This is such a black or white issue, I really have no idea what to think. I was interested in getting one, for sure. I was looking at the MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ.

Some people swear by them. Say that they're definitely the way to go if you want to get any classic guitar hero tones, or if you want to fine tweak the "perfect" tone for you.

Other people tell me that it's basically a waste of money. That it's not going to do much to alter your tone, or that you're just going to be stuck tweaking ten knobs endlessly instead of three.

I know that I can't expect more than what my amp can already offer, and that it's just going to boost or cut whatever frequencies I already have, not really improve upon the sound or physically change it. It's just that I think some fine tuning might be in order. It seems to me that if I wanted to get closer to Slash's tone, for instance, this would be a good start. I have a Les Paul and a Fender Supersonic tube amp, although I feel like the three knobs don't offer me enough "fine tuning" to get the tone I'm after.

An EQ pedal seems almost like a last ditch effort, I suppose. I'm willing to put in the work to find a good tone for myself and for others, and in fact I was hoping that I'd find more than just one good tone. I was hoping I'd come across many that I could write down and refer to.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I like my tone right now, and I can play for hours without getting sick of it. It's just lacking a little to me. I was wondering if people with more experience could using these could help to convince me one way or the other. If I can't expect an EQ pedal to do what I want it to, then there's not much point in dropping that kind of coin on one. However, if a lot of the good things I've heard about it are true, I figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
i have a 6-band MXR. it's kinda in my box right now... but it's ok. it adds hum when i try to boost it... so i try to keep it under the 0dB.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well the slash tone may only be in the holy jcm 800 head, but its worth a shot
if you keep the pedal in good condition and things dont work out, you can sell it on craigslist for 10-20 bucks less than you paid
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Even if you don't use it to boost your whole tone maybe you could kick it on to differentiate between rhythm and lead tones if you wanted more treble, less bass, or whatever.
Hey, I never thought of that. I take good care of all my gear, and I guess after a while if I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth or I find that it's not really my thing, I can sell it with a minimal loss. Thanks for reminding me, that alone makes it seem easily worth the potential risk.

Even if you don't use it to boost your whole tone maybe you could kick it on to differentiate between rhythm and lead tones if you wanted more treble, less bass, or whatever.

Excellent. I was actually thinking about this, although I wasn't sure how it would work out. Very rarely do I stumble across a tone that sounds great for both rhythm and lead. Usually it's one or the other, so it would be great to have a nice, crunchy tone for rhythm, and then a boosted sound to really cut through the mix during a solo.

Another quick question. Do you just set the EQ on your amp how you like it normally, and then tweak it from there?
yeah. but imo an eq isnt really worth it, i'd rather set a nice rhythm tone on my amp, then throw in an OD for more gain and tone shaping for leads.
Quote by suckasucks
yeah. but imo an eq isnt really worth it, i'd rather set a nice rhythm tone on my amp, then throw in an OD for more gain and tone shaping for leads.

Hahahah where do you think the tone shaping comes from? EQ'ing!
Think about it man, you're looking for something to shape your tone a little better, give you a little of what's missing in your tone, and you don't want to fork out too much money. Basically your only bet is an EQ pedal, especially if your amp has an effects loop. It's basically a tone sculpting tool, perfect for adding and cutting frequencies that you want in your tone. A really good use for an EQ pedal would be to EQ your amps settings as your rhythm tone, and then have your EQ pedal set to your lead tone with a volume and gain boost for added sustain, so you can be playing a song with a nice basic rhythm tone(or whatever tone you want to EQ on your amp) and then step on your EQ for your soloboost/lead tone.

The way I look at it, you're basically buying an EXTRA channel for your amp, and as a guitarist, I'm pretty sure you want to do whatever you can for your tone, so how could you really lose out here? I say throw out the 150$ for a nice EQ, if it's not working for you then sell it for 20$ less or so.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
imo, eqs are great for fine tuning your setup. and i mean fine fine fine, minimal eq differences. and, as hollow said, it's great if you have an amp that has one eq for several channels, or if it's just a one channel amp. all that being said...i really only use one to shape my tone a bit differently and get me to 11 for solos.
yeah tone shaping come from EQ. but IMO a dedicated EQ unit is redundant. other gain pedals change and shape your tone too, some even with the ability to control them. take the tubescreamer or OCD for eg. those with active tone stacks would be like the NOC3 pure drive, some MI audio pedals too.
as said many times a EQ is used for fine tuning, once I get a new amp I will be getting the MXR 10 band KFK... My buddy has one and it is great, when he got it he set his tone on his amp how he likes it, then tweeked it with his EQ, got a much better sound... the thing is great for getting other artist tones too, you can usually get a approximate "Guitar Hero's" tone from the amp, then use the eq to get it perfect, it takes a while to properly tweak it, but it is well worth it IMO.