My little brother's birthday is coming up soon and I'm thinking about getting him a bass. He kind of wants it he says...but I think he'd like it if he had one. Plus, one of his friends needs a bass player in his band. I taught Smoke on the Water on the guitar and he learned it a lot faster than I did or anyone else that I know that learned their first riff. I thought about getting him an SX bass, but I know nothing about them...(or any other basses really). My price range is like $150 I guess...I'd like to keep it at $100 but I think that will be a piece of shit. I'd also like to get him an amp with it because everyone else in my family has got him stuff and I don't want to be rude and ask them to buy him an amp.

EDIT: Lefty if possible.

Thanks for reading/posting.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Last edited by Dilweed at Jul 10, 2007,
well, you can get the Ibanez GSR 200/190 for $150 used
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Look at Squier, Peavey, Yamaha and Ibanez for starter basses. They are always the most recommended on here, and generally make solid instruments.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
M'kay. Does anyone know if I can get a good bass AND amp for $150 (idc if used). M'kay? And this thing doesn't look bad. And it's really cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-SR305DX-Bass-Guitar-Fender-Squier-BP-15-Amp_W0QQitemZ230149017648QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38080QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Quote by Captain Insano

I think the bigger problem is that it's left-handed.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
I think the bigger problem is that it's left-handed.

Quote by Dilweed
Lefty if possible.

Not Really Though.
Quote by Captain Insano
Not Really Though.

I didn't see that, it's just becasue the TS put a RH bass as one they saw. Sorry about that. The edit wasn't there when I first read his post.
Founder of Jaco society

I've heard from several more experienced basses that those cheap SX basses are actually quite good for the money. They play well and sound pretty good too. The ones I've specifically heard about and the P and J bass knockoffs. I can't vouch for the other $99 model.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I think I can swing a Jimi Hendrix and just flip the strings around on the bass if I can't find a lefty, but it sure would look better and be easier. And yeah, I think I might end up getting one of those cheap SX basses, because they have A LOT of lefty models and a package at a decent price (I highly doubt the amp is of any quality AT ALL, but oh well nothing on eBay is that cheap lefty). He can get a different amp and bass later if he really likes it anyway, this is just sort of to introduce it to him.

EDIT: My friend made a guitar out of a jello box it's pretty funny, it was for guitar though and he read in some magazine how to make it. I could ask him if the amp said it was strictly for guitar or not and it was only $40 to make and runs off a 9 volt battery. I doubt it could get as loud as a 15 watt solid state (even though that is really quiet) so I guess I'll get him the one with the package.
Quote by FireandFlames
First I'd like to congratulate you for the effort and money you put into your little brother..
..I hope my brother would buy me a bass

Second, the SX basses appear to be good, but its hard to believe that a half decent bass and amp will be sold for 100$-150$.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech