ok so basic example- playing a solo in A minor and im using the pentatonic minor scale and i play a C on 8th fret E string can i use the notes i use with this note to play 4ths and 5ths in my solo?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Hang on... you're asking if its "ok" to play 4ths and 5ths on the 3rd of the minor pentatonic? If so, then, yes, because the 4th and 5th of the 3rd are just the 6th and 7th degrees of the natural minor scale.
In general, yes, you can use any note over any scale in the right context. Use your ears, and if it sounds good, chances are there's a technical term for whatever you're doing.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
relative major and minor, the relative minor of a major scale starts on the 6th step of the major scale while the relative major of a minor scale starts on the third step of that minor scale
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by The National D
if it sounds good, chances are there's a technical term for whatever you're doing.

There's a technical term for everything, even things that sound 'bad.' Theory tells you to sound consonant, dissonant, however you want.

Using notes outside a scale is always OK, you'll have to use your ear to decide which ones to use. I'm not sure I understand the specifics of the question though.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by davo_333
ok so basic example- playing a solo in A minor and im using the pentatonic minor scale and i play a C on 8th fret E string can i use the notes i use with this note to play 4ths and 5ths in my solo?
If it wasn't OK you'd never see sharps, flats and naturals (accidentals) other than the key signature, I know there are other less common instances but I'm just giving a basic idea.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn