yo.

Can someone explain counterpoint to me please?

im stumped.

cheers.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Did you read the article in the sticky yet?
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I tried, but still there was nothing but stumpage.

i just cant seem to relate it to any music i know of.

anyone have any concise examples of counterpoint?

cheers.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by FunkasPuck

anyone have any concise examples of counterpoint?

Anything by J.S. Bach. The Renaissance and Baroque eras were the height of counterpoint. There is absolutely no way to explain 2 years of university classes to you in a guitar thread, but the definative book is called "Gradus Ad Parnassum" by Johann Fux.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0393002772&itm=1
^Especially the renaissance, that was really the time of counterpoint. All of the old vihuela pieces are written in it.
A counter part is a harmony play in diffrent directions and rhythms, the notes a still strategically placed to harmonize correctly. but diffrent rhythms and notes are used, they often stray from each other but meet up to releave tension. They often still suggest the chord proggression underneath but still sue passing to tones to expemplify their simplicity.
Quote by FunkasPuck
i just cant seem to relate it to any music i know of.

You gotta listen to stuff from the baroque era. I'm studying the piano and a lot of the music I have to play was written back in the 1700s for harpsichords and clavichords and they are all perfect examples of counterpoint.

I'm not sure if it was ever really used on the guitar, since counterpoint requires polyphony, two independent voices. This would easily be played on a keyboard instrument because the player has two hands to play the two melodies. I'd define counterpoint as two independent voices that could sound just fine separately being played together.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^Just to assure you, as a classical guitarist I encounter well...... infinite counterpoint.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.