Hey good people, im just wondering how to find which notes are actually bendable.
Other than trial and error ofcourse, because some things may sound good but arent exactly in key. Im talking about music theory wise and staying in key, what notes work in bending. Thank you
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
? they are all bendable. will just have to be bent more then others to reach the desired pitch

edit: for example in A minor, if i want to bend to A i could start on G and bend a whole step up to A, or I could even start on G# (off key note) and bend it 1/2 step to A. Or maybe even F and bend it up 1 1/2 steps. Or I can even Prebend the A note to a B and then let go and itll go to an A. Theres so many things you can do.
Yes, what matters is the finish note not the start note. Bending a dissonant note into a consonant note is discussed in Marty Friedman's melodic control video.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Figure out what scale you're soloing in or at least what notes are in the scale. Bending to a note in the scale always sounds good, some notes just sound better being sustained than other ones. I might be underestimating you, but memorize the notes in the scale so you can find them on the fretboard no matter what position you're in.
yeah that makes alot of sense but you know it just seems impossible to make some notes bendable, for instance the A or G in in the minor pentatonic scale(A), first position atleast, but ok i just realized that its not that a note is bendable or not, its about whether the bend will hit a note in the key or not. Yeah i sort of knew that but i needed some guidance, thanks alot folks.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

Yeah, basically you just need to look at the notes of whatever scale you're playing, and bend from the note you start on, to the next note in the scale. In the case most 7 note scales that will either be a whole or a half step. In the case of a Pentatonic scale that will either be a whole step or 1 1/2 step bend.

Also it's worth mentioning that what notes work and what notes don't is highly dependent on the chord you're playing the scale over. If you're trying to solo over a powerchord you can use any scale with a root and a 5th in it. In fact I'm willing to bet that in that case any note would work. The key is figuring out which notes are leading tones and which notes are passing tones.
usually in the pentatonic you bend a full step. you can bend pretty much any note though. you can do wide bends too which would be a step and a half or more. or you can do a half step bend. you just need to know the note you want to bend too. you can bend from out of key into key to make an exotic effect as well.
Well I am going to try to explain as clearly as possible. Well for example, you have the notes A, A# and C in one scale. For the A to be "Bendable", you should stay in the same scale. You can bend the A a half note [which is the A# that is in the same scale], and the A# a whole step [which is the C note, also in the same scale].
Well if you are bending a note in a scale, and the next note in teh scale is a half step from the one ur bending, you dont want to bend the note up a full step, but only a half. Or if the next note is a whole step away you dont want to bend the note a half step, then you will be out of key and it just sounds bad.
ahh yeah,,with alot of experimenting i see how this works,, some notes seem almost impossible to bend. I said almost.

Well thanks alot guys,,that clears alot
Quote by greendayguitar