I'm looking to upgrade my amp setup. I'm into thrash, power, and classic metal, as well as some modern stuff. I currently have two LTDs equipped with EMGs, and an Ibanez Prestige with stock pups. I'm looking for something with a nice clean channel, and something for heavy chunky rhythms and a great lead channel. I was leaning towards a Mesa DC or Mark series since I'm looking for Mesa-ish tones (metallica, testament). However, they tend to be on the expensive side, I also need something that can handle SRV bluesy tones, thrash metal and modern metal, and a terrific cutting lead channel. IS the Carvin V3 a good option to consider? What sorts of metal tones can it achieve? Are there any drawbacks to this amp?
You have to try it to see if it's you. The distortion is VERY chunky and rough, perfect for Thrash, Death Metal, stuff like that. But if you want a smoother tone (Bluesy, Shreddy) I don't know if it will work for you. I just tried one a bit ago and it wasn't for me...But I did like a used x100-B that they had in the store
You know, everyone's gonna have a sh*t fit when I say this, but Peavey XXX. I've got one, and I get the sweetest blues tone from it. Everyone knows it's great for metal, it's got tight distortion, three density settings for tight, medium or loose, and three channels. The amp's a monster, and I switch regularly from metal to rock to blues and even some funk on it - it sounds mint. If that's not your cup of tea, though - check out Peavey's JSX. That thing runs the gamut of tone.
I have one, and i think its a great amp. 100w, plenty of power for whatever i need. Most people hate the amp cause its not like "other amps". I have no ****ing idea what they mean by that.

I was at a buddies house when i decided that i needed to upgrade my amp, and i asked if i could try his out. He had one, but he played more death/melodic metal. I was more of bluesy/rock/satch lover.

I fell in love with it, it was awesome. Carvin has a video of how capable it is in achieving any tone possible. I cannot stress how much you need to try one of these things. Its great

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE to this amp is that is has no build in effects. Other then that, its a great amp.

Post any questions you have, its a great amp.
^Built in effects should never be the deciding factor in buying an amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
good recto clone, i was amazingly impressed with how good it replicated a recto, and for the price its a much better solution
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I saw Redemption open up for Dream Theater on the 14th, they had Carvin V3's.

http://www.myspace.com/thebandredemption

You can check out their tone for yourself to see if that helps your decision. I liked what I was hearing. Unless I find a buyer for my Mesa F-100 within a month I'm buying a V3 and I'm going to AB by signal into both amps.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I saw Redemption open up for Dream Theater on the 14th, they had Carvin V3's.

http://www.myspace.com/thebandredemption

You can check out their tone for yourself to see if that helps your decision. I liked what I was hearing. Unless I find a buyer for my Mesa F-100 within a month I'm buying a V3 and I'm going to AB by signal into both amps.

When I saw them it looked to me like the one guitarist was running both V3's and the other guitarist was using a Line 6 rackmount amp...But i'm not 100% sure.

I own a V3 and I absolutely love it. I have been able to find any tone i've needed to find. It's very versatile. It can go from the cleanest of cleans to pretty brutal. You can dial in a good tone in a few minutes, but if you want to find a GREAT tone you have to do some knob turning which I am still working on after 2 years of having it.

It does come with no built in effects, but Carvin built this amp knowing that most of their customers would use it with a rackmount, so why add the extra weight and everything? Plus that would up the price which is a great selling aspect for the V3. I use it with a rackmount processor that has every effect i'd ever need so thats no problem for me at least.

It is more then loud enough, I have it on 50 watt mode, and even doing large shows I have never put it above 3 or 4 and it screams.

Here is a short sound clip from a song i'm in the process of working on that shows how I use the V3 on an everyday basis.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=5664058&key=6732B239-8