im planning on getting a new amp soon but im just a little concerned that its a 100 watt all tube combo and i dont do gigs that often so itll be mostly for home practice. so can that be fixed with an attenuator even though its a combo? and would i get a good tone out of it if i turned it down?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Last edited by musicfreak003 at Jul 10, 2007,
Yes and yes.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
u sure? cuz i have a really nice family and really nice neighbors and it would just hurt me if suddenly we all got hearing damage from the 100 watt all tube amp

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by musicfreak003
u sure? cuz i have a really nice family and really nice neighbors and it would just hurt me if suddenly we all got hearing damage from the 100 watt all tube amp

That's what the attenuator is for.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
and how do u get an attenuator to work with a combo?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
^ More or less the same way as with a head. There's oftentimes a short speaker cable that plugs into the back of the amp part of the combo, then is wired to the speaker. You need:

1. Two short lengths of speaker cable, a foot or two each.
2. A female-to-female 1/4 inch connector.
3. The attenuator.

So. Take that speaker cable in your amp, then plug it into the 1/4 inch connector. Then take one short speaker cable, plug it into there and the attenuator. Then plug the other speaker cable into the other side of the attenuator and your amp.

Although 100 watts is a bit much for home practice. Could you get something smaller?
lol ok thnx

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
well see im hoping to get a B-52 AT 212 which is 100 watts and the 60 watt version doesnt have the tri-mode rectifier thing which i thot would be nice. lol

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
I got a quick question and I dont want to start a new thread.

Im new to modding amps, what is a attentuator?

and could it be applied to SS amps? like a Princeton 65DSP?
no, an attenuator cant be used with SS amps. because tube amps sound better when the volumes cranked up higher, attenuators allows u to do that while reducing the actual volume so u can crank ur amp up and get better tones without getting hearing problems. it has nothing to do with modding amps and neither does this thread because this in in the gear and accesories section. this is an attenuator: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
oh, I see I was thinking an attentuator was like a small cube plug thing that went inside the amplifier... thanks for showing me, makes sense why it would only work with Tube amps.

then yes, A low volume with the attentuator should work fine for you. (but obviously im not a expert)

thanks again for explaining that to me
yea and if it wont do anything for u then u'll be paying 300 bucks for nothing

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
the point is that u "cant" use it with SS is cuz it does nothing so y would u its just the same thing anyways y are we arguing about this

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
the reason u buy an attenuator is to use its features but u cant use them with SS amp. so if u cant use the features then u cant use it

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
okok fine theoretically ur right but then it would be the exact same as not using one so i think we are both wrong ok?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Actually, it wouldn't be the same. A cranked SS amps sounds pretty bad, much worse than at low levels.
no i mean a cranked ss amp would sound the same as it was (no better) with a attenuator thats wat i meant so if i cranked s.s. amp soudned like crap, with the attenuator, it would still sound like crap

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Get a lower wattage amp. If you've got a 100w VALVE amp at home, you're bound to kill someone, and you'll have to turn it stupidly low to avoid murder.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
get a smaller amp, besides, the B-52 AT100 isnt that great of an amp. its a poor mans peavey. its really thin sounding, however, it has decent cleans. but the dirty channels (in all 3 settings) just dosent cut it.

and that was a cranked half stack.

get something else.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by musicfreak003
well see im hoping to get a B-52 AT 212 which is 100 watts and the 60 watt version doesnt have the tri-mode rectifier thing which i thot would be nice. lol

Good man! I have the same amp and am in the same situation, bought the bigger one because I wanted all the extra features. It sounds decent (with no attentuator) at bedroom levels (ie like .7/10 volume) but definitely not at it's best. Btw, don't listen to the dude above me, I love the amp and it sounds awesome, loads of heavy gain and a awesome clean channel. Just make sure you try it out
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
actually i think weber does attenuators which work with combos without having to mod anything out.
Quote by Op3th
Good man! I have the same amp and am in the same situation, bought the bigger one because I wanted all the extra features. It sounds decent (with no attentuator) at bedroom levels (ie like .7/10 volume) but definitely not at it's best. Btw, don't listen to the dude above me, I love the amp and it sounds awesome, loads of heavy gain and a awesome clean channel. Just make sure you try it out

have you ever turned it past 5 along with another amp next to it to compare?

i took my buddies b-52 and my JSX side by side, no way it had a ton of gain. it was also very thin.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I had two B52 112 60 watt combos (one right after the other.) Both broke withing a month so I returned them and got the Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt combo which I love. I did not know how much I disliked the sound of the B52 until I got my Peavey. Do what you want, there are horror stories about Valvekings also.
By the way an attenuator is useless for solid state amps to my knowledge. Sure you can run them but they serve no purpose on a ss amp.
Quote by uldhppi
By the way an attenuator is useless for solid state amps to my knowledge. Sure you can run them but they serve no purpose on a ss amp.

i know, thats wat i've been trying to tell 'call1800' lol but i dont think i agree with the guy that says the b-52 AT212 sounds fine above 7, are you SURE you wont get hearing problems at 7 without an attenuator?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
^^^^and how do attenuators work with combos without modding anything?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by musicfreak003
i know, thats wat i've been trying to tell 'call1800' lol but i dont think i agree with the guy that says the b-52 AT212 sounds fine above 7, are you SURE you wont get hearing problems at 7 without an attenuator?

And what we're trying to tell you is that you said "Can't" when the answer is "can". You CAN use an attenuator, even if it doesn't do much for tone, except make it quieter. You can attach an attenuator to a solid state amp the exact same way you to a tube amp. It will work. Therefore, you CAN use one.

"You can't use one" is different from "It's a waste of money to get one for an SS amp."

Just like how you CAN use an MG, or a Spider, but it won't do much for tone.

How do attenuators work with combos? Unplug the speakers, attach it to the attenuator, and attach the amps out put to the input of the attenuator.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
ok fine u guys win

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
lol ok thnx

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117