My got a B52 at112 and it pooped out on me and my warranty doesn't cover it. god damn them. anyway i called my repair guy and he said it's 65 an hour whether he can fix it or not. I have no idea my amp wont even turn on so i dont know if the guy can fix it but is it worth getting fixed? am i better off getting a new amp?
explain what's wrong with it, what happened etc.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If your amp won't turn on, it's probably the fuse.

Your amp is worth getting repaired, tube amps are generally easy to repair.

blown fuses look somewhat like this
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
yah i did check the fuses already and they are intact. So here's what went down. i was playing my amp, i turned it off. I put it on standby for like 30 seconds and then the off switch. The next day i come to play, i turn it on and it doesnt turn on. I ceck all the plugs and plug outlets and those do not seem to be the problem.
Are your tubes lighting up? do you smell any hint of smoke or burning?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

The exact same thing happened to me two times in a row with two different B52 112 60 watt combos. I bought one new. Had it about a month. Died. Took it back to Guitar Center. They gave me another one. Guess what. Died. Another two months the same thing happened. Took it back for exchange and this time I got a Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt combo. Have had it a year and put it through hell. Good sound, durable, only $429. I believe there is a design flaw in the B52 112 combo amps. I have been playing since 1969 and had all kinds of amps (many tube, some ss) and I have never had anything like this happen. I feel for you. I wish I had a solution for you, but all I can say is you are not alone. I'm sure there a few horror stories about Valvekings but I can only speak from my own experience.
Like someone else said it is probably easy to fix. I know it sucks to have to pay so much to get it worked on but you can't sell it if it isn't working.
^Geez, that's the worst way to go. It's probably a simple thing that can be fixed easily, no need to totally hate b-52. I don't like the peavey valvekings much, but I don't hate peavey. I once had a marshall jcm800 break down on me, do I absolutely hate marshall now? Nope.

It could have been a number of things, a power surge when you weren't aware, bad grounding, improper use of the standby switch. FYI, there are different recommendations for use of the standby switch, sometimes it's 30 seconds, sometimes it's a minute or two. With amps like the b-52's, which have a considerable amount of tubes, I wouldn't wait less than a minute to turn it on.

I mean, really, what did you expect when you got the cheapest, entry level tube amp from a company?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 10, 2007,
^I agree. Both the B52 and the VK are entry level tube amps. The quality will be spotty on both. Like I said there are some VK horror stories, too. Could be I just got two bad B52's and one good VK. I also prefer the sound and flexabiliy of the VK. Your amp is worth fixing. Fix it and see if it breaks again. If it breaks again you have a lemon. If it doesn't you have a decent tube amp. This said because of my individual experience I am against B52 112 combos. The 212 or the head may not have these issues.
Find a more reasonable amp tech. That guy just sounds like he's out to gouge for as much money as possible. The amp techs I've dealt with pay a standard fee (usually $20 - $30) for an inspection...it doesn't matter how long they look the amp over. Most of them don't mind if you're in the room with them while they do it. I learned a lot from watching a couple of local techs pull chassis on my Fender HRD. After inspection, they charge a standard fee for whatever the repair is. They've got their rates, but I've never had an amp tech tell me it would be a certain amount of money per hour if they fix it or not...they could charge you $500 and not even open the amp up.

Look around for a better deal. If you're in Houston, go see the guys at Parker Music.