Hi,
I have recently purchased a steel string guitar and have been practicing rock on it for a while. But lately I have become interested in classical. I know that I should be getting a nylon string classical guitar instead, but I don't have enough money to do that. Is it ok and typical to play classical (e.g. Spanish) on steel string? What kind of issues should I be aware of? My fingers hurt from all the fingerpicking, but maybe it is just because I am a nob :P Thanks!
Your picking hand fingertips are going to hurt like hell dude. I play classical songs on my acoustic Taylor sometimes and after about 5 songs my fingertips hurt. Im sure if I play classical on the steel string the entire time they would toughen up, but I like the classical much better for my classical music. Plus on the steel string the frets are closer than a classical guitar,and the neck is smaller than a classical. So that means the strings are closer so less room for fingerpicking. Plus it sounds way different imo.
When I first started classical lessons I used my old Crafter steel-string and the switch to a classical guitar later on wasn't as bad as I expected. It does wreck your fingertips (I play with my nails, though) and the neck is easier to play, and of course the tone on a classical is much nicer (though for certain songs, a steel string can sound just as good, if not better).

Guitarfreak777 pretty much got everything.
Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Confusius or Marmoseti to join
its also much easier to play finger pick with nylon strings because they "slip more" as oppose to steel.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
ive been playing classical "style" now for about 4 years (Mostly electric player) and ALthough i have a nylon string, i play alot of fingerstyle songs on my steel string for two reasons.

If you are ever asked to play, and dont have a pick, then you are going to be thrown off- a classical guitar has a wider fretboard.

and,....

I just prefer the tone of a steel string on finger tips (i dont use my nails)
Not Enough AssHatery
People may think that a steel string's difference lies only in the physical and tone differences. I can assure you that at an intermediate level and above, the steel string will never have the dynamic range and tonal colour range to tackle a classical guitar piece.
Thanks alot for all the replies. I will stay with the steel string for now and change to the classical once I can afford it. A follow up question which I know have been discussed multiple times already. If I buy a <300 dollar classical guitar, which one would be good? Rodriguez seems to be 300+ at least, and there aren't any local stores in boston that I can try it out first. I read alot of reviews bashing Yamaha, and Ibanez GA5 with all its plastic parts doesn't seem too appealing. Is there a general consensus as to whats a good classical guitar? Thanks!
Then Yamaha will be the way to go. Ibanez, Fender won't make good classicals. Manuel Rodriguez isn't great as well. Get either a solid top Yamaha or if you can afford, Alhambra/Esteve. A cheaper alternative to the 2 Spanish brands would be Admira, nowhere near the quality but still decent.
The big issue will be tone - my friend only had an acoustic and when i play classical on it the tone just sucks and makes it sound crappy.
I finally got my Yamaha CG151S yesterday. Thanks alot for everyone's help!
ive been playing classical on my steel string for a good 3 or 4 months and my fingers dont rly hurt... however when i was learning some flamenco techniques like rasquaedos the skin behind my nails were peeling and THAT hurt like a bitch, the only thing that may be of a problem is that when you get a classical guitar, classical guitars strings are spaced farther apart, so if u are used to the steel string it may take a bit to get into it
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Dont believe the nonsense. You can fingerpick just fine on a steel string. Of course at first its gonna hurt, but your fingertips will toughen up.

And if any tells you that you cant get good dynamic tone from fingerpicking a steel string, just tell them to listen to Tommy Emmanuel (sp?). Best acoustic tone EVER.
I play a lot in fingerstyle with acoustic guitar, so my fingers hurt a little bit, but eventualy pain goes away. In my opinion it's nothing wrong to play classical songs on steel-string guitar, but I think, that it's best to play classical music on classical guitar. The sound is really so much different. I don't have classical guitar, but from listening to songs played by classical guitar, it really sounds so much different.