i was just wondering..... does anyone out there know the specifics on acheivig that smooth vai tone??? (volume, eq, pedal settings etc.)
try your rhythm pickup and messing with it's tone control
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
^Good video.

And I doubt you'll get good tone unless you shell out thousands of dollars for amps and guitars and FX like him. If you needed one thing to help, Keeley DS-1.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The point of the video was to point out that tone begins in your head. If your approach to the instrument is all wrong, it doesn't matter what you throw between your hands and speakers, the tone will still sound horrible. I've learned that the hard way.

Get your brain to hand connection working first. Just sit down with your guitar unplugged and try to get the tone as close as possible just with your hands. Once you nail that, then it doesn't really matter what you plug into, you'll get your tone (disclaimer - Line6 Spiders and Marshall MGs may hinder your tonality). It took me a long time to understand that concept, but hours upon hours of playing my strat acoustically finally got me to that point.

Most people don't believe that, but I figured if you heard it from Vai that you'd probably try it.
Quote by TwoString
The point of the video was to point out that tone begins in your head. If your approach to the instrument is all wrong, it doesn't matter what you throw between your hands and speakers, the tone will still sound horrible. I've learned that the hard way.

Get your brain to hand connection working first. Just sit down with your guitar unplugged and try to get the tone as close as possible just with your hands. Once you nail that, then it doesn't really matter what you plug into, you'll get your tone (disclaimer - Line6 Spiders and Marshall MGs may hinder your tonality). It took me a long time to understand that concept, but hours upon hours of playing my strat acoustically finally got me to that point.

Most people don't believe that, but I figured if you heard it from Vai that you'd probably try it.

Amen bro,

Another one in that group of friends is Steve Lukather and he has said many many times it doesn't matter whose rig I play on or Eddie or Steve V. we all sound like ourselves. Said he and Eddie has switched rigs many times and they still sound like themselves. It is you as a player not the equipment you play on. I think if you put Vai on my rig he would sound awesome because he sounds like him.

Hope that makes sense.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by anonamooseguy
Amen bro,

Another one in that group of friends is Steve Lukather and he has said many many times it doesn't matter whose rig I play on or Eddie or Steve V. we all sound like ourselves. Said he and Eddie has switched rigs many times and they still sound like themselves. It is you as a player not the equipment you play on. I think if you put Vai on my rig he would sound awesome because he sounds like him.

Hope that makes sense.

Exactly, and you know what sucks about it? I just bought a Mesa Roadster and yes I like my tone better, but it still sounds like me. Even though I know better now, for some reason I thought there would be a huge difference. Although I'm happy with my tone, I'm understanding more and more that the real limiting factor is me, not my equipment. I'm making small improvements (new neck with a flatter radius and some new pickups and a full shielding job for my guitar for less noise), but overall my tone is the same. Which I like...fat neck strat tones with crunchy bridge pickup tones. I'm changing to a humbucker soon, but I can still play crunchy metal-ish stuff with the single coil in my strat.
I see what the vai tone video was about. i understand that attack, pick angle, and other things like that determine sound.......... style. i dont see eric johnson playing through ynwie's setup and sounding like eric johnson. thats not possible. dont get me wrong. its very informative on how to play perfectly all the time. but does anyone really know his rig setup?????
TONE FREAK!!!
There is a guy named bob bradshaw i think( to lazy to look it up) that builds alot of these guys racks. I think he does clapton, lukather, via, carlton, i think beck also. These ppl spend tons of money on that stuff and you will not duplicate it unless you do the same. That is why modeling amps are so popular because I can approach the sound of clapton then switch to ac/dc, etc. You just can't spend a 1000.00 and sound like any of these guys and that is not even getting into the talent they have in thier hands that 99% of us wish we had.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
i dont feel it necessary to spend 20,000$ to get this guy to build me steve's rig. i just want to know what his pedal settings and some amp settings are
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
i dont feel it necessary to spend 20,000$ to get this guy to build me steve's rig. i just want to know what his pedal settings and some amp settings are

You dont' even need to know that much. His amp, the Carvin Legacy is a fairly low gain amp. It has a medium overdrive at most. He uses modded Boss DS1 and Ibanez Tubescreamers to get a smooth gain. Reverb, chorus, and delay add to his tone to give it that ultra smooth, in a large empty room ultra smooth tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
okay thank you. you might just speak my language. :-) now, do you know what the mod on the ds is, and how is this smooth overdrive acheived?(settings)
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
okay thank you. you might just speak my language. :-) now, do you know what the mod on the ds is, and how is this smooth overdrive acheived?(settings)

You can get the basic effect with the pedals as they are, but Vai has the keeley modded ones.

What amp do you have? And what pedals do you own?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
yep. keeley mod. google it, u'd hit a site with the mod.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i have the newer marshall solid state mg100 head with a celestion greenback loaded cab. an ibanez s520ex which is about to have evo2 and evo neck set put in. my pedal board is cry baby, wylde overdrive, ds2 distortion, evh phaser, homemade chorus from a boss and danelectro pedal, and an mxr smart gate
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
i have the newer marshall solid state mg100 head with a celestion greenback loaded cab. an ibanez s520ex which is about to have evo2 and evo neck set put in. my pedal board is cry baby, wylde overdrive, ds2 distortion, evh phaser, homemade chorus from a boss and danelectro pedal, and an mxr smart gate

Sounds like all you need is a new head.

