Page 1 of 2
Ok this is my first thread Ever (OMG) in UG. I've posted a bit and been following for some time.

Onto what i want. in a little while i will have around $1700 AUD and I'm looking at buying something good. Now i have a decent guitar and a decent amp crappy EFX pedal and a Boss MT-2. I want to get one of the new V-500 ESP's but I'm afraid I'll need to replace my amp with it hence costing more money.

For reference my amp is a Storm ST-30R and my guitar is a Cort Zenox Z-42.

What should i buy, new guitar or amp? I know that amp would be better but my guitar is getting old-ish and the bridge was set wrong and has slightly off intonation on the high-e and cant be adjusted enough.

If the answer would be new amp: What amp? I don't need anything big as I'm mostly a bedroom player with the occasional jam with friends and i wont be spending all that money on just the amp. Most i'll spend on an amp would be around 700 tops.

If its a guitar (Please :p: Most likely be the ESP V-500 but maybe with different pick-ups. EMG's are good but i don't feel comfortable with them completely. I would change them to Dave's livewires, EMG HZ set or Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, SH-2N.

If i get the guitar I'll save for an amp straight after but if i get the amp first then I'll be saving for the guitar straight after, its just a matter of what first.

Now, help me choose!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
amp>guitar

get a new amp first, definitely.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
amp>guitar

get a new amp first, definitely.

+1 Just go to a few music stores and try a ton of amps in your price range, thats the best way.
Fair enough, I play metal by the way.

Any recommendations on amps around my price range?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Well, I play metal and I recently bought a Randall RG75. It kicks ass and I got it for 40% off. If you live in Melbourne, it was at Cranbourne Music in the city. I dunno if the sale is still on but anyway it was $420 AU when it was 40% off you can do the maths. And for a guitar you will still have heaps of money left. You could buy a Jackson dinky with EMG's or something kickass like that. ULTIMATE METAL-NESS....
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
YES I JUST FOUND OUT THE SALE IS STILL ON BY THE WAY! also they have the Randall RG75 with built in effects for 529 bux. If you don't live in melb, they have a delivery thing. You can buy online. Im unsure if they have cranbourne music interstate. But it's a kickass deal, especially for us metalheads.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
I live midland NSW and it'll be a few months before il get any kind of real cash.

Is it possible to get any mesa-boogie amps cheep? I cant find any Australian prices and really hav'nt tried looking at prices in different nations (To lazy to convert the money differences.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Yeah i know that site and they tend to be very overpriced.

Still looking for amp recommendations :P

EDIT: Looking at Randall amps. The RG75 G3 series or a Randall RX120 DFX Stack (For $1,129.00)

Im not too keen on the stack though because it may be too much for my needs, the 75 G3 is $759.00. There is a RG75 for $499.00 that i can order aswell.

EDIT: Orange amp? Sure.. wait... NO!

Still looking, Randall RG200 G3 series combo $1,079.00 seems ok but then there is the fact this it would be too much and i could get a stack for a little bit more. THeres also a 100watt G3 for $849.00
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Jul 10, 2007,
Randall RG200 head and 412XC Cabinet for $1,299.00. Looks good aswell. I figure if im going to buy an amp may as well make it great right? Then again there is the fact that i will almost never use it to its full potential.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
hm... peavey 6505?
Maybe you can find a used one... or maybe a 5150? Machine Head, In Flames and Ektomorf use them for example... and Van Halen of course. xD
Quote by .arkness:.
Randall RG200 head and 412XC Cabinet for $1,299.00. Looks good aswell. I figure if im going to buy an amp may as well make it great right? Then again there is the fact that i will almost never use it to its full potential.

Rg50TC > RG200
RG50 is probably just as loud, not that youll need it that loud anyway. Same price but a combo, so easier to carry around and stuff and the RG50 sounds better IMO
Peavey 6505 / 5150
Hmm, I'm more of a thrash lover (Megadeth FTW!) Would that amp cut it? say scoop out the mid and hope for the best? Or leave the tones neutral and run it through my MT-2 (Which i currently have set at a killer thrash tone mind you). Plus thats pretty expensive for only a head so I'm not sure i could afford it.

