Hey guys!
I just bought myself a 1960's reissue Fender Jazz Bass and I gotta say I love it to DEATH! It's my first bass and I have a feeling it will be my last. I love it! I've been a guitar player for about 5 years now so I''ve got the handle on the whole guitar thing. I have many pedals and things to play around with. But heres my question: I have several distortion pedals but they are all for guitar. When I plug them into my bass/amp the tone is very quiet. Even at Max volume/ distortion on the pedal it very quiet and sounds like crap! Why is that? Is it worth going out and buying a bass distortion pedal, or are there some tips/tricks to making a guitar distortion pedal to sounds good? My goal is to play Around the World by RHCP. I can play it but i don't do it justice just yet. Any suggestions on how to get that kind of tone?
Thanks for all your help people!
My Gear:
-1984 Fender Stratocaster
-Epiphone Les Paul <- The Worlds Nicest
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Well, yeah, a bass through just about any guitar pedal is going to suck, because they're not designed to accomodate such low end...so definately consider buying a bass specific distortion pedal.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Just buy a Boss ODB3 bass pedal. I use mine sparingly but it works great for the little I need it for.

Im pretty sure it is the standard for bass overdrive from what Ive seen; so I doubt you'll have a hard time getting to tone you're looking to achieve.
Flea used a Boss ODB-3 for Around the World I believe.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
my mate has an ODB3 pedal he said its an amazing little pedal and i intend to buy one at somepoint so i can get some cool distortion effects from my baby. guitar pedals wont sound any good at all on a bass so you really oughta go out and buy bass specific pedals. ive tried my mates guitar pedals on my bass and all it did was make the sound quieter and really fuzzy, not really a desireable effect really!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
dammit, ur in Essex, that's not good to me
I wouldn't be thefitz if I didn't recommend a Fulltone Bass Drive. They're expensive ($250 at LA Music in Mississauga), but they are handmade and are totally worth it, especially on such a nice MIJ axe. But they key is to get a BASS distortion, and no, a Big Muff Pi is not a bass distortion, even though a good quarter of the UG'ers on this forum use it! Anyway, there are plenty of good bass distortion pedals out there, and all their sound clips can be heard here:

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=16548
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I wouldn't be thefitz if I didn't recommend a Fulltone Bass Drive. They're expensive ($250 at LA Music in Mississauga), but they are handmade and are totally worth it, especially on such a nice MIJ axe. But they key is to get a BASS distortion, and no, a Big Muff Pi is not a bass distortion, even though a good quarter of the UG'ers on this forum use it! Anyway, there are plenty of good bass distortion pedals out there, and all their sound clips can be heard here:

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=16548

Sweeet!
Thanks Guy!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by Nutter_101
Flea used a Boss ODB-3 for Around the World I believe.

Oh man! In that case... I know what I'm running out to buy! lol i know I'm a loser.. but Fleas the only real inspiration I got to play bass! See him live really did a number on me!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
i just bought a new head and cab today... the head is a backline 600 and the cab is a gk gold series 4X10... the distortion was amazing... i never liked bass distortion before this amp but this amp sounded just like around the world (it was the first bass distorted song i could think of)
Quote by Biehayn
i just bought a new head and cab today... the head is a backline 600 and the cab is a gk gold series 4X10... the distortion was amazing... i never liked bass distortion before this amp but this amp sounded just like around the world (it was the first bass distorted song i could think of)

If you like that distortion, Gallien Krueger makes a pedal called the Diesel Dawg which is the same distortion that GK uses in their heads.

Quote by FbSa
cough big muff cough cough

Don't do it... you'll break my heart.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The EBS Valvedrive sounds good, from the sound clips I've heard that is, as well as the Galien-Krueger Diesel Dawg. I've heard nothing but good reviews about both so you might want to check into those two.

However if anyone has any negative input about either then that is much appreciated as I would like to know myself.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
The EBS Valvedrive sounds good, from the sound clips I've heard that is, as well as the Galien-Krueger Diesel Dawg. I've heard nothing but good reviews about both so you might want to check into those two.

However if anyone has any negative input about either then that is much appreciated as I would like to know myself.

I personally wouldn't mind a Diesel Dawg to round out my distortion tone, but I did hear that the ValveDrive was indeed a great pedal, but it was a bit excessive. It's huge, requires to be plugged into the wall, the orange light is from a bulb and not the tube, and is pricey, considering the valve doesn't affect the tone as much as one would think. But if you're willing to put up with those minor problems, it's a great piece.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I personally wouldn't mind a Diesel Dawg to round out my distortion tone, but I did hear that the ValveDrive was indeed a great pedal, but it was a bit excessive. It's huge, requires to be plugged into the wall, the orange light is from a bulb and not the tube, and is pricey, considering the valve doesn't affect the tone as much as one would think. But if you're willing to put up with those minor problems, it's a great piece.

