Page 1 of 5
Vicious Sid
seriously?
30 IQ
Got Sweden, sorta liked it. Seemed kinda homogenous for 19 songs, and not "flowing continuity" homogenous, more "monstrous blob" homogenous. But it had its high points, and those alone are enough to make me look more into him.

So tell me some good stuff to check out.
-Landon
Last edited by Vicious Sid at Jul 10, 2007,
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
80 IQ
Although I love their older lo-fi stuff, I actually prefer their newer, cleaner music. Check out Tallahesse and The Sunset Tree. If you're looking for individual songs, check out 'This Year', 'Lion's teeth', 'No Children' and 'Tallahesse.'
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
no, get lonely is great
only in a very sad way
quite the comfort when you are feeling down
Blue Motion
10 IQ
i recommend "we shall be healed"

tallahassee is good, but overall it gets boring. we shall be healed isn't as monotonous
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
40 IQ
You also should probably get All Hail West Texas, though.
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
90 IQ
tallahassee does bring the win. that's all i have by them though...=(
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Blue Motion
10 IQ
i guess tallahassee's the one everyone talks about, but i've never really been able to listen to it strait through. but i can definitely listen to we shall be healed strait through. i listened to that strait through for like a month strait after i bought it.

but who cares.

one warning to a new mountain goats fan, i believe there's another band by that name, but they're some kind of religious music. just be sure to check the record labels if you buy one of their cds, make sure it's the good kind of mountain goat
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
'Get Lonely' was ****, practically everything else is masterful. ****ing love my copy of 'Come, come to the sunset tree' to death.

Might be selling a piece of John D's artwork/comic in coming weeks to make some cash. Feel a bit bad thinking about giving it up though.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Gurgle!Argh!
-
100 IQ
quite good. talahasee is best. my band takes its name from one of their songs, sorta.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
anti
Turn On/Tune In/Drop Out
181 IQ
So I saw them preform tallahassee in tallahassee. i win.
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
I personally like listening to their live stuff on YouTube a bit more than listening to John's recordings. Although his older lo-fi stuff is good. Palmcorder Yajna from We Shall Be Healed was the first song of his I ever heard and still my favorite.

*turns him on* god its been too long since I've listened to him...

[edit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPy_fiv3sAw&mode=related&search=

i need to see him live at some point...
Last edited by sre9981 at Jul 18, 2007,
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
Had a dream about buying his records for £5 each in a second hand store last night. I was so proud of myself for finding them so cheap...

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
brandnewjunkie
113 IQ
Quote by slinks
You also should probably get All Hail West Texas, though.

second. i like the new stuff but that one is my favorite.
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
120 IQ
I don't listen to as much Mountain Goats as I would like to.

Perhaps this needs to change.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
Has anyone listened to his collaboration with Aesop Rock (called Coffee off of Aesop Rock's new album None Shall Pass). Its brilliant, and amazing how well they mixed the two almost completely different genres perfectly.

[edit]
you can listen to it here: http://hypem.com/search/aesop%20coffee/1/
Last edited by sre9981 at Sep 16, 2007,
julio1987
Gettin' jiggy wit it
20 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
Had a dream about buying his records for £5 each in a second hand store last night. I was so proud of myself for finding them so cheap...

I'm sorry, but that's a lame dream, I can fly and **** in mine.

My favorite are The Sunset Tree and Get Lonely...
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
^ Yeah, so what!?
£5!!!!!
Absolute bargains

I never usually remember any dreams I have, so thought that one was kind of odd.

'Get Lonely' is sh*t compared to practically every other MG album.

RateYourMusic
julio1987
Gettin' jiggy wit it
20 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
^ Yeah, so what!?
£5!!!!!
Absolute bargains

I never usually remember any dreams I have, so thought that one was kind of odd.

'Get Lonely' is sh*t compared to practically every other MG album.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking or smoking when I wrote that, I probably meant The Coroner's Gambit... I've hardly listened to "Get Lonely" to be honest so I'm don't think I'm qualified to call it ****.
Oh, and usually everyone's got pigtails (the hairdo) in my dreams for some reason
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
Slightly strange. Couldn't say what the people in my dreams look like, they're probably just entirely blank and have a name associated with them. Never really thought of it. Will have to pay more attention in the future.

'The Coroner's Gambit's a much finer choice

RateYourMusic
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
the jack and faye seven inch is really good.

i played "there will always be an ireland" on the radio once and some drunk man called up and was asking if i was from ireland. so i told him that i was irish and he started asking me about my home country. i had to lie to him, so i put on a fake accent and kept talking.
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
I've recently gotten back into the Mountain Goats, esp some of their older catalog. Jack and Faye, Zopilote Machine, and The Coroner's Gambit are all fabulous albums.
crazygluedmybut
30 IQ
My friend sent me All Hail West Texas, New Asian Cinema, and Zopilote Machine last night. ****in' awesome.
Peace.
LoneWanderer13
20 IQ
Bumping this on account of the mountain goats being awesome. I have a lot of difficulty saying what my favorite album is as what album I most want to listen to changes significantly with my mood. I'm even quite fond of Get Lonely (which other people seem to dislike) provided I really want some calmer music. The song Wild Sage is probably my favorite album opener, which is saying quite a bit.

Anyway, I get to see them on the 14th (for the first time). I'm ridiculously excited. Anyone else seeing them in the near future?
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
whatcha all think of Heretic Pride?

i quite like it. first impression was this is more solid an album than Get Lonely was, but it lacks that emotional tie for me...i assume that given time this album will get some event in my life tied to it.
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
Heretic Pride was eh... but thats probably just me talking from the fact that I've been really into his back catalog recently. It just doesn't seem to have the same spark other albums did. Except Lovecraft in Brooklyn, I can't get enough of that.
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
Haven't got it yet, been waiting for the record to come which apparently arrives here next week, and that also means I can pick up the new Nick Cave at the same time.

Heard lots of mixed opinions on it so far so not really expecting too much, especially after 'Get lonely', still don't really enjoy much of that.

Quite looking forward to hearing a bit more of his stuff with Vanderslice though.

RateYourMusic
LoneWanderer13
20 IQ
Heretic Pride is a totally solid album, definitely among my favorite from the mountain goats. The arrangements for a lot of the songs are amazing (I especially love San Bernadino in that respect).
jallas
dying is fine
180 IQ
i got Herectic Pride on a recommendation of a friend. I love it. Need to get more but I'm out of ££
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
Heretic Pride has been growing on me...

As has Lovecraft in Brooklyn. Have I mentioned how awesome that song is? Me being my paranoid self, I am able to identify with it so well, which probably isn't a good thing, is it?
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
He's apparently going to be over here again in September.

Anyone know what's going on with the Uk vinyl version of 'Heretic pride'? Can't find it at all and would rather not over-spend on importing it.

RateYourMusic
sre9981
Woo!
60 IQ
(ironically, I just turned on my school's radio station and they have a show "No Goats". Named so because they accept any and all request except anything by The Mountain Goats. Apparently some people don't like em )
LoneWanderer13
20 IQ
^That's very odd. I wouldn't think they were well known enough to be hated that much. At least in a high school. There are a surprising of mountain goats fans at my college. I regularly see quotes written on the bathroom walls.

Lately I've been listening to the Coroner's Gambit, an album I have had for a while but only listened to once before a few days ago. I'm surprised I hadn't heard more people talking about this album as it quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Page 1 of 5