in and the speaker broken in it sounds way better than it does brand new.
If you feel like you need all these upgrades (which involves expense) it may not be such a good deal.
If you want to buy it and break it in (patience) it might work for you without upgrades.
I feel sure you will want a distortion pedal. Almost all metal players use a distortion pedal of some kind no matter what amp they have.
The stock Windsor seems to get higher marks for metal and is also a good deal.
I loved my Valveking while I had it, and I used to play heavy stuff on it, but eventually I had to face the truth and get a professional amp. If you're good enough, it is good enough to sound impressive with though.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
I do it with a crappy tube screamer by ibanez AND a Mt-2 on the clean channel. Both sound fairly respectable.
Don't get a VK, save up for a used 5150/6505 combo.

For metal at least, IMO.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
peavey valveking can get enough distortion for any kind of music and if you disagree you just have no idea what you are doing with the amplifier because i can get the distortion tone of basically any kind of metal
Quote by Blackdiamond045
peavey valveking can get enough distortion for any kind of music and if you disagree you just have no idea what you are doing with the amplifier because i can get the distortion tone of basically any kind of metal

you probably just bought it

because thats what i used to think
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
I'm in a death metal band and play shows w/ the gain set to 10, gain boost, and volume boost, gear being an sg w/ emgs and a vader cab, and it sounds plenty heavy enough.

that being said though, it's not a 5150/6505. if you want that tone, then you need to pay for it.

i'm very happy with my valveking... it's my head of choice while saving up for a 6505