ok ive looked at countless amps. but as soon as i find one that might be good for me i search it here and find out that its not good. im looking for a versitle amp that is good for blues, clean, and metal. i really liked the hughes & kettner switchblade amp but its so f***ing expensive. it seemed like the perfect amp for me cus it would elimanate all my pedals except my boss tuner pedal and my wah. so then i decided to check out a marshal avt but then people on here said that it wasnt worth the money and could get better for that price. so then i looked at line 6 spider 3 amp, but its too digital and fake. the new marshal jvm also looks like a good choice, but again too expensive. so any suggestions for a half stack in the 700$ range?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join
if you're game for digital modeling, line 6 makes killer stuff. i've pretty much stopped using tube amps anymore, and you can get any sound you want. i usually dial up a nice fender bassman '69 sound for blues tones, and go for the dual rectifier, soldano, or h&k tones for metal.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
lol. u got the wrong people recommending to u bro.

and listen to the ppl that recommends tube combos. cuz those are the BEST BET UNDER $700.
if ur ok to go used, go for a Used Peavey 5150, or a Used Marshall JCM900.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i wouldnt mind a digital sound so much, but it doesnt have that tube sound that i really like and am used to playing with, as for the mg ive always heard that the mg's are the marshalls you stay away from no matter what.

edit: my friends have told me that they dont like berhinger amps either becuase they arent very good, so im not sure abouth that. maybe if i get some more input on it
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join
Last edited by kh is my hero at Jul 10, 2007,
save your money. theres no point in getting something for that much money if you dont feel fully satisfied with it. save up so you can get what you really want so you dont have any regrets. and besides, it will end up being cheaper in the long run.
slats sig is right in this case.

you DONT NEED a halfstack.

go get a 30 watt full tube amp. if you want something that switches from cleans to metal then get a 2 or 3 channel maybe. best bet would be a jcm900 and use a channel switcher with a OD pedal to boost the gain channel maybe.
HIM % what you said is true, i considered doing that cus i really really like the hughes and kettner switch blade but the thing is that if i go for the switch blade, the cab is ganna cost me like 500 and by the time i have that money is ganna be in like 4 months or 5. also thats ganna be the same price as the guitar i want after my amp, a gibson les paul classic, so thats really ganna be a long time of saving. and by the time i can get the amp ill be driving so my pay checks during then are ganna go to my gas money

Edit: suckasucks, my old tube amp was a full tube 30 watt and i couldnt hear it over my drummer
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Quote by ECistheBest
lol. u got the wrong people recommending to u bro.

and listen to the ppl that recommends tube combos. cuz those are the BEST BET UNDER $700.
if ur ok to go used, go for a Used Peavey 5150, or a Used Marshall JCM900.

please read.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha yea ill check those out. i would deff go for a used 5150 and a new cab, that would work great for me actually. will the 5150 be able to get the variations of sounds i want with out pedals?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

i dont recommend them for sparkle cleans... but for mid~high gain sound, yes. it's a very versatile amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
an amp that does great clean, mild overdrive for blues, and nice heavy gain is nigh on impossible to find for under $700. if you really like a certain amp, save for it. if the switchblade is what you want, find a used one and spring for it. you dont need to drop $500 on a cab either. you can get a nice 2x12" for $200-300 which will be very good. you dont need a 4x12" or full stack to play in a band.

im no metal amp expert, but i can give you a few amps to try in your $700 range:
fender hot rod deluxe + od pedal (wont get anything high gain)
peavey classic 30 (will need an od pedal for metal)
epiphone palomino v30 (or v50) (probably need a pedal for metal)
traynor ycv40 (dunno if it can do metal, never played one)
ashdown fallen angel (again, ive never played one so im not sure what it is best for)

also if you cant hear your 30w tube amp over your drummer, either your amp has no speaker or your drummer is miced to a PA. 30w tube is LOUD, about as loud as 75w SS. either something was wrong with your amp, or it wasnt tube like you think it was.
Quote by kh is my hero
haha yea ill check those out. i would deff go for a used 5150 and a new cab, that would work great for me actually. will the 5150 be able to get the variations of sounds i want with out pedals?

You don't need a stack. A tube stack (head) will kill your ears if you turn it up all the way. Just buy a combo. 50/60 watts tube, it's as loud as 200 watts solid state, easily.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you couldnt hear yourself with 30 watts tube then your drummer must be using some metal sticks and REALLY banging the **** out of his kit.

Or maybe he's mic'd up or most likely you had a hybrid amp and you thought it was full tube.
With that amount of money i wouldnt be looking into stacks , i would be looking into some used tube combo's , like a 50watt combo's , then might get away with a nice amp.
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Just get the switchblade combo.

If you really want the metal route.... get a used jcm 800, I'd say.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
ive decided to get the switchbalde 100 head and some other cab, dont know which one yet. but i found a switchblade on ebay for dirt cheep, but the bid ends in 3 days and i dont have enough money for it yet. the one i found was selling for 490 and then there are others selling for 1,000 price range. im not familiar with ebay so do you guys think there will be another one in a good price range in the next month or two?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

yes, but you must be patient.

When buying amps on ebay, make sure of these things:
1. Return Policy states; if the description is false or if the product does not work, they will refund everything including shipping (shipping on a head will probably be $80 both ways)(most places will pay for shipping if the amp fails right away)
2. They have 100+ positive feedback, and no negative feedback (there are good people with low feedback trying to build it up, but with a amp or something of a very high price I would be very careful)
3. The best thing to do with ebay is buy from a store... iSoldit is a great place to get amps (on ebay), I know the guy that gets to test every one, what iSoldit does is buy new and used stuff off of people (and they buy pretty much everything, not just guitar stuff) make sure it works, fix what needs it and sells it, usually for much cheaper than regular resale.
what about if their feed back is in the 90's? are they reliable?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Quote by bob_sanchez69
try the marshall mg100hdfx head and a cab, thats is one of the only half stack around that price range. i have it and i enjoy it alot

No.
+1 on patience & saving for a good tube combo. Why pay several hundred $ only to feel that there was something better for you out there? You'll be disappointed within a week when the honeymoon is over.

The Traynor YVC40 is a great combo -- good cleans, blues & up to 80's metal tones. Would need a pedal for modern metal.

You couldn't go wrong with a Vox AC30, although they are a lot more $ than the Traynor (maybe 50% more).

I saved for a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, and am really happy with it -- it comes in a 5:25 or 5:50 version. It has awesome cleans, throaty blues, a cool crunch, and great high-gain lead tones. The best part is that you can run it at full power with your buddies, or flick a switch to run it at 5 watts in class A, which means you get awesome harmonic overdrive tones at relatively low volumes.