i was thinking about this before: is it possible to write a song that is in neither a major or minor key? take for example the E minor scale (E F# G A B C D) and the E major scale (E F# G# A B C# D#). if a song was written using only the common notes between those two scales (E F# A B), would it even be in a major or minor key? I just had a thought that it would probably end up being major, but i am unsure.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
well, if you stayed on only the root and fifth, it would stay perfect
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
kirby shedding some light on your ass! but seriously. wouldn't it be one of those situations where if you take those notes, it just ends up relating to a different key altogether, like kirby said, making it a major or minor of a different key?
12 tone row. Atonal music. Arnold Schoenberg.

Google these terms.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
well actually those terms don't apply to what i was talking about. i was talking about using a set of 4 notes that are common between both the major and minor scales of a root note in a song.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
The notes E-F#-A-B would actually make a Esus2sus4 arpeggio (not a typo).
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
They have these all the time...they're called dominant, diminished, and half diminished.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by nightwind
12 tone row. Atonal music. Arnold Schoenberg.

Google these terms.

that would be chromatic
^ not necessarily. shawn lane does lots of atonal stuff but its definately NOT chromatic. personally a friend of mine said it best "it sounds like klingon war music dude" ..... but some people dig it
What I was thinking was you could write something in a key, let's say D Major. You could use all the notes from D Major, but when you write a melody, there's no focal point which would make it neither major nor minor.
Quote by Vittu0666
What I was thinking was you could write something in a key, let's say D Major. You could use all the notes from D Major, but when you write a melody, there's no focal point which would make it neither major nor minor.

well if you wrote it in d major it'd be in d major, regardless of any focal points. right?
I believe that, technically, the third is what makes something major or minor. So if you didn't use the major minor third, I think it would be ambiguous.
Quote by Spamwise
well if you wrote it in d major it'd be in d major, regardless of any focal points. right?

Well, what I meant was you could use the notes in D Major, but make sure that there is no tonal center.
Quote by Spamwise

It all depends what the chord sequences resolve to. It could be a modal tune like So What which uses the notes from Cmajor and Db major but the focal point is Dm7 and Ebm7 ie Dorian.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
yes, you can remove "focal points" or "resolution" points and it will sound atonal. basically a constant changing stream of notes that never resolves to any root location will give an atonal effect whether or not it's in a specific key. i've noticed that shawn lane will weave in and out of (not really out of but just go through) different keys at warp speeds, he will also use chords that are seemingly unrelated (really they are related, just often very odd and out there progressions)