For Vai's tone in For the Love of God, You're going to want a lot of chorus, cut the amp gain down a little ways, but cut the wylde overdrive up, and on the DS-2 distortion, try the output really high with the gain at almost 0. You're not going to want the smart gate up very high either, it will cut the sustain down really low which takes away from the smoothness of the song.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I know, i know no tubes. but the frequency dependence dampening effect actually accurately recreates a great tube sound. i had a jcm but this one took its place. Trust me its that good. well actually i plan to upgrade to the new jvm thats taking the dsl's place. thats a really awesome amp.
TONE FREAK!!!
that shows that u never played a tube amp. i have an MG. with FDD. it sucks Ass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MESAexplorer
Sounds like all you need is a new head.

For Vai's tone in For the Love of God, You're going to want a lot of chorus, cut the amp gain down a little ways, but cut the wylde overdrive up, and on the DS-2 distortion, try the output really high with the gain at almost 0. You're not going to want the smart gate up very high either, it will cut the sustain down really low which takes away from the smoothness of the song.

gah, you really do speak my language. Gain at near 0??? what is the purpose?
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by ECistheBest
that shows that u never played a tube amp. i have an MG. with FDD. it sucks Ass.

it might not be for you. and YES i have played all tube. (jcm, dsl, b-52, krankenstein...) this amp fit my budget and i believe it sounds pretty good. but as i said. i WAS on a budget. i have the ability to get my choice of amps.
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by ECistheBest
^to use as a booster

and slight grit.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
and slight grit.

yes indeed. just like i use my tubescreamer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^to use as a booster

......damn.....do i ever feel stupid. you seem to know what you're talking about. i like that in a player. whats you're current rig?
TONE FREAK!!!
lol um. partially in my sig, have a BBE sonic stomp, an MXR 6-band EQ, and a Marshall Guv'nor that i dont use. i'm getting my attenuator soon, it's being shipped from weber. i'm gonna build a rangemaster, and... currently modding the crap out of my wah.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh wow, modding the wah. iv wanted to learn of that for the longest. would you mind informing me on how and why?
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
......damn.....do i ever feel stupid. you seem to know what you're talking about. i like that in a player. whats you're current rig?

Carvin DC-747
Gibson Explorer Studio

Korg Toneworks 3000G (overdrive, wah, phaser, chorus)

Mesa Boogie F-100
B-52 LG4x12 cabinet
Steve Vai Legacy 2x12 cabinet (friday is the date of arrival)

As far as playing wise, I never use the clean channel, I just cut my guitar volume knob down to about 2. Its easier than trying to step on 2 different switches at once and it gives me a dryer thinner clean tone, which is how I like my metal cleans. Its a trick Adam Jones from Tool uses.

For blues and more acoustic stuff though, I'll actually use the clean channel with a hint of chorus. The reverb on my Mesa is broke, and the Korg's reverb sucks.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
um. there's a wah modding thread in gear building and customizing. it's kinda hard to follow 80 pages of half spam lol. i mod because......... the stock sucks? and its fun... and im bored.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm
for dunlop crybaby original.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MESAexplorer
Carvin DC-747
Gibson Explorer Studio

Korg Toneworks 3000G (overdrive, wah, phaser, chorus)

Mesa Boogie F-100
B-52 LG4x12 cabinet
Steve Vai Legacy 2x12 cabinet (friday is the date of arrival)

how versitile is the legacy?? will it suffice when you wanna break out some real metal? iv heard some bad things. lots of good... but some bad
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
how versitile is the legacy?? will it suffice when you wanna break out some real metal? iv heard some bad things. lots of good... but some bad

Its just the cabinet. Its V-30 loaded. Its a great cab. I plan on sealing it though, I'm not a fan of open back cabinets.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
oh. okay then. maybe you can help me. i have a problem in my rythm to lead playing. iv always been the lead in bands. my three previous bands have had a rythm player to come up with Most of our rythm tracks. now im in a band with only one player.... me. i have promised a guitar rythm and lead track for my instrumental on this album. i want a progression that will sound vai-ish :-) behind a shreddy virtuoso lead. any advice??
TONE FREAK!!!
Quote by tonefreak5
oh. okay then. maybe you can help me. i have a problem in my rythm to lead playing. iv always been the lead in bands. my three previous bands have had a rythm player to come up with Most of our rythm tracks. now im in a band with only one player.... me. i have promised a guitar rythm and lead track for my instrumental on this album. i want a progression that will sound vai-ish :-) behind a shreddy virtuoso lead. any advice??

Via plays modes quite often, very much so with the Mixolydian. He does a lot of trem wanking though.

www.guitarshredshow.com is a good way to learn chops. Mr. Fastfinger is steve vai, so you're getting the real deal.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
no way!!! ha ha ha. iv been there before. iv studied modes quite a lot. i have a great understanding of them. i was just wondering about a rythm progression to do them over. possibly in E or E minor tonality
TONE FREAK!!!
haha at the youtube video. "you sound like a electric ham sandwhich" xD thats true Frank Zappa.

I think that everything from your fingers to your setup determines the tone. Its really a combination of everything. The good thing about guitar is that there is more than just playing, theres personalization.
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
Quote by ECistheBest
^to use as a booster

Unfortunately that ain't gonna work on the MG, you can only use the boosting trick on tube amps. If you try it on a solid state amp you just get a crapload of noise and uncotrollable feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com