Randall:
Could i get a link to an RG50? All i can find is RG75. The RG200 is a nice stacker where as im assuming the RG50 isnt.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Jul 10, 2007,
unless u buy online "USUALLY" u wont find a decent tube amp for under a grand in australia
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
good choice, randall tend to kick massive ass.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:

Quote by Ajax413
hmm ok i have a choice between the RG200 G3 or a RG200 Head with Cab.

Both are around the same price range except one is a half stack. My better judgment says go with the G3 as it will be smaller but then again theres a half-stack in the equation. help?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
"I don't need anything big as I'm mostly a bedroom player with the occasional jam with friends and i wont be spending all that money on just the amp. Most i'll spend on an amp would be around 700 tops."

what happened to that?? you obviously dont need a stack , not many people do , but if your set on one check out a peavey windsor, you will just have boost it with an OD to get the metal tone you want, depends where you live you should be able to find one used , and if you have $1700, you can get one new from www.guitar.com.au
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I started to look at that stack a bit more as i have been seeing some ify review about the G3 model. I wont have a problem boosting any OD as i have a metal zone pedal.

I've also been hearing great review about that stack so thats another reason why im leaning towards it.

The Windsor will cost me around 1600 as well. i dont want to spend that much on one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
hmm ok i have a choice between the RG200 G3 or a RG200 Head with Cab.

Both are around the same price range except one is a half stack. My better judgment says go with the G3 as it will be smaller but then again theres a half-stack in the equation. help?

Those randalls are quite horrible. I played one side by side a Crate Flexwave and the crate impressed me much more.

You might want to ebay for a Line 6 Flextone II head and extension cabinet. Used 5150 combos are good deals as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Try them both out first. Do NOT go on reviews, price, effects, anything like that. Because it's all crap if you don't like. And don't feel like you have to like them either.
Quote by metalface211
Well, I play metal and I recently bought a Randall RG75. It kicks ass and I got it for 40% off. If you live in Melbourne, it was at Cranbourne Music in the city. I dunno if the sale is still on but anyway it was $420 AU when it was 40% off you can do the maths. And for a guitar you will still have heaps of money left. You could buy a Jackson dinky with EMG's or something kickass like that. ULTIMATE METAL-NESS....

how do i get here? is it near allans by any chance?
Sigs are too hard to think up
Threadstarter - For thrash metal on your budget I would recommend looking at a Marshall DSL or TSL combo. They will be PLENTY loud for anything you ever want to use it for and you can find them all the time on eBay going pretty cheap.

It will be about 5x better than the Randalls you're looking at.

At that price range you should be looking at tube amps, not a solid state half-stack.

Maybe even a Orange Tiny Terror with a bit of boosting should be able to get great thrash tones and will come in at your budget.
Your recommending an orange?

To be quite honest i don't wanna go near ebay as shipping would be expensive and i live in the middle of nowhere so i cant get local pick-up's either (Unless im really, really lucky). Il be going to look at amps tomorrow and try some out. Il post up tomorrow if i find anything i like.

It'll still be a little while before i can buy one though.

Just looked at TSL And DSL combo's. they are hard to find online so far. Maybe il luck out and find one in the shops tomorrow? How are the Marshall AVTX's? not to sure about them.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Jul 11, 2007,
AVT are crappy hybrid amps. Not worth wasting your money on.

I guess the DSL or TSL combo will be your best bet. Maybe even one of the new Crate Vseries tube combos might be able to d thrash kinda tones.

$700 - 1000 is a crappy price range for amps. You're only going to get a mid-range amp new.

