I'm a complete beginner to theory so I was thinking of getting The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory but wasn't sure if I should get that or another book. I went through a lot of reviews on amazon and most were good but then some were bad. I want a book that's for complete beginners that takes me through scales, circle of 5ths, chord construction, simple composition and that kind of stuff. Anyone know a good book?
My Gear:
ESP LTD F-50 Black Cherry Black Hardware
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to Join.
Get Fretboard Logic SE once you learn the basics like chords and barre chords and you begin working on scales. Trust me, you'll be glad you got this one.
Quote by CousticStrangla
Get Fretboard Logic SE once you learn the basics like chords and barre chords and you begin working on scales. Trust me, you'll be glad you got this one.

agreed
METAL
I have the book and only appreciated it after I started getting into playing piano. For a complete beginner it's useful, but translating all the information into working with it on guitar is a challenge because the book explains general theory that is non-specific to an instrument. I hear fret board logic is pretty good for music theory that is focused on guitar, but I've never personally read that one so can't say for sure, maybe someone on here can confirm/deny that about the book.
But for general ideas on how music comes together I'd recommend it as it's an easy read with lots of examples, pictures, and little exercises.

*edit* Looks like 2 people already confirmed it..
-mercalli
thank you.
My Gear:
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
I have that book and it's been pretty useful. If you're a beginner looking for some basic theory you should get it, its pretty easy to read and it will get you through chords, scales, chord constructions etc but yeah, as the guys who posted before me said, its not exactly guitar specific.
You should get it. I hear people here talk wonders of it if you are a beginner. It isn't to hard on the pockets either.
could use more opinions.
My Gear:
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon