well for a while i've been playing with a practice amp which suited my needs until i realized i can't even overpower a drummer. so i just ordered my epi g400 a few days ago and i need a better amp. i was really considering the Line 6 Spider III 75 Modeling Combo Amp for $300. all i really need is 75 watts, no more. with that in mind as well as a $300 to $400 price range, do you think this is a good amp to get? opinions on this amp or opinions on other amps in the same price range? thanks!
well, it's probably not the best idea to mention buying a Line 6 Spider around here, not many people like them at all. I, however, think it's fine, especially considering you're going from a little 15W amp and I'm assuming you haven't really played very long either. Umm, what you could do is just go to different websites and look at all the amps in your price range, read reviews, and you should probably go to a guitar center or some store and test some amps out so you can get a feel for what you want. It's all preference.
I wouldn't suggest getting a 75w Spider if you play with a drummer. Actually I wouldn't suggest getting ANY Spider period. They sound really bad when turned to high volumes, which you're going to be doing if you play with a drummer, right? I would actually consider a tube combo if I were you, they're much louder then SS amps, and will last you a LOT longer. And if they break, they're generally a lot easier to fix than SS amps. Some tube combos in your price range would be the Fender Blues Jr. (15w) or the Pignose G40V. But if you need a SS/modeling amp with some good effects, check out the Roland Cube 60. It sounds better than the Spider at higher volumes, and has better effects. And it's $345.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_roland_cube_60_guitar_amp?full_sku=480197
I dunno what you play, but save up another $100 and get a 30 Watt Crate Palomino 1x12.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V32-Palomino-30-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo?sku=487828
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Last edited by TehNez at Jul 10, 2007,
Thats 100 bucks out of his budget.

try the V16, 15 watts all tube (Which will be a lot louader than your SS 15w)
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
don't buy a line 6 amp. I own the 30 watt spider 3 and it sounds HORRIBLE at loud volumes. And after I turned mine up half way, the speaker started crackling and wierd ass noises. It probably won't be good for playing with a band. If I get a bigger amp, I might just keep it as a practice amp cause thats all it's good for
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by igotabcrich32
Thats 100 bucks out of his budget.

try the V16, 15 watts all tube (Which will be a lot louader than your SS 15w)

Oh my bad, I looked at the price of the 15 watt, and got the link for the 30 watt.

I'd still say save up another $100 and get the 30...A 15 watt MIGHT be just loud enough depending on how heavy your drummer plays, but it's better to have the headroom.

It's not like it's SO loud you'll never be able to crank it.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
i pretty much play everything from classic rock to metal.

haha and btw that pic is kickass!!
well if everyone says the same thing that the line 6 sounds like **** when you turn it up i guess i got to believe that then. good thing i check here first instead of buying on impulse.
Quote by JordanRRR
i pretty much play everything from classic rock to metal.

haha and btw that pic is kickass!!

Deffinatly get the Palomino then. It's perfect for classic rock. And you can always get a pedal do metal.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I concur on the Palomino.

You could try to save up a little more for a Peavey Valveking 112, although the Palomino is a better amp and the VK would need a pedal to get into metal territory.

...and about the picture, I was tired of asking the same question everytime so I thought I'd just make that. There are a few other ones too .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
palomino ftw
I was thinking about getting one also.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
The Palominos are nice, and they're coming down in price, too. The V23 for $500 is a nice deal.

$300 or so on the used market should just about be able to get you something like a nice little Peavey Classic 30, though. Used is the way to go.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.