the distortion soungs really fuzzy for some reason, it almost soulds like the speakers in the cab are blown, but they arent, i hooked up my bandmates head to my cab and i sounds fine. when we ran a les paul through the mesa and sounded even worse (i play a tele). the mesa just sounds kind of quaky and fuzzy with no balls. also when you strike a chord and let it sustain it fades in and out noticably much and when you palm mute it just sounds like ****.
now that being said what could be wrong i've ruled out the cab, that leaves the tubes then i guess? im not the owner of the amp and i dont know if its ever been retubed, but i do let the tubes warm up before i pay and they all glow, except for the three biggest tubes on the right side if you are looking at the back panel, is that normal should they glow as well?

any POSSITIVE input or help is appreciated very much. -dev
Sounds like you have a/some bad tubes
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I use to own a duel rec and it sounds like a tube has gone bad the 3 big tubes are the rectifier tubes they don't glow as bright as the rest of them so I would check them in a completely dark room paying attention to the base and the very top of them. have you had any other noise problems? like weird high pitch sounds? it sounds more like a power amp tube gone bad. but I would also check the preamp tubes also there should be 5 or 6 of them sticking up out of the chassis you will have to remove the spring loaded heat shields to see them, there again I would check them in a dark room because they don't give off much light either. check the mesa site they also have a lot of helpful info.
Amps: Vox AC-30 and a Modified Peavey Classic Vt.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul and a Schecter 7-string.
MFX & Pedals: Line 6 Pod Xt, Jekyll & Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal and a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive.
Quote by heyjohnnypark!
the distortion soungs really fuzzy (i play a tele). the mesa just sounds kind of quaky and fuzzy with no balls.

Quote by heyjohnnypark!

(i play a tele)

Theres your main problem...maybe...unless I read your explanations wrong. I dont think it would be the tubes. Recheck the EQ and whatnot.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Theres your main problem...maybe...unless I read your explanations wrong. I dont think it would be the tubes. Recheck the EQ and whatnot.

well it did't used to sound that way, the ****ty sound of the amp is a fairly recent development, i ran a les paul through it and it sounded even ****tier
Classic preamp tube problem. Get your hand on some 12AX7s and go through and change them... If you can't change all of them, just change a couple at a time till you find the culprit.

Side note: just because a tube lights up doesnt mean it's working properly.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Test your tubes out to see if one has a microphonic problem.

Cut the amp on and turn the guitar volume up a tad and tap on each tube lightly with a pencil. If you hear one ring or make a wierd noise, change that tube, its gone bad. I'd recommend trying out a different speaker cable as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JC13
Interesting little thing, where'd you hear this? And does it, like...actually work?

I've heard about it on UG before and I think its in my Mesa Boogie manual. It works if your tubes are bad but if they're working fine than you wont' hear anything.

I'd also rearrange your tubes.

Say you have the 6 in there, I'd rotate them inside to outside. (123456 to 456123)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JC13
Interesting little thing, where'd you hear this? And does it, like...actually work?

yes it works.. use the pencil eraser... just ever so lightly tap on the preamp tubes. You'll recognize the weird ping / microphonic noise.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by JC13
^Did you try running your head through a bandmates cab? And what happened then?

and btw I don't think him playing a tele would make it do that..

yesh, i ran his lp through the mesa into his cab and it sounded fudgy and weak almost like a speaker is blown, thanks for all the help guys