I think you'd be better off spending all your money on a good tube amp to get the sound you want, then you'll never have to worry about upgrading your amp again.
Beer and hookers ?
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Il see what i can do money wise. it'll all be on what i can get loacally, i probably couldnt afford shipping on a big amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
half stack is unnecesary for bedroom practice...

if you have to jam or something the combo will cut it and it'll be easier to move...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Ok all today i went looking at amps and yes there tone was better then my amp but today when i got back i was expecting that after hearing all those expensive amps that my amp would now sound crap to my ear - and it didn't. my amp still sounds pleasing to my ear and as a matter of fact i love its tone that i have set it at.

I have come to the conclusion that i don't need a new amp before a guitar despite all of your advice. now even though all of you are probably thinking 'Hes a fool' please i still need your help in selecting one of these guitars.

ESP LTD V-500

ESP LTD - Axxion

ESP LTD AX-400

ESP LTD DV8

They all come with pretty much the same specs except the V-500 and AX have EMG 81's and the DV8 and Axxion have Dave Livewires.

I need help selecting one of these beauties.

I like the ax because it looks original and i love the tribal inlays. the shape reminds me of a warlock style which isnt really a good thing although i still like the look somewhat. Another plus is it would be easy to play sitting down.

The V-500 i like because its a new model from this year, the V shape is kick ass, has EMG81's and holds a big resemblance to Dave's DV8 but it wont be his (Good-ish thing). Bad part is its a V so it will take getting used to playing it sitting down (Its a V after all).

the Axxion i love because of the Dave Livewire pick-ups and completely original design. but thats a double edged sword, looks good but then again looks ify as well. I can live with it though as its not much of a big deal as i like the look to a degree.. hard to explain really. Another good thing is that you can sit down while playing it comfortably.

Now onto the DV-8. love it because its my idol's signature guitar (Kind of) DM Livewires are a plus and the a V shape (My favorite of all shapes lol). Problems are i don't completely want to be associated with a signature guitar. For some reason it doesn't strike me as original enough. Again not much of a big deal as i like being able to gloat that i have the same guitar as Dave (Kind of). Again only downside is its un-comfortable-ness sitting down.

Thats what i think of all those guitars. my favorite being the... hell i don't have a favorite really. Least favorite at this time would be the Ax-400. Could i get any help regarding my choice? I'm pretty set on these guitars, only other guitar that i would choose would be a Jackson King V but id rather active pick-ups and i don't think King v's come with them. I would rather Live Wire Pickups other than the EMG's aswell. That makes all the guitars come out pretty even.

Help, Advise, Review sites, Experience ect ect would be helpful!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i know how to play standing but still, its good to be able to sit and play, i dont want t i have to stand and play forever ya know?

by the way i love the V-500 as well, only thing i really dislike is the EMG81's as they don't offer much versatility.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Try them both out first. Do NOT go on reviews, price, effects, anything like that. Because it's all crap if you don't like. And don't feel like you have to like them either.

Agree, I love my Marshall MG and everyone say's they are crap, but as long as you like your amp you should be fine.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
I can get a good deal on a V-500. $1599 including shipping to my area. Or $2045 for the V-500 with Dave Mustaine Livewires and a V hardcase.

Im going to go with the V-500 with the DM Livewires and the case. What y'all think?

[EDIT]: hold everything! i can get the Dean VMNT1 for $2099! yes im pushing my budget more and mroe but who cares? i can get a dean VMNT1!!

Now its a toss up between the V-500 with DM Live wires and hard case or a Dean VMNT1 including shipping.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Jul 12, 2007,
Update: I can either get the V-500 equipped with Dave Mustaine Livewires and a hard case for $2049 or the Dean VMNT1 with a hard case for $2099 0r $2199 (Unsure as the shop hasn't gotten back to me yet)

What would be better off? the V-500 or the VMNT?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Neither. I've never been impressed with ESP LTD (ESP's non-custom shop) or dean. But if you really like the feel and tone, go for it.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Anyone else want to add their two cents on these two guitars or shall i just forget about this thread?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Page 1 of 2