I would really like to try both out. However I'm having a hell of a time trying to find them locally. Pedal companies don't let you have free trials of their products do they?

EDIT: thanks for the info though

Things to come:
Quote by Funkbass796
I would really like to try both out. However I'm having a hell of a time trying to find them locally. Pedal companies don't let you have free trials of their products do they?

EDIT: thanks for the info though

No, no they don't, but check out the sound clips for a good indication of the general tone. Granted, pedals 'feel' different in the room.

Quote by Advilmonkeyman
Oh man! In that case... I know what I'm running out to buy! lol i know I'm a loser.. but Fleas the only real inspiration I got to play bass! See him live really did a number on me!

I know it's tempting, but do your best not to fall into that mode of thinking. Just because a pedal is used by a famous artist you love doesn't mean you should immediately go out and buy it (read: Cliff and his Big Muff). Try out all sorts of items, listen to all the sound clips, and be a good player. Don't do it just because Flea did it. Chances are, the best you'll ever make it sound is just as good as his is, and that's been done already.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
No, no they don't, but check out the sound clips for a good indication of the general tone. Granted, pedals 'feel' different in the room.

Yeah, I really like the soundclips i've heard of both, though I'm still trying to find some where the extremes of the pedal are explored so I can find out how much i'll be able to shape the distortion. Thus my quest continues.

Quote by thefitz
I know it's tempting, but do your best not to fall into that mode of thinking. Just because a pedal is used by a famous artist you love doesn't mean you should immediately go out and buy it (read: Cliff and his Big Muff). Try out all sorts of items, listen to all the sound clips, and be a good player. Don't do it just because Flea did it. Chances are, the best you'll ever make it sound is just as good as his is, and that's been done already.

Not to mention his gear and playing add alot to his tone aswell. To be honest you won't ever sound like flea unless you become him and own all of his gear. Don't aspire to have someone else's tone. Instead, seek to create or find your own.

Things to come:
Big muffs are the best distortion.
Cliif from mettalica used one, i dont even like metalica but i love Cliff!!
Quote by tomwm1
Big muffs are the best distortion.
Cliif from mettalica used one, i dont even like metalica but i love Cliff!!

ha ha you sound like someone from total guitar magazine, they bum metallica so much but yeah, the big muff is my fave.
I has muff

*Ahem* To be honest, if you're going to be a bassist, and filling out the bottom end of your band, you wanna keep as much bottom end when you are using distortion.

So you wanna use a bass distortion, to keep a lot of low end.

Or maybe you don't wanna be a bassist.... Hmmmm?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Jul 11, 2007,
Quote by mhylands
Well, yeah, a bass through just about any guitar pedal is going to suck, because they're not designed to accomodate such low end...so definately consider buying a bass specific distortion pedal.

I would have to disagree with that, I run my bass through a marshall Guv'nor and it has a nice gritty tone to it.

Edit: and I don't notice any hindering of my low end. Lots of people are so concerned with their low end, but if you have too much low end, it just sounds like a subwoofer to me, no defenition and no tone at all.
Last edited by SWiB at Jul 11, 2007,
Quote by Nutter_101
I has muff

*Ahem* To be honest, if you're going to be a bassist, and filling out the bottom end of your band, you wanna keep as much bottom end when you are using distortion.

So you wanna use a bass distortion, to keep a lot of low end.

Or maybe you don't wanna be a bassist.... Hmmmm?

I don't like playing bass, just 4-stringed heavily detuned guitars.

EDIT: so my post isn't spam, stay away from the big muff.

EDIT2: just because your favorite player 'uses' (endorses) it doesn't mean it's what they use for their sound.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
well, I use a big muff for bass fuzz, but i am wanting the boss overdrive aswell, so i can have something with more crunch, and that doesnt turn the sound into mush.
Quote by SWiB
I would have to disagree with that, I run my bass through a marshall Guv'nor and it has a nice gritty tone to it.

Edit: and I don't notice any hindering of my low end. Lots of people are so concerned with their low end, but if you have too much low end, it just sounds like a subwoofer to me, no defenition and no tone at all.

Is it the Guv'Nor 2 or whatever, or the original Guv'Nor? Do you have any soundclips of you playing with it? I'm very intrigued
Quote by Charlatan_001
Is it the Guv'Nor 2 or whatever, or the original Guv'Nor? Do you have any soundclips of you playing with it? I'm very intrigued

Guv'Nor 2, but I don't have anything to record with. Sorry

EDIT: Give your local guitar center emploies something to do and ask them to move a bass amp up to a Guv'Nor and try it out.
Last edited by SWiB at Jul 11, 2007,