I've seen people talking about this and I don't know what it is. I'm thinking of buying a 100watt all tube halfstack so, is that used to make it quieter?

Could someone explain to me how it's set up and how it works? and would it be a good idea that I get one?
In order to get the best sound out of a tube amp you have to have it up all the way to get all that tube power. what the attenuator does is it allows you to get all the power out of the tube amp making it sound its best at low volumes
^ correct. You just hook it up with in between your amp and your cab.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Basically an attenuator lets you run your tubes at a high output, but has a sound cut. So to get that nice tube sound you might need to run your amp at a volume of say 7, but usually this is too loud for practice. So an attenuator lets you run your tubes at that output but lowers the volume so you have a hot tube sound at a reasonable volume. The only problem with attenuators is that since you are pushing your tubes harder they will burn out faster and some people say that attenuators are not good for your amp. I'm not sure if thats true but you might want to do some more research or just get a lower wattage amp (50 is usually enough, especially if you're going to mic it).
yeah i have a 50 watt marshall halfstack and thats plenty of power. plus its got a switch to make it 25 watts. oh yeah and some people say power attenuators are bad for your amp and can result burnt out tubes faster and blown output transformer
^Headroom? Only version of the amp?
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Perhaps he's like me. There was a 60w or 100w version of the amp I wanted to buy and the 100w had an extra gain channel, bright switch for the clean, low res, and a tri-rectifier. To me, the extra features were worth getting the bigger amp.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I want a 100 watt halfstack because it's supposed to be an amazing amp and I don't want to buy a bigger amp later on. If I get a smaller one I might think it's not loud enough or it's too ****ty and need to upgrade but I don't want to do that.

the attentuator doesn't seem like a good idea if it burns out tubes faster. the amp should still sound good at like 1 or 2?
idk bout 100 watts at 1 or 2 but for practice i usually have mine on 25 watt setting between 2 and 4 and it sounds pretty good. not as good as cranked up though
Quote by chrisx182
I want a 100 watt halfstack because it's supposed to be an amazing amp and I don't want to buy a bigger amp later on. If I get a smaller one I might think it's not loud enough or it's too ****ty and need to upgrade but I don't want to do that.

The flipside of that is buying an amp that's too big, that you never get to hit that sweet tube saturated sound in any small/medium gig situation, and you wind up needing to replace it with a smaller amp.

Been there. My 60W 1x12 amp is generally too big. My 30W Vox is just right.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i have the same problem right now and i don't know what to do if i find an attenuator that doesn't take too much of my tone, i'll stick with it, but if not, i guess i'll have to buy an smaller amp
Quote by chrisx182

the attentuator doesn't seem like a good idea if it burns out tubes faster. the amp should still sound good at like 1 or 2?

An attenuator doesn't burn out tubes fast, it's because you run it at high power that the tubes are pushed.

Also, I made this mistake alot too, it's spelled attenuator, not attentuator.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Did you know a 100W amp is only twice as loud as a 10W? 30-60W will be fine. Unless, of course, the specific amp you're looking for only comes in a 100W halfstack format. Which amp are you looking at anyways?
Quote by SlinkyMcdougall
Did you know a 100W amp is only twice as loud as a 10W? 30-60W will be fine. Unless, of course, the specific amp you're looking for only comes in a 100W halfstack format. Which amp are you looking at anyways?

it's the B-52 At-100 with fender cab.

reason I want a halfstack is because I have seen NO combo that is good for pop punk and one that I like. but thats because the store in my town SUCKS 2 tube amps in total in the whole store and they're combos, 1 has distortion the other one doesn't. but I will have to make a trip up to a store in Windsor that is 45 mins away to see what they have. last itme I was there I was looking at halfstacks not combos. And I don't want to order one because if I don't like it im stuck with it. otherwise, I'd probly get the B-52 212 or 112