I was listening to Talk Dirty To Me (Poison), and noticed that the second part of the chorus's guitar sounded weird. After looking up many tabs and playing, I come to the conclusion that it really is C D F# G. This is odd to me, because I can't seem to find those notes in a C scale. Is this a weird scale, or does it just so happen to sound cool, and doesn't fit into a scale?

Thanks,

Pardin my ignorance as well if the answer is right infront of my face
Quote by lcphr3ak
I was listening to Talk Dirty To Me (Poison), and noticed that the second part of the chorus's guitar sounded weird. After looking up many tabs and playing, I come to the conclusion that it really is C D F# G. This is odd to me, because I can't seem to find those notes in a C scale. Is this a weird scale, or does it just so happen to sound cool, and doesn't fit into a scale?

Thanks,

Pardin my ignorance as well if the answer is right infront of my face

Just going by what you said I'd say C lydian as F# is the #4.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by ZootCst
The F# is only a passing tone to G. It's all in G. F# is the maj 7th.

Ah, assumed it was established it was in C. Pretty standard indeed.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Just going by what you said I'd say C lydian as F# is the #4.

I looked it up and you're right, it is lydian! Thanks, it was driving me nuts

Quote by ZootCst
The F# is only a passing tone to G. It's all in G. F# is the maj 7th.

So you're saying that it's in a G harmonic minor? I thought the scale started on the first note though
Quote by lcphr3ak
So you're saying that it's in a G harmonic minor? I thought the scale started on the first note though

Not G harmonic minor... It could just be in G major / E minor.

G major = G A B C D E F# G
E minor = E F# G A B C D E

And a scale can start on any note of the scale. A scale is just a collection of notes, nothing is said about how to play them.

Click.
^what Resiliance said.

Edit: What the heck, I'm feeling generous. The chords for the second half of the chorus go to an E (the vi chord) then an A (a II chord used as a secondary dominant) which leads to a D (the V chord). The secondary dominant is probably what's throwing you off, it's the V of V. Amaj isn't diatonic in the key of G, but it's a cool sounding little modulation to get back to G.

The scales he uses in the solo are G major, Cm pentatonic, Dmaj (G mixolidian), and Gmaj pentatonic.
Last edited by ZootCst at Jul 10, 2007,